Fan Fic / The Reprint And Repackaging Of Evangelion
The Reprint and Repackaging of Evangelion
is a parody/humor fanfiction written by Marik Kurakashi and hosted on Fanfiction.net. It is currently in progress.
The story is yet another Alternate Universe
retelling of the series, featuring a fast-talking and smart-mouthed Shinji that is called upon by Gendo to pilot Evangelion Unit-01. What happens when he's ordered to actually pilot, however, deviates from the norm in a big way and sets the tone for the rest of the story
This fic can be very hard to take seriously at times, but also has moments of genuine emotional depth. Overall, it is surprisingly enjoyable despite its odd nature (even compared to most NGE fiction).
After being apparently dead for years the fic has been updated, to the rejoicing of its fans.
This fanfic contains examples of:
- Affectionate Parody: No time is wasted in the story to make fun of anything and everything, even itself.
- Alas, Poor Villain: In-universe with Iruel and Leliel. Yes, both of them.
- All Women Are Lustful: You know things are out of control when Asuka has a more restrained libido than Rei for pete's sake.
- Alternate Character Interpretation: The entire cast gets elements revamped into various new personalities.
- The Atoner: Gendo grew a conscience after Yui's death in this fic, and he feels genuinely bad about sending Shinji away.
- Author Appeal: Rather obvious with the not-so-subtext in the fic.
- Big Good: This seems to be Gendo and Fuyutski's role in this story.
- The Cameo: Leeron and Leite from Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann work for NERV's weapons division
- Cerebus Syndrome: The story hasn't gotten darker, and the humour is still present, but with some of the most recent Angels - namely, Iruel and Leliel - being depicted in an more Anti-Villain light, the Angels are being treated less as joke villains and more sympathetically, giving this story genuine Tear Jerker moments. Averted with Bardiel, however. Zeruel is amping it up even more since he's being established as the first Angel who is a credible, genuine threat. Hoo, boy ...
- Chainsaw Good: The double bladed chainsaw sword used by Rei in 12
- Cloning Blues: Subtle, but there. A lot of Rei's mental issues stem from being a clone, the death of the first Rei, and who she was cloned from. And not necessarily in that order.
- Crowning Moment of Awesome: Gendo's Rousing Speech, in part because it's so unexpected, and in part because ... well, it's awesome.
- Crowning Moment of Funny: "In retrospect, I could of always gotten a second job."
- Shinji's reaction to Rei's sudden appearance in chapter 7
- Deadpan Snarker: Shinji
- Department of Redundancy Department: The Narrator - during the SEELE scene in Chapter 17 - and Bardiel.
- Development Hell: The Zeruel mini-arc effectively killed the story dead for years, as the author first lost interest in writing it and couldn't force himself to get the gumption back up until a recent bout of inspiration revived the story. Also not helping was some technical issues with computers and forgetting to back up a partially written version of twenty. D'oh.
- Eye Scream: Zeruel takes a prog knife right in the ol' eye ball.
- A God Am I: Rei snaps and proclaims "I am the closest thing to God these humans will ever know." after Shinji blows her off. She calms down.
- Go Mad from the Revelation: Attemped by Lilith with her gifts to Gendo. Specifically, she was trying to get him to read the Dead Sea Scrolls and go nuts, where upon he'd murder everyone at NERV before himself. Averted though, through yet to be revealed means.
- The Heart: Asuka's role is to be the one who understands and empathizes with the opponents even more than the other two.
- Heroic B.S.O.D.: The pilots have one after the confrontation with Leliel.
- Heroic Sacrifice: Leliel has Shinji destroy her so that the Children won't end up in a different world from their own
- Humanoid Abomination: Mari Illustrious Makinami is a scientific experiment of Gendo's, specifically housing the soul of an Eva in a human body.
- Hurricane of Euphemisms: Maya colorfully shoots down Aoba in 15
- Idiosyncratic Episode Naming: Every chapter title is a song lyric
- I Just Want to Have Friends: Leliel.
- Ineffectual Sympathetic Villain: Many of the Angels are so pathetic that it's hard not to feel a little sorry for them when they inevitably get their asses handed to them by the pilots. Iruel and Leliel's deaths are definite Tear Jerker material.
- However, this has been subverted with Zeruel, so far.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: Shinji's still a hero, but man oh man is he touchy. Still better than canon.
- Jerk With A Heart Of Jerk: Zeruel
- Kick the Son of a Bitch: Zeruel's death is deliberately drug out by Asuka because he's that much of an asshole
- Knight of Cerebus: Zeruel.
- Large Ham: Bardiel
- Leaning on the Fourth Wall: Bardiel, again.
- Lemony Narrator: The descriptive prose gets off track at times.
- Noodle Incident: "November 13th, freshman year."
- Power Trio: The Eva Pilots of course
- Rousing Speech: Delivered by Gendo in chapter 7
- Ship Tease: The story can't decide on Shinji/Asuka or Shinji/Rei, and so chooses to tease both.
- Shout-Out: Lots and lots of shouts
- Single-Stroke Battle: The finals showdown with Ramiel is this.
- Tear Jerker: Iruel's death, in so much that he came into his fight with knowledge he'd die. He faces his death without a single regret.
- Also done with Leliel's death. Her personality is that of a sweet girl roughly the pilots' age, and she pulls a Heroic Sacrifice to get them back home from her dimension.
- The Tease: Asuka towards Shinji
- This Is a Drill: Shinji uses a giant arm drill against Sandalphon.
- Tsundere: Rei has a few elements of this. Justified in Chapter 5, where Gendo reveals that Shinji probably awoke Yui's teenaged personality. Since Rei suggesting a fate more violent for Ramiel then Shinji's suggestion of spamming N2 mines was the proof he needed, this is probably not a good thing.
- The Unfought: Bardiel. And it is HILARIOUS!
- What Could Have Been: Zeruel was supposed to fight and beat all three Evangelions in a suitably epic fight, only for all three to go berserk and mulch him. Unable to write a satisfying fight lead to the dead period and eventually the wrap up of the fight in 20. Iruel was originally supposed to be a "funny" battle, filled with Portal and Touhou shout-outs and jokes, but that fell apart when the author realized that was lame as fuck.
- What Measure Is a Non-Human?: After meeting and talking to Leliel, the pilots start to question whether the other Angels were actually decent individuals who they could have befriended. Also done with Iruel, but to a somewhat lesser extent.
- "World of Cardboard" Speech: Iruel's Final Speech is basically summing up everything about him.
- Wrestler in All of Us: Shinji and Asuka using wrestling moves to beat Israfel.