So, you're running down the street or down the hall, with the pursuer(s) hot on your heels. How to get out of this sticky situation?
Why, run into an alley or street to the side, of course!
Rest assured that your pursuer(s) will blindly dash past you - apparently, their peripheral vision is conveniently deactivated
as they approach your hideout. This will happen even if they should be capable of seeing you entering the hideout.
See also Behind the Black
Not to be confused
with characters being pursued down an actual "blind alley", only to find themselves up against a Chain Link Fence
or other dead-end.
Anime and Manga
- Venus Wars has Hiro Seno escaping from the police after his bike is shot at and explodes, but he dives into a doorway to a side alley. The police proceed forward to the explosion, believing he has died in the fire.
- Averted in Inception. Cobb runs down an alley to try and ditch several agents that are chasing him. They notice him stuck in between the two buildings at the other end of the narrowing alley and he barely escapes them.
- Occurred in the mock buster Mega Piranha.
- Seen in one of the short films made for 28 Weeks Later. A man is pressed up against a wall as the Rage virus infected run past the alley — presumably, their blinding anger prevents them from doing common sense things like looking around for someone who's gone out of sight.
- Escape from Sobibor: One of the guards goes into a senior officer's office and discovers him by spotting blood and following its trail, marking the turning point of the escape when they had previously gotten along without widespread discovery.
- Alarm für Cobra 11
- Happens in an episode of Friends, "The One in Barbados, Part 2". Ross and Charlie enter a room down the corridor while their pursuers continue down the hall.
- A game mechanic in the Assassin's Creed series. Get out of the guards' line of sight, jump into a convenient well or haystack, and wait for the guards to lose interest.
- In the second episode of There she is!!, the cat is trying to deliver the cake to his bunny girlfriend and hides in an alley from the rhino, dog, and other animals chasing him.
- Played for Laughs in The Hire: Star, where an incredibly abusive singer's driver decides to have some fun at her expense, leading her bodyguards (trying to catch up in an SUV) in a high speed chase through a city, at one point backing into an alleyway to see if they'd "lost them".
- The guards drive past, and he proceeds to tear out of the alley, pull up along side them, wink at them, and then take off again.