In a nutshell, it's a Road Movie with
The Battery is a 2012 American drama-horror film directed by first-time director Jeremy Gardner. The film stars Gardner
and co-producer Adam Cronheim as two former baseball players trying to survive a Zombie Apocalypse
. Much of the drama stems from the conflicts in the two leads' personalities. Ben (played by Gardner) quickly adapts to the lawless and constantly on the road lifestyle, Mickey is almost the opposite, refusing to face the situation and longs for a "normal" life.
This film provides examples of:
- Action Survivor: Ben and Mickey. At the end, only Ben.
- A Date with Rosie Palms: A darkly humorous example. One morning, as Ben goes skinny dipping, Mickey is awaken by a zombie girl pounding on his car window. Initially frightened, but seeing the girl's rather well-endowed bust pressing against the glass gives Mickey another idea. He unzips his pant and starts to masturbate furiously. And ... just before he climaxes, Ben, who just got back from the bath, shoots the girl in the head, smearing her brains all over the window. Seeing Mick with his pants down, Ben almost chokes himself laughing.
- Caught with Your Pants Down: see A Date With Rosie Palm above.
- Character Development: Mickey underwent this after his Heroic BSOD.
- Downer Ending: Mickey gets bitten and has to be shot by Ben, who vows to kill all those responsible for putting them in that situation. He then walks to an uncertain future, followed by a horde of zombies.
- Good Times Montage: A short one, after Mickey recover from his Heroic BSOD
- Guile Hero: Ben.
- Heroic BSOD: Mickey suffered one at mid point. The only other survivors he knows of flatly refused to let him join and warned him against trying to contact them. Then the next morning, a (most likely) hungover Ben unleashes a zombie in his room. Mickey gets better pretty quickly, though.
- Jerk Ass: Mickey, for most of the movie, almost always refuses to do anything, leaving the dirty work (killing zombies, scavenging useful items, etc) to Ben.
- Road Movie: with zombies
- Sink or Swim Mentor: Ben sics a zombie in Mickey room and locks the door, forcing his friend to kill his (first) zombie. It works.
- Too Dumb to Live: Mickey, on a lot of occasions.
- Zombie Gait: Ben can easily out-walk them with an injured leg.
- Zombie Apocalypse