Speargun: the Untold Story of Cyrus
is a fan work chronicling Cyrus's Start of Darkness
. It is written by Sith Droideka 2
, otherwise known as Sith Droideka on FF.net and Bulbagarden. It can be found here
It has been nominated for several awards (though none have been won) in the Bulbagarden Fanfiction Awards. Despite this, it seems rather obscure.
The basic plot is the tale of how Cyrus becomes an Omnicidal Maniac
. Along the way, he deals with Team Rocket's invasion
, five Rocket commanders out to get him
, a mysterious politician
, and his family falling apart
This Work contains examples of:
- Aerith and Bob: Balthasar and Fred
- Annoying Younger Sibling: Archer
- Big Bad: Commander Buran
- "Blind Idiot" Translation: Handsome speaks like this
- Chekhov's Gun: The titular speargun
- The Chessmaster: the Prime Minister
- Colonel Kilgore: General Titan
- Corrupt Corporate Executive: Dr. Sceptile is a subversion. He seems corrupt at first glance due to his dealing with the Prime Minister, but in actuality he runs his company at a loss (in one area) to provide for refugees.
- Crapsack World: Sinnoh is not a nice place to live.
- Creepy Child: Cyrus
- As noted by the beta reader, Cyrus is about 12 but talks like an adult since he never had any friends growing up, only scientists and machines
- Darker and Edgier: in spades
- Dark Is Not Evil: So far Siber the Sneasel and Templar the Absol are the only members of Cyrus' team, and both of them are Dark-type.
- Depraved Kids' Show Host: Buddy the Torterra, Mir's main pokémon, was once a kid's show host. He is actually a subversion, however.
- Dishing Out Dirt: Pericles the Larvitar's specialty
- Doomed Hometown: Archie and Maxie's home village on the slopes of Sootopolis Volcano
- Downer Ending: It's the story of Cyrus! What do you expect?
- Fantasy Gun Control: According to Solari this used to exist in the past, up until the Great Gym War. The Prime Minister also declared the Vielstone legend to no longer apply in an early chapter.
- Five-Bad Band: The Team Rocket commanders
- Follow the Leader: of [[Better Than Canon Rival's Story, although somewhat accidentally since the author didn't actually read Rival's Story until Chapter XII had been finished.
- Free-Range Children: Justified and averted. Justified because law and order have broken down with Team Rocket's invasion, but averted in that very few children or teenagers have been seen traveling.
- Freudian Excuse: Cyrus's childhood was not a happy one.
- Government in Exile: Supposedly, but the Prime Minister seems to be running everything by himself from Sinnoh
- Great Offscreen War: The Great Gym War was at first, but now its story is being told in a companion story. The Rocket War outside of Sinnoh may count too, though.
- Incredibly Lame Pun: Agent Dynamo makes these all the time
- Interesting Situation Duel:
- Katanas Are Just Better: Mir tries to kill Cyrus with an old katana
- Kill It with Fire: Magmortar
- Kill It with Ice: Siber
- Kinetic Weapons Are Just Better: despite elemental beams, portable black-hole generators, and pokémon with more power than the average African military, guns are still seen as a viable military alternative to pokémon
- Luke, I Am Your Father: Soyuz, although Cyrus doesn't know that yet...
- The Mafia: Team Rocket, with shades of the Empire.
- Military Brat: Saturn Titan
- Mr. Exposition: Carl, father of Junior the shorts kid
- My Master, Right or Wrong: Balthasar, Fred, and Magmortar to the Prime Minister
- 108: Lady Spiritomb
- Our Ghosts Are Different: according to Archie Eternal has some ghostly powers, sort of like how there are psychic humans
- President Evil: The Prime Minister
- Private Military Contractors: The Prime Minister hired some Russian ones
- Pungeon Master: Agent Dynamo
- Small Name, Big Ego: the author, obviously. He, by himself, created this page and is the only one to update it.
- The Smart Guy: Pericles the Larvitar
- Stealth Expert: Dusknoir
- The Stoic: Cyrus is already something like this, and is increasingly finding emotions bizarre and useless
- The Strategist: Mir is Team Rocket's Sinnoh Branch strategist.
- Theme Naming: Guess what Buran, Soyuz, Sputnik, and Mir are named after?
- Those Two Guys: Balthasar and Fred
- War Is Hell