Hell of the Living Dead
, also known as Night of the Zombies
or Zombie Creeping Flesh
, is a 1980 zombie exploitation film by Bruno Mattei and Claudio Fragasso. In Papua New Guinea, "Hope Centers" work to help feed impoverished nations, or so they claim. Unfortunately, one of its projects, Operation Sweet Death
, has a spill and causes the facility and the country to be overrun by zombies.
The film is largely known for its plagiarism of Dawn of the Dead, with characters wearing similar uniforms to the heroes of Romero's film, as well as using some of its music, although much of Hell of the Living Dead's soundtrack also came from the Alien-ripoff Contamination
, which was scored by Goblin.
This film has the examples of:
- Badass: Zantoro spends half the movies taunting zombies.
Zantoro: *Completely surrounded by zombies* Hey you, what are you staring at? Are ya hungry?! Ah, I get it, you want a little bite outta me. What meat do ya like, drumstick? *Zombie grabs arm* A wing? *The others watch him in disbelief.* Ohhh, oh yeah, that's great, a wing eh? Well suck this! *Pull back, shoves gun into zombie's mouth, and fires.*
- Boom, Headshot: A with most zombie films. Zantoro figures this out, and is increasingly annoyed by the lack of this, though he himself fails to make headshots when really upset.
- Creator Cameo: Mattei and Fragasso appear as police early in the film.
- Everything's Deader With Zombies
- Exploitation Film
- Eye Scream: From the INSIDE!
- Hostage Situation: A group of terrorists take hostage of Consulate, demanding closure of the Hope Centers.
- Jerk Ass: After Lia threatened but failed to kill Lt. London, Zantoro points the very same gun at her, fires, and mocks her because it wasn't loaded.
- Kill 'em All: None of the main cast survives, and the zombie plague has spread to first world nations.
- Ms. Fanservice: Lia knows how to blend in with the natives. Cut to: pulling her shirt off...
- No Kill Like Overkill: Zantoro yells that all it takes is a headshot...right after emptying the entire magazine into the zombie child's head!
- Operation Blank: "Operation Sweet Death".
- Plague Zombie: The zombies. Which was engineered by the First World nations so Third World people would get infected and eat each other.
- Removing the Head or Destroying the Brain: "Cut it out! Stop wasting your damn bullets, you jerks! You need to hit their heads! I told you! See, like this!" (shoots zombie in the head)
- Title of the Dead: Combined with Gory Deadly Overkill Title of Fatal Death.
- Too Dumb to Live: Checking a house for zombies? Perfect time to throw your guns on a shelf, dress in hat & tutu, and imitate Gene Kelly!
- Well-Intentioned Extremist: The terrorists know what the Hope Centers are actually up to.
- Zombie Apocalypse: Obviously in third-world nations, but it has spread to first-world by the end of the movie.
- Zombie Gait: Some are hilarious.