LOL (Laughing Out Loud) is a 2008 comedy film starring Sophie Marceau, Christa Theret, and Alexandre Astier, about the coming of age of Lola (nicknamed "lol"), her issues with her friends, and her troubled relationship with her mother.Was remade in 2012 with Miley Cyrus, Demi Moore, and Ashley Greene. Neither film is to be confused with an acronym for a very popular MOBA, or anything else sharing said acronym.
This film provides examples of:
- A Party, Also Known as an Orgy: Subverted - it really is an orgy.
- Divorce Is Temporary: Averted. While relations between Ann and Alain seems to be more than good (specially when it comes about their children), one of the plot points is Ann getting over with her marriage and finally dating other man than her ex-husband.
- Drugs Are Bad: Inverted. There is a children-parents lecture by Fair Cop, but both teens and their parents either ridicule it or like Lola and her mother - argue about why each of them should stop smoking weed. Then the same cop, being from anti-drug unit, doesn't take any consequences for weed possesion and smoking from Ann's friends. More - he smokes with them.
- Foreign Queasine: One of the stereotypes played hard with British.
- Foreign Remake: From Dramedy for parents and their growing up kids into a Lighter and Softer teen-comedy.
- Gratuitous English: The title, necessary for a double-meaning though it may be.
- Mistaken for Gay: Lola, by her mother, after reading her diary.
- My Beloved Smother: How Lola sees her loving and caring mother.