Funny: In the Heights
- The origin of Usnavi's name.
"It was engraved on a passing ship the day your family came! Your father said 'Usnavi! That's what we'll name the baby!'""It really said US Navy, but hey! I worked with what they gave me, okay?"
"I'm the #1 earner, the fastest learner, my boss can't keep me on the damn back burner!""Yes he can!"
- "How do you get this gold shit off?! D:"
- Usnavi at the club. Let's just say when he says he doesn't get out much...it shows.
- "She was my babysitter first!", "Does your cousin dance?" "...Like a drunk Chita Rivera", and many other lines by Sonny.
"You must be thinkin'"I'm up shit's creekI never been north of ninety-sixth street!"Well you must take the A TrainEven farther than HarlemTo northern Manhattan and maintainGet off at 181st, and take the escalatorI hope you're writing thisDown, I'm gonna test ya later"
- Usnavi in "In The Heights" when he gives directions on how to get to Washington Heights, especially when Lin-Manuel Miranda directs the "test ya later" line at an audience member
- Several lines in "96,000," especially "Yo yo yo yo yo: I'm sorry, is that an answer? Shut up, go home, and pull your damn pants up!"
- Or "Damn, we only jokin'. Stay broke, then."
- In the club, Vanessa leaves Usnavi to dance with other guys in what is strongly hinted to be an Operation Jealousy. Usnavi decides two can play at that game and decides to chat up a hot girl at the bar. Being Usnavi, he runs at the mouth for several measures before panicking and begging her to say something:
Hot Girl: No hablo ingles.Usnavi: Yes!
- The minute the power goes out in the club, the entire theater is pitch black. Cue all the actors on stage pulling out cell phones for light.
- Daniela & Carla's gossip from "In the Heights" when they walk into Usnavi's bodega
Daniela: "She screams, 'Who's in there with you, Julio?' Grabs a bat and kicks in the door! He's in bed with Jose from the liquor store!"Carla & Usnavi: "No me diga!"
- In fact, the entire song "No Me Diga" where Daniela & Carla try to solicit gossip from Vanessa and Nina
Daniela: They say he's got quite a big..taxi.Carla: I don't think I know what you mean.Daniela: Carla! He's packing a stretch limosine!Carla: As long as he keeps it clean.
- Especially the this exchange:
- In "Finale" when Graffiti Pete lifts the grate to show his mural, after a beat of silence:
Graffiti Pete: He hates it.Sonny: He's forming an artistic opinion.
- The song "Piragua", which implies a rivalry with the unseen Mr. Softee ice cream man, and the reprise, where he expresses glee that the truck has broken down, meaning that his business will double, "I told you I run this town!"
- Graffiti Pete's sale's pitch for his T-shirt.