Eva Possibilites and Fusion Pandemonion
is a Neon Genesis Evangelion
crossover fic written by Xed Alpha.
A year or so after Majin Buu's defeat, Goten & Trunks try to replicate Gotenks' ripping a hole between dimensions done back during his fight against Super Buu. However, they screw up, and are instead sucked through a rift that spits them out in Tokyo-3, just as the berserk Unit-01 starts beating the crap out of the 3rd Angel
. Soon after, Goku & Vegeta, thanks to Bulma
, follow the boys, and soon the four get themselves involved in the world's plight (mainly because the dimensional interference caused by the Angels' existence is preventing them from going home). Soon after Bulma's tech inadvertently sends her and the four all of NERV's most classified data, Goku & Vegeta decide to do what they can to clandestinely throw as many spanners into SEELE's & Gendo's works as they can, soon recruiting Shinji to help them. All the while, the Angels continue their assaults, as Saiyans and pilots join to protect the planet.
This fic, while originally suffering from a few problems
, is mostly a great read. Plenty of new things happen (especially in later chapters) to keep things fresh, battles are done justice, moments of humor are perfectly interspersed with drama, and Shinji shows that he has inherited his father's Magnificent Bastard-ness
.Add tropes as you spot 'em.Important Notice!
The author has taken down the original link and has chosen to look over and revise the story. It was recently moved from the 'Evangelion' section to the crossovers one. The defunct former link has been taken down and replaced by the new one. The author intends to gradually upload each chapter one by one until reaching the current point in the story, before continuing further - as of October 2012, Chapters 1-14 have been re-uploaded. Tropes listed below are still relevant however, though Rouge Angles of Satin
will be dealt with according to Word of God
. The author has also stated that he retained all original text before taking it down so, whilst the fic seems to be mostly rewritten, it retains the spirit of the original.
Categorize Under Appropriate Trope Please
: While still goofy and fun-loving, and by no means book-smart, this fic shows Goku as being very wise and insightful, dispensing sage advice to the NGE crew (especially Shinji, who Goku sorta takes under his wing and becomes the dad-figure the kid desperately needs), consistently assessing situations calmly & thoroughly and coming up with effective solutions, and even managing to toss a few wrenches in Gendō’s and SEELE’s plots.
- Back From The Not Quite Dead: Yui Ikari, first as a hitchhiker in Shinji’s body, and then getting her own body back later.
- Courtesy of Leliel's space-time manipulation abilities, the remake has added Cell and Broly.
- Big Damn Heroes: Goku and Vegeta showing up just in time to prevent Brolly from killing Asuka.
- Big Damn Villains: Not that anyone realised it but Cell cut off one of Broly's arms, allowing Goku and company to overwhelm him.
- Breaking Speech: Vegeta gives a little one to Misato in Ch. 14 (“At least I have managed to reset my destiny and choose a course I am now true to, regaining what was once lost… You dwell on that past, however; you allow it to own your destiny, not moving on, dishonoring the sacrifices made for you… A weakness”). It works.
- Caught the Heart on His Sleeve: Rei, to Shinji in Chapter 13.
- Cool Big Sis: Rei has pretty much become this to Goten, as has Asuka to Trunks.
- Cloud Cuckoo Lander: Yui has shades of this when she returns. Or maybe it's just because she seems overly nice and friendly compared to the original atmosphere of Evangelion.
- Cry Cute: Rei, in Chapter 13. Don't worry, though; they're tears of happiness.
- Curb-Stomp Battle: Vegeta curb-stomps Shamshel; Goku tries to let NERV handle Ramiel by themselves, but when Shinji & Rei get into what he sees as too much danger, he promptly skewers the Angel with a Kamehameha; Super Saiyan 3 Gotenks vs. Gaghiel… ‘nuff said; Trunks uses his sword (from Tapion from the 13th movie) to take Matarael down with little effort; Bardiel manages to incorporate Saiyan genes into itself after Goten briefly touches the infected Unit-03, and promptly curb-stomps the Evas, Goku & Vegeta, and even Gotenks, especially once it uses a Dummy Plug body to form its own, Goten-sized body independent of Eva-03, and gets a massive power boost in the process… and then Goku & Vegeta fuse, and Bardiel is utterly, mercilessly curb-stomped by Gogeta; berserk Unit-01 vs. Zeruel, even more of a curb-stomp than in canon, since the berserk state was triggered not by Shinji’s desperation, but by his Unstoppable Rage at Zeruel nearly killing Rei.
- Cuteness Proximity: A group of middle-school girls' reaction to Goten.
- Deadpan Snarker: Vegeta (of course), Shinji, Yui
- Department of Redundancy Department: Piccolo is referred to as a 'green Namekian' in the first chapter.
- Doting Parent: Yui explicitly describes herself as one after fussing over Shinji once she gets her body back.
- Eldritch Abomination: The fic mentions that the Angels consider the Saiyans to be these.
- Eye Scream: Goten attempts this against Brolly by shooting an energy blast into his eye. It doesn't work but does make him flinch, allowing Goten to escape from his grip.
- Flat "What.": This fic's Shinji's reaction to the synchronization training idea in preparation for the rematch with Israfel.
- Groin Attack: Asuka attempts this against Brolly. Unfortunately he has Balls of Steel.
- Headbutt Thermometer: Yui does this to Shinji while fussing over his health once they both get out of Eva-01.
- Heel-Face Turn: Gendo, after Yui's return.
- Henpecked Husband: Gendō, once Yui gets her body back.
- Heroic BSOD: Shinji suffers quite the big one when, courtesy of Bulma’s hacking tech, Goku & Vegeta show him everything regarding NERV & SEELE, their agendas and purposes, and such. He then decides to get dangerous and side with Goku & Vegeta against Gendō & SEELE. Misato has one when Vegeta’s Breaking Speech hits home.
- Highly-Visible Ninja / Conspicuous Trenchcoat: Shinji laughs at Section 2’s pitiful attempts to blend in with the scenery whenever they’re shadowing him.
- Important Beard Trim: Gendō, at Yui’s insistence after she gets her body back
- Lethal Chef: Misato does what is thought to be impossible: Give Goku indegestion.
- Lighter and Softer: Than NGE- it helps that the Saiyans are on a greater level of power than most Angels. Downplayed later on, but the outcome's still looking better than canon - loads better.
- Mama Bear: Upon gaining access to all of Shinji’s memories, the first thing Yui-in-Shinji’s-body does is head to the Commander’s Office and one-punch-KO Gendō hard enough to break Shinji’s hand. It's also strongly implied Yui would've killed Misato had she actually thrown a punch at her whilst occupying Shinji's body.. On a lesser note early on in the story, Bulma manages to scare Vegeta into submission when he objects to fusing with Goku to follow the boys.
- Marshmallow Hell: In chapter 9, Goten gets one from Misato.
- Mind Hug: How Kyōko Sōryū’s soul nullifies Arael’s psychic attack on Asuka; Trunks helped.
- Official Couple: Shinji/Rei; Yui/Gendo.
- Oh Crap: Vegeta has a minor one of these when he learns in a spar that Trunks has learned the Kamehameha.
- One in the remake, when after the Leilei battle...BROLY emerges.
- Papa Wolf: Vegeta does not take NERV capturing Trunks well, as Gendō painfully learns. Goku’s also starting to show shades of surrogate-Papa Wolf towards Shinji. Shinji also becomes this whenever Rei's involved.
- Relationship Upgrade: Shinji & Rei consummate their relationship... with Shinji forgetting that Yui’s still inside his head and thus getting a front-row seat for the action.
- Rouge Angles of Satin: The fic's biggest and most notable flaw is the widespread presence of spelling and grammar issues.
- Possibly subverted, since the author took the fic down and began rewriting it, many of these issues seem to have been addressed.
- Ship Tease: Maya/Gohan (or "Moriyama Gohannesburg").
- Sugar and Ice Personality: Rei, full stop. Still mostly cool-tempered with most people, but her sugary-sweet side - reserved for Shinji and Goten - is absolutely adorable.
- Team Dad: Goku, especially to Shinji. Yui explicitly states that she trusts Goku with Shinji's life far more than she ever could trust Gendo.
- This Is Wrong on So Many Levels: After Yui has trouble in walking with Shinji’s body:
Yui: Gimme a break, here; he's got such short legs and he certainly didn't get these hips from me I tell you" (pats him/herself on the hips, rubbing them up and down slightly) "...Hmm must've gotten these from his father (squeezes them once or twice) ohh yeah that's Gendō alright..."
Misato: "Oooohkay.. That was turning just wrong on SO many levels..."
- Trapped in Another World: At least Bulma figured out how to send reinforcements and open two-way communications between the two worlds.
- Xanatos Speed Chess: A lovely three-way match of SEELE vs. Gendō vs. the Saiyans & Shinji. Later turns into NERV, Gendō, Yui, Shinji, & the Saiyans vs. SEELE.
- Villainous Rescue: Broly is prevented from self-destructing and destroying the heroes by Cell, who severs one of his arms using one of Frieza's Kienzan discs.