A 1987 Affectionate Parody
of the 1960s Frankie & Annette beach movies... starring Frankie & Annette. Frankie is now a stressed out car salesman from Ohio, Annette is a housewife
, and their son Bobby is a punk
. They go on a vacation, but never make it past their layover in Los Angeles
, where they find out their grown daughter, Sandi, is shacking up with a surfer named Michael. Frankie runs into his old flame Connie, which leads to a tiff between him and Annette. Hilarity, musical numbers, and many celebrity cameos ensue.
This film contains examples of:
- Adam Westing: Bob Denver and Alan Hale, Jr. (foreshadowed by one of Michael's lines); Don Adams as the Harbor Master.
- Arson, Murder, and Jaywalking: "You must represent darkness, evil, and godless Communism." "You forgot ugly, lazy, and disrespectful."
- As Himself: O.J. Simpson (or not?), Dick Dale, Fishbone, Pee-wee Herman, Barbara Billingsley, Jerry Matters, and Tony Dow.
- Call Back: Frankie's fake surfing for a commercial, and later Annette's "real" surfing with Troy.
- The Casanova: Troy (though in Annette's case he's a Casanova Wannabe).
- Crowd Chant: Kahu-na! Kahu-na! Kahu-na!
- Deadpan Snarker: Bobby, so very much. Also Sandi.
- Drowning My Sorrows
- The Eighties
- First-Person Smartass: Bobby.
- Foreshadowing: "Am I crazy, or is this the plot to Gilligan's Island?"
- But more importantly, The Accident Story.
- Hideous Hangover Cure
- Left the Background Music On: Troy, at one point.
- The Mickey Mouse Club: Referenced in flashback.
- Motorcycle Dominoes: Or surf board dominoes, in this case.
- Odd Friendship: Frankie and Michael.
- Operation Jealousy: Toyed with by Annette
- Overprotective Dad
- Pun: "Somebody get me a net. ...Well I didn't mean that kind of Annette."
- Redemption Quest: Frankie in the surfing contest.
- Reverse Psychology: Annette uses this on Bobby at one point.
- Running Gag: Everyone gets Frankie's nickname "Big Kahuna" wrong.
- Pajama Party
- Surfer Dude: Mountain.
- Surfer Gang: The Sins.