Directed by Allan Arkush
and written by John Hill, Heartbeeps
, starring Andy Kaufman
, Bernadette Peters and Randy Quaid, is about Val and Aqua, two household serving robots who start feeling emotions for one another. After falling in love, they decide to escape from their servitude and attempt to start a family of their own.
It was a Box Office Bomb
and trashed by critics, but Stan Winston
's robot makeup was nominated for an Academy Award
in the category's first iteration. The Cinema Snob
reviewed it here
This film provides examples of:
- Ax-Crazy: The Crimebuster. It blows up things when there is no need to.
- Cool Old Robot: Catskil
- Cowboy Cop: The Crimebuster. Precisely the reason why it was at the factory for repairs.
- Expy: The Crimebuster looks way too much like a Dalek...
- Lounge Lizard: Catskill is a "club comedian robot".
- More Dakka: The Crimebuster's arsenal includes several machine guns, cannons, and flares. He has no qualms against using them.
- Novelization: Written by the film's screenwriter, John Hill.
- Robo Family
- Sequel Hook: Val, Aqua, Phil and Catskil find happiness when they are junked and sent to the junkyard run by their new friends Susan and Calvin. However, the Crimebuster breaks out of the factory, vowing to catch the robots, as "a Crimebuster always gets his man.
- Shout-Out: Susan and Calvin are an obvious reference to Isaac Asimov's recurring character Dr. Susan Calvin.