Fanfic Recs: Disney Animated Canon
Proof that the remaining 10% is worth wishing on a star for here: These are recommendations made by Tropers for Disney Animated Canon Fan Fics, all of which have to be signed to stay on the page. Feel free to add a fanfic of your own to the list, but remember to use the template found here. Do warn when a fanfic may head into romantic or non-canon territory. Some people just don't like it, and as we all know, Shipping is Serious Business. You can also add to the current recommendations if you want. You can do it by leaving a review or by adding your name to the recs line. Refrain from posting Conversation in the Main Page though; that goes in the discussion page.
Bravely Tangled Up with Dragons by x-X-The D'Arch Angel-X-x
The Traitor's Child by Bluemoonriver
Meeting The Others
The Hellbound Hearts by Da Games Elite
The Merging of Worlds: Night of Ashes by Kuann
The Turning Point by Serena Inverse
Roused by bStormhands
Disney High School by Morloth88
Crowns of the Kingdom by Karalora
Authors and WebsitesThe Bolt stories of PenNameSmith
- Recommended by Macgyver644200
- Symphosis: A series of stories set after the conclusion of the movie, giving a brief overview of what happens next.
- Pairings: BoltXMittens
- The author touches on a variety of topics that the movie didn't fully resolve (Bolt adjusting to normal life, what happens to the show, etc) and does it very well, with a bunch of original ideas thrown in as well. The characters stick to their canon personalities and the author's very good at keeping the story interesting all throughout. Humor, action, and heartwarming moments galore, I was never bored with the stories and was sad to see that the author had stopped writing Bolt fanfics. Give it a whirl.
- Recomended by Alyssa Macki
- He writes some of the best, not just Disney but stories Period, His best are "Rapunzel Goes Home" and "Roused". He resolves problems the characters have at the ends of their stories that most people brush off. It lets me look into the facts he brings up and discover them for myself. And I can not forget "Merida Comes". It really brings in how characters, even if they're not real, can influence us immensely. An author who can do that deserves much more, but this is the best I can do.
- Recommended by CMR Rosa and Eric W
- Synopsis: When Kelsey and her six year old cousin Emma gets sucked into the tv, it was only the beginning of their great Disney adventure. Even after they got out, a year later they went back in, and the stakes would only get bigger.
- Comments: This is a awesome crossover, everyone was in character and the original characters are well written. It's also not afraid to get meta or self referencing in the story, as while Kelsey and her family might know some of the stories, Jack Sparrow at least knows they're in a disney world, and can reference that quite often. While it can drag in places where the Myth Arc is sidetracked by the smaller Story Arc around it, but overall it's an engaging read.
- This is actually a series of 3 fics.
- Status: Books 1&2 complete. Book 3 in progress.
- Recommended by CMR Rosa
- Synopsis: Two sisters were planning to watch movies, but instead they accidentally fell into the world of Disney. They will meet friends and foes along the way. Will their friends help them get home? Or will they be stuck there for all eternity? One way to find out. Warning it may contain a few spoilers for those who didn't see the movies. Outtakes ready to go!
- Comments: This is a great Disney crossover, all the character were in character and the original characters are well written
- It has its own tropes page, here.
- Recommended by CMR Rosa
- Synopsis: The sisters thought that their Disneyland adventure ended. But darkness is coming to Disney. Thirteen villains are coming together to take over, a king disappears, and Kailey was kidnapped. If you think that's bad, Kelsey's friend was babysitting that day, and he discovered the girls' secret. Can Kelsey rescue them on time? Or will the villains rise and get revenge on the heroes?
- Recommended by CMR Rosa
- Status: Ongoing
- 'Synopsis'': This is a three-way crossover between Tangled, Brave, and How to Train your Dragon. The day before Hiccup's final dragon training test, Astrid never finds him in the woods. He suits up, packs up, and heads for the sky. Across the ocean, princess Merida runs away, wishing for anything in the world to change her fate. A hop, a skip, and a boat ride away, Rapunzel with her magic hair just can't wait to be finally free.
- Comments: This is a awesome crossover with Three Popular Movies.
- It has its own tropes page, here.
- Recommended by Autumn
- Synopsis: Our favorite characters and a few newcomers navigate intrigue and war sixteen years before the Disney film, revealing the source of Frollo’s doom, Clopin’s rise to power, Phoebus’ fame, and Quasimodo’s resilience.
- Recommended by Rookiez78
- Synopsis: "Fairytales, across different times and places."
- Recommended by 411314, Eric W
- Synopsis: The Disney Princesses regularly meet with each other, their love interests regularly meet each other as well. Much parody ensues, while some Reconstruction happens as well. the first volume is told through Tiana's eyes as she is newly introduced. A second volume from Rapunzel's POV is currently in the works.
- Recommended by Patworx
- Synopsis: "Jafar rises from the grave as he's summoned by Ursula to a meeting of the fallen villains. Can these villains be united under one leader, or will their selfish goals, differing philosophies, and all around hatred for one another ruin them all?"
- Recommended by Munchable
- Synopsis: When a dark power begins to move against the Disney Multiverse, its inhabitants must discover the truth of what they truly are and where they fit in the vast scheme of existence. First book of a planned series. (Atlantis: The Last Empire and The Hunchback of Notre Dame current worlds. IN PROGRESS.)
- Comments: This is a very professionally written, masterful work. It should be read by more people, and I recommend it to all.
- Recommended by Zelda Hearts 1337.
- Synopsis: Years ago... There were so many wonderful Characters that walked among us. But one day, a Character ended up killing a human child. They didn't mean it. Honest. Beloved heroes suddenly were monsters; threats that needed to be stopped. Soon, Characters were fugitives. That's when some people began began S.A.F.E. But it might not last much longer. (in-progress- currently dead)
- Comments: A Darker and Edgier Disney fic, kinda like Who Framed Roger Rabbit? in some aspects, Epic Mickey in a few others. Throw in dozens of characters from Disney, a handful from various video games, a pinch of Anime,some more from Western Animation, and toss them into a fugitive-hiding, underground railroad of sorts and this is it. Give it a whirl, and you might actually like it.
- Recommended by fruitstripegum
- Synopsis: Adella, Ariel's sister, is in need of a cure to her malady and Ariel finds an herbalist who can help. But this herbalist has a dark secret that could spell trouble for them all...
- Recommended by whispurrs
- Synopsis:The author's version of the past history of Helga Sinclair and Lyle Rourke from Atlantis. Story one in a trilogy.
- Comments:A dark fic which is deep, unsettling, tragic witty and brilliant in turns with everyone in character whilst they're expanded, I would also recommend the two sequels, which explore the relationship in further depth.
- Recommended by fruitstripegum
- Synopsis: Malcho finally escapes from his volcanic prison, but before he has a chance to exact his revenge on Agrabah, fate intervenes and he finds himself befriended to a most unlikely companion. Just how much can one meeting change a person?
- Recommended by Alyssa Macki
- Synopsis: Aurora was living in a lie, kept in a small forest, loving people who were not her parents. Sounds a lot like Rapunzel's story, yes? Aurora's return didn't go as smoothly as Rapunzel's, but Rapunzel can help. The story of some princesses lying in bed, whining about how awful their lives are. OR. What it takes to fix a broken a princess. The redemption of the Princess Aurora and Princess Rapunzel and their families. Not your grandmother's princess story!
- Recommended by Lustheron
- Synopsis: Sixteen years ago, a wicked fairy condemned the Princess Aurora to die. A few days ago, defeated by Prince Philip and the Good Fairies, the wicked fairy Maleficent was confined to the dungeons of King Stefan's castle to await her own death sentence.
- Recommended by Much Ado About Nonny
- Synopsis: High school AU webcomic. Mother Gothel and Claude Frollo got married; Rapunzel and Quasimodo grew up as homeschooled siblings. The story follows their exploits when they return to a public high school, with many other classic Disney storylines cleverly worked into the background along the way.
- Now has its own trope page.
- Recommended by: Lalalei2001
- Synposis: When a vengeful villain attempts to turn Disneyland's 50th Anniversary from the Disney Family's greatest triumph to their greatest defeat, it's up to Mickey Mouse to set things right and save his many friends from a fate worse than death!
- Comments: This fic is amazing, especially if you're a Disney fan. 70 plus years of Disney's history are woven into the fic, from parks and attractions to characters. Mickey Mouse being the main hero is really neat, and it was written before Epic Mickey came out. It's an emotional read, especially at the very end. Mickey really has to earn his happy ending, but he does, and it's amazing.
- It also has its own trope page.
- Recommended by Mondegreen
- Sypnosis: The first Christmas Ashton Bunny spends in L.A. promises to be one he won't soon forget: Mickey Mouse, the star of the Disney Studios and a long-time friend of Ashton's father, Bugs Bunny, wants to try another collaboration between their teams. But the last attempt proved to be disastrous, and after learning of the intense rivalry between the Looney Tunes and the Disney Core, Ashton is worried his father's plans will fall through. When things do take a turn for the worst, Bugs and Mickey are faced with the dilemma of finding an alternative to their idea. It's not an easy task, especially when their own Studios are refusing to help them fund their project any longer. The two families have to come up with a solution before the deadline. But how can Bugs Bunny and Mickey Mouse have their teams cooperate, when they've refused to do so for decades? While they try to find a solution to their problem, Ashton learns the secret history behind the friendship between Animation's two iconic Toons, and what makes it so special. Now all that's left to do is for Bugs and Mickey to find their Christmas Miracle.
- Comments: Though the writing may vary somewhat and there are some heavy bits of exposition, this is still the only fanfiction I've read that not only puts Mickey Mouse and Bugs Bunny in a story together, but shows a very dynamic (and heartwarming) relationship between the two characters. The story has a boatload of references to the history of Disney and Warner Brothers animation, and it's a very detailed take on how these Toons could operate if they were actually drawn-up actors in real life. It's imperfect, but it's still a great tribute to classic Disney and Looney Tunes cartoons, and a wonderful depiction of how their characters would've interacted.
- Recommended by readingtheshow
- Pairing: Mulan x Shang
- Synopsis: Mulan is an honored guest at a celebration, but she still needs a little family help to see it through. Her dress is deadly, the cricket gets loose, and she's framed for a crime she didn't commit. I think it's going well, don't you?