Film: Beasts Of The Southern Wild
Once there was a Hushpuppy, and she live with her daddy in the Bathtub.Beasts of the Southern Wild
is a 2012 movie directed by Benh Zeitlin. It follows the story of six-year-old Hushpuppy (Quvenzhané Wallis) who lives with her father in a place called “the Bathtub”, a southern community on the edge of the world, blocked off from civilization by a huge levee. Hushpuppy and her community face destruction from the changing environment, including a mass flood and prehistoric beasts released by the melting ice caps. Meanwhile, Hushpuppy’s father, Wink (Dwight Henry), is suffering from a mysterious illness.
It was nominated at the 2012 Academy Awards for Best Picture, with 9-year old Quvenzhané Wallis becoming the youngest person ever to be nominated for Best Actress. The movie itself lost to Argo
, while Wallis lost to Jennifer Lawrence
- Angry Black Man - Wink is a reconstructed and justified example.
- Amateur Cast - Dwight Henry was running a bakery before the director convinced him to audition for Wink, and it's Quvenzhané Wallis's first film as well.
- Arc Words: "No crying."
- Amphibious Automobile - Wink's boat is made of pickup truck parts.
- Apocalypse How - At the beginning of the film, the Bathtub is cut off from civilization by a huge levee, and people live in a postindustrial level of civilization. When the rain comes, the entire Bathtub area is flooded, animals start to die and some of the people who didn't leave were drowned
- Artistic License – Biology - Aurochs were prehistoric cattle, not gigantic pigs. Justified by their being implied to exist only in Hushpuppy's imagination.
- Bittersweet Ending
- Coming-of-Age Story
- Cosy Catastrophe - After the flood Hushpuppy and the remaining Bathtubbers enjoy seafood, beer and relax on the water.
- Crapsack World - The Bathtub, from the perspective of the people who don't live in it. Even if the flood didn't come, it's implied the place was doomed.
- Disaster Scavengers The people in the Bathtub live in a world constructed from detrius and waste. The rest of the world isn't like this. Just the Bathtub
- Doomed Hometown: The Bathtub
- Full Boar Action: The aurochs.
- Hands-Off Parenting - Hushpuppy lives in her own trailer apart from her dad. She moves in with her dad after she sets her trailer on fire with her gas stove.
- Heartbeat Soundtrack: A repeated theme throughout the movie.
- Incurable Cough of Death - Wink
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: Wink has two modes of parenting: shouting and sullen silence. But he clearly loves his daughter and is willing to do anything for her, including brave a hurricane or send her away so she doesn't have to watch him die.
- Kid Hero - Hushpuppy is a girl about 6 or 7, who manages to lead both adults and children.
- Wallis's audition (included as an extra on the DVD) took place when she was 5. She was 6 when she appeared in the movie, but 9 by the time she received her Oscar nomination.
- Maybe Magic, Maybe Mundane - Whether Hushpuppy's visions of aurochs are real or fantasy is not discussed. (It's implied, but never confirmed, that Wink can see them in a late scene.)
- Missing Mom - Hushpuppy's mother is not on the scene. Later in the film, Hushpuppy and the gang end up in what seems like a brothel, and Hushpuppy meets a woman who is implied to be her mother. Hushpuppy takes back the fried gator that the woman cooks for her back to her dad, as her dad has mentioned that her mother killed and cooked a gator for him on the day of her conception.
- No FEMA Response: Averted. When the big flood comes, the remaining people in the Bathtub are evacuated forcefully to a shelter.
- Not in Front of the Kid: Wink becomes furious when the doctor at the shelter won't stop talking about his medical condition in front of Hushpuppy, despite his protests.
- No Indoor Voice: Everyone in the Bathtub, but especially Wink. At least until he gets sick.
- Ocean Punk
- Parental Abandonment: The three girls under Ms. Bathsheba's care; their parents are never seen or mentioned. Its implied that their families evacuated The Bathtub and left them there.
- Soap Opera Disease - Hushpuppy's father Wink has a mysterious illness, complete with the Incurable Cough of Death and Blood from the Mouth. The only explanation he ever gives is that his blood is "eating itself".
- Viking Funeral: Wink gets one.