Dracula AD 1972
is a horror film from Hammer
, and is third-to-last in their Dracula
The film opens with Dracula (Christopher Lee
) and Van Helsing (Peter Cushing
) fighting in 1872, which ends with both of them dead
. One of Dracula's servants scoops up Count's ashes and buries them near a church during his rival's funeral. 100 years later, descendant of that servant convinces a bunch of youths to stage a satanic ritual. This resurrects Dracula, who then starts preying on the modern times.
The seventies setting is revisited in the sequel The Satanic Rites of Dracula
, which would be the last film to feature Christopher Lee as Count Dracula.
Examples in the film:
- Alucard: Johnny's surname, which marks him a servant of Dracula.
- Annual Title
- Badass Grandpa: Seventies-Era Van Helsing. Despite pushing sixty and sporting a nasty arm wound, he marches off to face Dracula in his home territory armed with little more than a cross. Alone. And he kicks ass.
- He's possibly even more Badass than his ancestor considering he doesn't even have any experience fighting vampires; he's only read about them in books, and is doing it all for the first time.
- Cannot Cross Running Water: Vampires in these films can be killed with running water. This leads to a rather undignified death for vampirized Johnny when he is killed by a shower.
- Disturbed Doves: Seen in the climax.
- Evil Is Petty: Johnny, who smashes an expensive figurine simply to aggravate a stuffy matron.
- Fainting: Jessica faints when Johnny and recently vampirized Bob capture her.
- Hollywood Satanism: Johnny tricks his friends to do a satanic ritual to resurrct Dracula.
- Identical Grandson: Both Van Helsing and Johnny Alucard are identical to their grandparents.
- Kubrick Stare: Dracula gives one to Van Helsing during their climactic confrontation.
- No Immortal Inertia: Done twice with Dracula in the opening and ending.
- The Seventies: Just as the title says.
- Spoiled Sweet: Jessica Van Helsing. She makes a point of assuring her concerned grandfather that she doesn't "drop acid" or "sleep around."
Rest in final peace