Dracula A.D. 1972 is a horror film from Hammer, and is third-to-last in their Dracula series.The film opens with Dracula (Christopher Lee) and Van Helsing (Peter Cushing) fighting in 1872, which ends with both of them dead. One of Dracula's servants scoops up Count's ashes and buries them near a church during his rival's funeral. 100 years later, descendant of that servant convinces a bunch of youths to stage a satanic ritual. This resurrects Dracula, who then starts preying on the modern times.The seventies setting is revisited in the sequel The Satanic Rites of Dracula, which would be the last film to feature Christopher Lee as Count Dracula.
Examples in the film:
- Absolute Cleavage
- Alucard: Johnny's surname, which marks him a servant of Dracula.
- Annual Title
- Badass Grandpa: Seventies-Era Van Helsing. Despite pushing sixty and sporting a nasty arm wound, he marches off to face Dracula in his home territory armed with little more than a cross. Alone. And he kicks ass.
- Broad Strokes: This film uses the premise that Van Helsing and Dracula fought in the 1800s like in Horror of Dracula but changes the date and place and ignores the numerous sequels to Horror.
- Cannot Cross Running Water: Vampires in these films can be killed with running water. This leads to a rather undignified death for vampirized Johnny when he is killed by being put under a shower.
- Disturbed Doves: Seen in the climax in the abandoned church.
- Evil Is Petty: Johnny, who smashes an expensive figurine simply to aggravate a stuffy matron.
- Fainting: Jessica faints when she's captured by Johnny and recently vampirized Bob.
- Hollywood Satanism: Johnny convinces his friends to do a satanic ritual for kicks to resurrect Dracula.
- Identical Grandson: Both Van Helsing and Johnny Alucard are identical to their grandparents.
- Kubrick Stare: Dracula gives one to Van Helsing during their climactic confrontation.
- No Immortal Inertia: Done twice with Dracula's demise in the opening and ending.
- The Snack Is More Interesting: Early in the film, during a wild party, a couple are having sex under the table. The woman is awkwardly trying to finish her apple throughout.
- Spoiled Sweet: Jessica Van Helsing. She makes a point of assuring her concerned grandfather that she doesn't "drop acid" or "sleep around."
Rest in final peace