is a classic 1927 Silent Movie
that marks the first ever
Boisterous gangster kingpin Bull Weed rehabilitates his former lawyer from his alcoholic haze, but complications arise when latter falls for Weed's girlfriend.Not to be confused
with the similarly titled
vampire/werewolf film franchise Underworld
This film provides examples of:
- The Alcoholic: Rolls Royce.
- All Women Are Lustful: Bull Weed's neighbor gives him a horny look but he is too occupied with the police being after him and turns her down.
- Anguished Declaration of Love: Feathers towards Rolls Royce when latter reveals his plan to split town for good.
- Attempted Rape: Mulligan tries to rape Feathers.
- Beauty, Brains and Brawn: Feathers, Rolls Royce, and Bull Weed.
- Blind Alley: Rolls Royce shakes off the police following him by hiding in a doorway.
- Bookcase Passage: Thereís a secret hideaway behind the bookcase.
- Can't Get Away with Nuthin'
- Cat Scare: Perhaps one of the earliest examples. Bull Weed hears sounds in the hall and thinks itís the cops, but he looks and itís just a mangy kitten.
- Cleaning Up Romantic Loose Ends: See Death of the Hypotenuse.
- Cloud Cuckoolander: Slippy Lewis
- Costume Porn: All of Feathersís outfits.
- Crazy Jealous Guy: Bull Weed. He even gets mad at Rolls Royce just for dancing with his girlfriend at the ball.
- Damn, It Feels Good to Be a Gangster
- Death of the Hypotenuse: Bull's death clears the way for Feathers and Rolls Royce to resolve their UST and be happy ever after.
- Do Not Do This Cool Thing
- Extra! Extra! Read All About It!: In 1927, at least they had an excuse.
- The Flapper: Feathers
- Fluffy Fashion Feathers: They donít call her Feathers for nothing.
- Frame-Up: Bull Weed tries to frame Mulligan for robbing the jewelry store.
- The Guards Must Be Crazy: The only guard watching Bull Weed decides to play checkers with him. Surprise, surprise, he knocks him out, steals the keys, and escapes.
- Hair-Trigger Temper: Mulligan.
- He Cleans Up Nicely: Once Rolls Royce combs his hair, shaves, and puts on a nice suit, he is barely even recognizable as the hobo from before.
- Held Gaze: Rolls Royce and Feathers share a couple of these looks.
- Heroic Sacrifice: Bull Weed gives himself up to be hanged so his friends can get away safely.
- Hypocritical Humor: Bull Weed berates a boy for stealing an apple, but steals one for himself when no one is looking.
- Imagine Spot:
- Rolls Royce has one when he glances at the keys in his hand and then pictures how they would open up the secret door for Bull.
- Bull has one when spotting the feather in Rolls Royce' cigarette case - fueled with envy he imagines Rolls Royce and Feathers kissing passionately.
- Improbable Aiming Skills: Mulligan hitting the feeding dish with his $10 note.
- In Love with the Gangster's Girl: Rolls Royce happens to be.
- Institutional Apparel: Averted with Bull who keeps to wear his personal clothes in prison.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: Bull is a cruel gangster but also shows redeeming qualities like helping out people in need or caring about a Cute Kitten.
- Just A Flesh Wound: Bullets can't stop Rolls Royce.
- Last Request: For his last meal Bull requests the "juiciest steak in Dreamland."
- Leave No Witnesses: Subverted. In the opening scene, Rolls Royce comes to witness Bull's bank robbery. He is taken hostage but instead of killing him, Bull takes Rolls under his wings and both become good friends.
- Love Triangle: Between Bull, Feather and Rolls Royce.
- Meaningful Name: Feathers.
- Nice to the Waiter: When Rolls Royce is sweeping up at the speakeasy, Bull Weed defends him from Mulligan when he harasses him.
- Only Known by Their Nickname: Pretty much everybody.
- Quick Nip: Bull offers his hip flask to Rolls' to see how much of drinker he is.
- Redemption Equals Death: Bull decides to stay behind and face justice after he realizes that he was all wrong about Feathers and Rolls Royce.
- The Roaring Twenties
- Second Face Smoke: 'Slippy' Lewis gets this treatment by some patron at the Dreamland Cafť.
- Shoot Out the Lock: Bull tries this with the secret door but it wouldn't open for him.
- The Smart Guy: Rolls Royce.
- Smoking Is Glamorous: Rolls Royce celebrates it.
- Unresolved Sexual Tension: Between Feathers and Rolls Royce.
- Unspoken Plan Guarantee: The audience knows what The Plan to break out Bull Weed is, so he breaks out another way.
- Ur Example: The first modern gangster picture.
- White Flag: How Bull signals his surrender to the police.