Film: Just Visiting
Just Visiting is a 2001 comedy remake of the French film Les Visiteurs staring Jean Reno, Christina Applegate, Christian Clavier, Malcolm McDowell, Tara Reid, and Bridgette Wilson.In 12th century England, Lord Thibault Malféte is about to marry Princess Rosalind, the daughter of the reigning King. At the wedding banquet, the Earl of Warwick gives Thibault a potion given to him by a witch (originally intended for Rosalind) which causes him to hallucinate, and under its influence, he kills his own bride, believing her to be a monster. While under sentence of death, his servant Andre finds a wizard to help him. The wizard gives him a potion that will send him back to the moment before he killed the Princess. Unfortunately, the wizard botches the spell, and instead, Thibault and Andre are sent into the 21st century.The pair end up in a museum in Chicago where they are arrested by the police. They are quickly rescued by Julia Malféte, a museum employee who closely resembles Princess Rosalind. Julie thinks that Thibault is her distant French cousin who supposedly drowned while yachting now suffering from some kind of amnesia. Thibault soon finds out that Julia is descended from his family and realizes he must return to the 12th century to correct the past. Meanwhile Julia introduces them to the modern American style living. Before he returns to the past, Thibault decides to protect Julia from her money-hungry fiancé, Hunter. Meanwhile, Andre falls for a pretty gardener, Angelique.The wizard realizes his mistake and travels into the future to find Thibault and Andre. After he finds them, he successfully prepares a potion for returning to the past. Andre confronts Thibault, that he does not wish to return to the 12th century, after Julia convinces Thibault that he should set him free, Thibault agrees. Hunter attempts to interfere with his plans but Julia discovers his real intentions toward her and breaks up with him. Thibault says goodbye to Julia and he and the wizard drink the potion, returning to the past just before the killing of Princess Rosalind. Hunter finds the remainder of the potion which accidentally sends him to the 12th century where he is captured.The movie ends with Julia deciding to reclaim her ancestral castle, while Andre and Angelique head off to Las Vegas.
The film provides examples of the following tropes:
- Butt Monkey: Poor Andre.
- Curb-Stomp Battle: Thibault handles modern men fairly well in single combat.
- Dance Line: There's a scene towards the end of the film which ushers Hunter being discovered.
- Deliberate Values Dissonance: Obviously.
- The Dung Ages: Thibault and Andre wear the traditional garb of their time period. The Wizard meanwhile puts on a cowboy hat and thinks this will help him blend in.
- Eternal English: Thibault, Andre and the Wizard have little trouble communicating with the people of 21th century Chicago.
- Eternally Pearly-White Teeth: Played straight.
- Fish out of Temporal Water: Thibault and Andre are confused by modern concepts, such as cars, planes, television, and equal rights.
- Foreign Remake: The Visitors IN AMERICA!
- Identical Grandson: Played by the same actress.
- Idiot Ball: The wizard forgot one main ingredient (crows eggs) of the potion, sending Thibault and Andre to the 21th century instead of sending them a few hours back in time. Oops...
- Medieval Morons: Thibault is a bit clueless and Andre eats things he shouldn't.
- Mistaken for Special Guest: Thibault, who comes from 12th century England, is mistaken for Julia's distant French cousin.
- Nightmare Fuel: Thibault's hallucination, some major Uncanny Valley going on. In-universe, the remains of the wizard after a botched spell, though he gets better.
- Off with His Head!: After the death of Rosalind, the king orders Thibault's death in the morning.
- Time Travel
- Time Travel for Fun and Profit: A bit unintentional, but Andre and Angelique sell the gemstones found on a serving cup that they'd accidentally brought to the future to get rich and go to Vegas.
- Timey-Wimey Ball: Because Thibault can interact with his descendants in the present, a Genre Savvy viewer can guess easily that despite Hunter's interference, Thibault is going to make it back to the past.