Film / Uptown Girls
is a 2003 film starring Brittany Murphy
and Dakota Fanning
. The plot is comedic and mainly involves Molly Gunn playing nanny to Larraine "Ray" Schleine
. There's also an romantic subplot, and the story also deals with dead parents
, growing up, and delves into the characters' issues.
This film provides examples of:
- Bookends: Ray says something insightful at the opening and closing of the movie.
- Casting Couch: Neal got his record deal by sleeping with Ray's mom.
- Control Freak: Ray is written all over this trope.
- Cool Big Sis: Molly tries to play this to Ray.
- Deadpan Snarker: Ingrid and Ray.
- Dumbass Has a Point: Ray and Molly have a tea party-
Ray: Why are you buttering a plastic scone?
Molly: ...Why are there plastic scones when we have real food on the table? Huh?
- Freudian Excuse: The reason Molly is such a Woman Child is because she never received closure for her parents' passing, and getting lost in a party animal lifestyle is her way of keeping the grief at bay.
- Ironic Echo: "Fundamentals are the building blocks of fun."
- It's All Junk: Molly sells her deceased rock star dad's collection of guitars for significantly less than she anticipates, and she goes through with the sale just to get rid of them.
- Known Only by Their Nickname: "Nobody calls me Lorraine."
- Little Miss Snarker
- Manic Pixie Dream Girl : A bit of a subversion in that the film deals mostly with the women's perspective. Molly could be this to Neal the burgeoning rock star, but their relationship is doomed until they both grow up.
- My Parents Are Dead: Molly essentially says this to Neal, and later describes the situation to Ray.
- Parental Abandonment: Both Molly and Ray, but in different ways.
- Parental Neglect: Ray's mother cares little for her daughter's emotional wellbeing, preferring to simply fund whatever happens to keep her complacent, and misinterprets Ray's Troubling Unchildlike Behaviour as a sign of maturity. By the epilogue, thanks to a "The Reason You Suck" Speech from Molly, it appears that she has started to make amends.
- Pinky Swear: Subverted, as the fear of germs gets in the way of the pinkies linking.
- Royalties Heir : Molly has been living on the royalties from her dad's music.
- Shout-Out: "What is this, The Shining?"
- Spoiled Sweet: Molly is vastly out of touch with the world outside her wealth, but she's still a friendly woman who cares for people.
- There Are No Therapists: Averted.
Molly: Kid, have you ever been to a shrink?
Ray: Since I was three.
- Troubling Unchildlike Behaviour: Ray, Ray, Ray. The pill-popping, the ridiculously advanced vocabulary, the flipping off of anyone who dares displease her, etc.
- Walking Shirtless Scene: Neal spends almost as much screen time without his shirt on as he does with it.
- Wise Beyond Their Years: Ray.