Frank: "Just remember, we're only authorized to use violence when there's a threat to the planet Earth."
Barry: "And the Moon."
Frank: "Yeah, and the Moon."Bad Taste
is a 1987 No Budget
film which is the directorial debut for Peter Jackson
. It's a splatter movie about a bunch of aliens working for an intergalactic fastfood company, who massacre the town of Kaihoro for the meat of its inhabitants.
However, one of the townsfolk manages to send a distress call and Astro Investigation and Defence Service sends out The Boys to investigate. The team consists of four members: Barry (the Straight Man
of the group), Frank, Ozzy (a trigger-happy duo), and Derek (a sociopath with a slight drooling problem). Hilarity Ensues
as The Boys clash with the aliens; Derek goes berserk, a charity collector Giles is abducted and The Boys have to clean up the whole mess.
Notable for being shot with a shoestring budget during weekends over a period of four years.
Bad Taste contains examples of:
- Absurdly Sharp Blade: Derek's chainsaw.
- Alien Lunch: The vomit gruel.
- Aliens in Cardiff
- An Arm and a Leg
- An Axe to Grind: One of the alien mooks attack Barry with an axe.
- Baa Bomb: Ozzy tries to destroy the aliens headquarters with a RPG. He misses and hits a sheep instead.
Derek: "I'm a Derek. Dereks don't run."
- Bald of Evil: The alien leader.
- Bloody Hilarious: For the record, some VHS versions came with barfing bags.
- Bond One-Liner: Given by Ozzy when he shoots one of the mooks on the head.
"That cleared the sinuses!"
- Bound and Gagged: Giles when he is captured by the aliens.
- Brain Food: Robert is shown happily eating the brains of one of his own.
- Bring My Brown Pants: They're not brown enough...
- Chainsaw Good: Derek's weapon of choice.
- Cigar Chomper: Frank.
- Cold-Blooded Torture: It involves a hammer, a bayonet and a foot.
- Comedic Sociopathy: Ozzy!
Frank: "Yeah but you know what the rules are. When we work undercover we have to remain faceless."
Ozzy: "Oh I get it, just in case we kill a lot of innocent people!" (Cocks gun)
- Also, Derek shows a little too much joy torturing Robert (the alien he captured) and at the end when he'a cutting aliens up with a chainsaw
- Cool Car: Derek's Beatles-mobile.
- Conveyor Belt of Doom: Happens when the alien leader rolls back the house-ship's grass and is stuck on it.
- Creepy Basement
- Cruel and Unusual Death: Derek going through boss alien's head and coming out his rear with his chainsaw.
- Distress Call: Doomed Kaihoro sends one in the opening.
- Distressed Dude: Giles.
- Does Not Like Shoes: One of the alien mooks moves barefooted.
- Dressing as the Enemy: Frank dresses as one of the mooks during the infiltration.
- Drop the Hammer: After hearing one of their own being tortured by Derek, bunch of aliens grab sledgehammers and rush to the rescue.
- Evil Chef: One of the aliens who looks suspiciously like Peter Jackson during his Lord of the Rings years.
- Eyepatch of Power Worn by one of the alien mooks.
- Flipping the Bird: As seen on the cover (at least, the original cover. later versions added a second finger). Giles, also flips Robert off at one point. This cover, sold in North America and featuring the "two finger" variant of flipping the bird seen in the UK and commonwealths, was often mistaken as a sequel to the original.
- A little harder to notice is one of the aliens flipping off the protagonists as they make their escape in a car.
- Fun with Acronyms: Astro Investigation and Defence Service. Lampshaded in the movie:
Ozzy: "Wish we'd change that name!"
- Ghost Town: Kaihoro.
- Groin Attack: Ozzy knees one of the post-transformation aliens on the groin.
- Half the Man He Used to Be: One of the aliens after Derek runs him over with his car.
- Hat Damage: Derek's hat (that keeps his skull together) is shot off by a stray bullet, and he's immediately sent into spasms.
- Heroic Comedic Sociopath: Derek before his cranial trauma and Ozzy to some degree.
- Human Aliens: for all but the last 20 minutes of the movie, the aliens look like regular humans
- I Am A Humanitarian: One of the boys is forced to in order to maintain his mole status. He finds it quite tasty.
- Imperial Stormtrooper Marksmanship Academy
- Impact Silhouette: At one point Derek saws a hole shaped like himself on the aliens headquarters' wall.
- Impromptu Tracheotomy: Barry kills Robert by throwing a machete on his throat, pinning him into a pillar.
- The Infiltration: The Boys start one when they set out to save Giles.
- Let's Fight Like Gentlemen: At one point Ozzy encounters one of the aliens, who puts its dukes up. Ozzy attempts to follow suit, but is interrupted by Frank.
- Lowered Monster Difficulty: The first alien killed it takes Barry numerous shots to its head with a very large revolver before it finally goes down. The five heading for Derek on the cliffs go down a bit quicker but he has a machine gun. By the middle and end of the film they're going down with only a few gunshots.
- Machete Mayhem: The alien chef attacks Ozzy and Giles with a machete during the big shootout.
- Made of Plasticine: The aliens; lampshaded with the line "They sure go to bits easy!"
- Meaningful Name: Kaihoro means "Foodtown" in Māori.
- Mugged for Disguise: Happens to one of the aliens when The Boys infiltrate their headquarters.
- My Car Hates Me
- Off with His Head!: One of the aliens gets his head ripped off (and his spine along with it) when Frank steals his costume.
- Overly-Long Gag: The vomit scene.
- Pre Ass Kicking One Liner: Two of them, both provided by Derek.
"Eat lead, sucker!"
"Suck my spinning steel, shithead!"
- Psycho Party Member: Derek after falling off a cliff.
- Railing Kill: Ozzy kills the alien chef by throwing him over a railing.
- Refuge in Audacity
- Psychopathic Manchild: Some of the alien mooks, including Robert.
- Same Language Dub: All the actors had to redub their dialogue after all the sound tapes went missing. Doug Wren, who played Lord Crumb, died during post production. So his character was dubbed by Peter Vere-Jones.
- "There's no glowing fingers on these bastards."
- When The Boys wonder the aliens have hidden their spaceship, Ozzy proposes that perhaps they came in a telephone booth.
- Slashed Throat: When the Evil Chef threatens Giles with a throat slice motion, Robert tries to mimic him and accidentally cuts his own throat.
- Sliding Scale of Comedy and Horror
- Staggered Zoom: Done after Ozzy kills the alien chef and he turns to see that Giles was abducted while he was occupied.
- Take That: Which no one outside New Zealand will get. Derek doesn't think the aliens destroying Auckland would be so bad.
- To Serve Man: Aliens work for intergalactic fastfood company Crumb's Crunchy Delights, who wants to add humans to their menu.
- Transformation Sequence: Happens when the aliens decide to bail out and ditch their human disguises.
- Use Your Head
- Van Helsing Hate Crimes: Derek's attitude toward aliens.
- Vomit Indiscretion Shot
- Weaksauce Weakness: After falling off from a cliff, Derek's head becomes very vulnerable and if it's hit Derek is sent to spasms. Even a hit from a pinecone.
- Who You Gonna Call?: The Boys, that's who.