Film: Final Destination 4
aka: The Final Destination
Final Destination 4, also known as The Final Destination, is the fourth film in the Final Destination series, released in 2009.Nick and his friends are visiting a race car tournament when he receives a premonition of a car crash causing setting of a chain reaction that causes the stadium to collapse. He soon realizes that he and his friends are hunted by Death.
This film provides examples of:
- Asshole Victim: Carter and Hunt.
- Bloody Hilarious: See Death by Racism.
- Call Back: The opening sequence showcases most of the deaths in the previous films, usually through x-ray shots of skeletal damage.
- Car Fu: George Lanter VS an ambulance.
- Continuity Nod: The opening sequence depicts the various deaths from the previous three films from the perspective of an x-ray camera.
- Early in the movie, shortly after the scene with the vision, news on TV are asking "Are amusent parks going the way of the dinosaurs?" The previous movie's accident can't have helped...
- Conveyor Belt-O-Doom: The escalator, possibly the series' goriest death.
- Death by Racism: The first victim is a redneck who has NO compunctions whatsoever about calling African Americans "the N-word". (His character is actually listed as "Racist" in the end-credits.) He is given a spectacularly hilarious and humiliating end when he tried to burn a cross KKK-style in front of the black lead's house; his tow truck, dragging his burning and screaming carcass, twists the knife by playing War's anti-racism tract "Why Can't We Be Friends?" on the radio before it spectacularly explodes.
- Every Car Is a Pinto: Race track. Full stop.
- Exploding Barrels: The source of the mall collapse.
- Eye Scream: "I've got my eye on you!"
- Foreshadowing: Taken to extremes. As if the commercials weren't bad enough Nick has brief images depicting how a character will die just moments before their death.
- Forgot About His Powers: Janet, despite having nearly died in the car wash accident, tells Lori that she's being paranoid and/or going crazy for believing that Death still has it out for them.
- Free Wheel: The first victim of Death's damage-control dies when a burning tire from the (unseen) mass pileup is flung clear out of the stadium and plummets down onto her in the parking lot, pulping a large part of her upper body from mid chest up.
- Gas Cylinder Rocket: How the mechanic gets catapulted into a chain-link fence.
- Gory Discretion Shot: The deaths of Nick, Lori & Janet are so brutal that the camera switches to a CGI x-ray shot showing bones snapping, skulls crushed, etc.
- Also counts as Book Ends, since the opening credits used the same effect for previous movie deaths.
- Half the Man He Used to Be: The racist and his wife in the original vision.
- Heroes Want Redheads: Nick's girlfriend Lori.
- Heroic Sacrifice: Nick pulls this in one of the alternate endings (although he could have thought it through some more). What makes it heroic is that he chooses to save everyone in the mall, not just the people he knows personally. Unfortunately, Death still gets Lori and Janet.
- Infant Immortality: Played straight. One of the victims is a mother of two and her kids are seen escaping the accident at the start while she gets separated and killed off.
- Killed Mid-Sentence: When leaving the hospital, George starts casually talking about how he has a feeling déjà vu, and then... Well, see Look Both Ways below.
- Look Both Ways: George gets run over by an ambulance while leaving a hospital.
- Mythology Gag: The falling tub death is completely identical to one of the deaths in the spin-off book End of the Line.
- Oddly Named Sequel 2: Electric Boogaloo: After two numerical sequels, the fourth film is called The Final Destination, then the fifth one is just Final Destination 5. The Final Destination is, however, referred to as Final Destination 4 at the end of part 5.
- Off with His Head!: Nadia Monroy.
- Only Known by Their Nickname: The main characters all have their names mentioned in the credits, but secondary ones (Carter, Samantha, Andy, Jonathan, etc.) are only referred to by nicknames (Racist, MILF, Gearhead, and Cowboy, respectively).
- Shoot the Shaggy Dog: Suggests the premonitions are part of Death's design to begin with and that nobody ever had a chance of escaping.
- Stupid Sacrifice: The original ending had Nick grab one of the flammable canisters in the mall, look around to see there were too many to remove...and jump out of the window with one to cause an explosion and set off an alarm. Wait, what? Why not just throw the canister out on its own? Doubly dumb due to the fact that Lori and Janet die moments later outside anyways.
- 3-D Movie
- Token Minority: George.
- Torso with a View: The mechanic gets diced by a chain-link fence, and a diamond-shaped piece falls through to allow the audience a clear view of the other surviving characters freaking out.
- Trailers Always Spoil: At least half the deaths from the film were spoiled in the commercials. Subverted with Janet, whom we all thought was going to get her face ripped off in the car wash.
- Likewise subverted with Lori getting crushed in the escalator gears. We do see that happen, but it turns out to be another premonition of Nick's.
- Vapor Trail: Kills the redneck.
- Very Loosely Based on a True Story: The pool death in was probably based on Abigail Taylor, though she didn't die from the event itself.