Fan Fic / The Truth Decays
Edward Elric of Fullmetal Alchemist
is somehow dropped into the world of Naruto
like a rock into a pond and tries to cope with it, with hysterical results. The fic starts in the "Search For Tsunade" story arc
, and almost immediately during the encounter with Naruto and two Akatsuki members, Itachi and Kisame. After that, Edward is promptly arrested and sent to the Interrogation Department, where Hilarity Ensues
Read it here
Tropes Associated with The Truth Decays:
- Androcles' Lion: Edward helps an injured bird that was being tormented by some children. The Bird in question is soon revealed to be a (talking) messenger bird from Suna who was attacked while delivering an important message. In return for saving his life and his mission, the bird tips-off Edward on the location of his stolen automail.
- Artistic License: The effects of laughing gas are exaggerated for Rule of Funny, and the chapter is all the more entertaining for it.
- Bathroom Break-Out: While on the run, Ed runs into team 10 and Gai. Unaware that Ed has just escaped from prison they try to talk with him. Ed excuses himself to the bathroom and never returns, much to Gai's confusion.
- Edward's second attempt is less successful. Ed pretends to take a shower and while the water is running, tries to escape out the window. He is caught almost immediately but pretends to be offended that they would watch him in the shower. Neji points out that he wasn't in the shower, but if Ed wants to be supervised in the bathroom he should continue this behavior. Also he should stop wasting water.
- Big Eater: Ed and Naruto. In Ed's case, this actually poses a problem for the medical team after he is critically injured by Itachi; Ed's unusual metabolism plus his connection to Al's body means that he processes blood pills and other medications too quickly for them to take effect and requires twice the amount of nutrients and sugars to stabilize his blood sugar.
- Big Brother Mentor: Naruto quickly decides that Ed is one of the coolest people he's ever met, and takes advice from him pretty easily. Lee also has a moment of this with Ed, when he gives him some good advice on dealing with the trauma of having his limbs crushed in the Chunin Exams, as well as his fear of something going wrong in surgery.
- Body Horror: During an ambush by a Sound ninja, Ed is forced to use deconstruction alchemy when one of the attackers tries to behead Hinata; the end result is a gory mess of pulped organs and limbs and a horrified Team 8.
- Hotaka having his arm partially deconstructed.
- Naruto comes across a dying ANBU woman. She stops breathing and has no pulse and Naruto knows that he doesn't have time to find a med-nin. He attempts to administer CPR and her chest caves in, though at that point she was likely already dead. It's disturbing regardless.
" He pushed down and her chest collapsed in on itself with a hundred brittle snapping sounds like stepping on a bag of cornflakes"
- Cavalry Betrayal: The ANBU team that seemingly came to back up Hinata and Ed appear to members of ROOT and they subsequently turn on them once Tayuya is incapacitated.
- Chronic Hero Syndrome: Ed. He knows it, and it gets him into trouble more often than it pays off, but he can't help it—he's Ed.
- He tries to ignore it, he really does. But every time this happens he starts hearing Al's voice telling him that he needs to help.
- Clothing Damage: Ed has a transmutation circle in the palm of his left hand that allows him to deconstruct matter, like Scar. So far, he's only used it to destroy Morino Ibiki's coat and Tsunade's shirt.
- Conservation of Ninjutsu: Noticeably averted in the sound four's battle in Konoha. Powerful they might be, but you can only be swarmed by so many ninja before things start spinning out of control...
- with exception to Kimimaro who more than pulls his weight. It takes someone equally badass to take him down.
- Curb-Stomp Battle: Fighting Itachi doesn't go particularly well for Edward or Sasuke.
- Did We Just Have Tea with Cthulhu? The shinigami pays Edward a visit in the hospital after Ed sets off his seal by getting too close to the village wall.
- Diplomatic Impunity: Tsunade tries to invoke this by declaring Edward an ambassador of Amestris. In doing so she hoped to grant him amnesty and to protect him from harassment by her political rivals.(i.e. Danzo) It doesn't work. They just go behind her back and brand him with a Caged Bird Seal.
- Evil-Detecting Dog: The dog at the vet's is "very good at sniffing out lies," and interrogates Ed when he brings in an injured Nin-bird.
- Eye Scream: Ed's use of flame alchemy not only left Sasuke with an embarrassing case of artificial sunburn, the explosion also left him temporarily blind.
- Fire-Forged Friends: Naruto and Edward. After their run in with Kisame and Itachi they are quick to come to the other's defense, despite not knowing each other very well. Naruto in particular has become very attached.
- For Want of a Nail. Ed's presence in the Naruto world prevents Sasuke from being Mind Raped by Itachi and from choosing to join Orochimaru. This will drastically change the course of his life and the lives of many others by extension.
- He also gets Naruto start thinking more carefully when he teaches him not to wave his cash filled wallet around.
- The Glomp: Happy to see that Ed had survived their encounter with Akatsuki, Naruto manages to take down both Edward and Kiba in an enthusiastic tackle-hug.
- Good Cop/Bad Cop: During T&I's initial interrogations Ibiki plays Bad Cop and Anko plays Good Cop.
- Handicapped Badass: In addition his abnormal metabolism, Ed spends a good portion of the story one-armed due to the research department confiscating his automail. He not only manages to escape his holding cell and sink multiple buildings in his path (including the interrogation center and the Hokage's tower), but also breaks into said research department and holds his own against a chuunin-class shinobi.
- Honey Trap: Except not really. Anko is more of a Troll than she is a Femme Fatale Spy but she seems to be thoroughly enjoying herself.
Anko: Officially, I can't interrogate him, but [Tsunade] didn't ban personal contact. And if something interesting should slip out in a moment of passion
Kakashi: I think there might be a flaw in your plan,
Kakashi: He hates you.
Anko: That just makes it more fun
- Ino (with some "help" from Naruto) also tries to charm Edward for information to pass on to Sasuke. She hasn't improved from when she tried to seduce Neji during the Chunin exams and the whole thing becomes awkward very quickly.
- Improvised Weapon: Ed turns a cigarette lighter into an Aerosol Flamethrower/C4 launcher using Mustang's flame alchemy.
- The Inspector Is Coming: The Daimyo's envoy had been invited to the village to assure the Daimyo that Konaha is secure and can still fulfill Fire nation's military duties after Orochimaru's invasion. During the envoy's stay Edward breaks out of the interrogation department and sinks the building. Instead of admitting that they have an prisoner with unknown destructive potential on the lose, they say that the T&I department was intentionally moved underground for "security reasons" and quietly issue a notice for "a short, one-armed shoplifter who [is] wanted for questioning." The envoy doesn't entirely buy it.
- Inspector Javert
- It's Personal: Ibiki has had a little bit of a grudge against Edward since the latter broke out of his holding cell and sank the entire interrogation department.
- I Shall Taunt You: Anko's strategy to bait Kimimaro out of his bone forest  so that Might Gai can land a hit
- Living Lie Detector: The dog at the vet's office. Ed gets away largely thanks to a series of misunderstandings from which everyone assumes (much to Ed's indignation) that Ed is a Crazy Homeless Person who's escaped from a mental hospital.
- No Sell: With the exception of Itachi's Tsukuyomi, Ed is completely immune to genjutsu. And even that can only hold him for a little bit before he figures out how to escape it.
- Organ Theft: A female sound ninja tells her comrades not to damage Hinata's eyes, they're worth quite a lot of money.
- While not really a original body part, Konoha researchers borrowed Ed's automail arm without permission, and aren't particularly keen on returning it. Not entirely surprising given the prevalence of, and the attitudes toward this trope regarding actual organs in Naruto cannon.
- Playing with Fire/Stuff Blowing Up: Ed carves Mustang's oxidation array into a cigarette lighter, allowing him to flash-fry and temporarily blind unsuspecting adversaries.
- Please Wake Up: This is inverted by Naruto, whose fear of this trope makes him dislike watching unconscious people. He mentions that he drives his teammates and friends crazy "accidentally" waking them up on overnight missions just to make sure they can wake up.
- Power Tattoo: Ed has a variety of arrays tattooed onto his body in the case his automail is destroyed or stolen.
- Prison Escape Artist: Ninja prison cells are designed to detain ninja, not alchemists. The chakra suppression seals that prevent prisoners from preforming ninjusu have no effect on alchemy because it doesn't require chakra.
- Produce Pelting: Tayuya’s auditory genjutsu gets her into an angry shouting match and covered in tomato.
- Reasonable Authority Figure: Jiraiya and Tsunade.
- Restraining Bolt: A variant of the Caged Bird Seal keeps Ed from leaving Konoha and also hurts him if he tries to tamper with it.
- Sir Swears-a-Lot: Edward and Tayuya. Then they meet
- Slave Brand: Ed certainly interprets the Cage Bird Seal as such.
- Soap Punishment: Happened to Kaemon when he repeated a few of Edward's choice words about the interrogation department to his mother, in spite of (and likely because of) Edward's warning that "her head would explode."
- The Spook: Edward himself, from Konoha's perspective anyway. No one knows what he is, where he is from, or what he is capable of. It doesn't help that Konoha is feeling very vulnerable and is still unorganized and undermanned after Orochimaru's invasion.
- Survivor Guilt: Apparently the Promised Day didn't go quite as smoothly as it did in canon and Ed is strongly implied to be suffering survivor's guilt as a result. This is probably the cause of Ed's increased Chronic Hero Syndrome tendencies. Several people have remarked on Ed's behavior and speculated that he wants to die.
- Symbol Swearing
- Sympathetic Inspector Antagonist
- Technical Pacifist: Ed. Since he is in the Naruto universe, it is quickly noticed and remarked on.
- To Be Lawful or Good: Poor Hinata. She chose law over good and spends the next five chapters working up the nerve to apologize.
- There Is Another: The "Al Doll" would indicate such. However, exactly who sent it is a mystery, and while Ed initially takes this as a sign that his brother is alive and searching for him, his conversation with the shinigami has led him to believe otherwise. The question of whether it is intended as a message or as a trap has yet to be answered.
- Torture Technician: Ibiki Morino is the head of T&I. Staff members like Anko, Masao, and Goro might also qualify.
- Treasure Chest Cavity: Ed uses his automail as a sort of improvised storage space for small equipment, including his lighter and a roll of pre-inscribed transmutation circles.
- Troll: Ed to Sasuke. All the damn time. This in addition to an earlier embarrassment quickly installs the Fullmetal Alchemist as Sasuke's new Berserk Button.
- Similarly, Anko absolutely loves trolling Ed himself.
- Weak, but Skilled: While Ed's agility and strength are impressive for someone of his stature, his inability use chakra makes him hard-pressed to keep up with his chakra-enhanced shinobi opponents. On the other hand, his alchemy is more versatile and environmentally adaptable than jutsu which, combined with Ed's resourcefulness, allows him to create improvised weapons and equipment from seemingly harmless everyday items (see  above) and control his environment to gain the upper hand (such as creating a vacuum to stop sonic-based weapons or transmutating the air into nitric oxide to anaesthize building occupants).
- Well-Intentioned Extremist: T&I don't particularly want to hurt Ed, but they want his information and techniques, for the good of Konoha, at any cost.
- World of Snark
- You Can Talk?: Ed's first encounter with Nin Animal Companions ends with him moving back in surprise, tripping over a dog, and pass out on the floor of a vet clinic.