Fan Fic: Demon of Justice
Demon of Justice is crossover between Mobile Suit Gundam Wing
and Oath of Swords
. It is a notable piece of fanfiction that predates both TV Tropes and Fan Fiction Net
. Due to real life issues work on it stopped sometime in 2005/2006. As of Mar. 4th, 2013 it has been updated to Chapter 41.
In a battle with Oz forces Chang Wufei strikes an experimental enemy weapon at just the right moment, any earlier or later and he would have died. As it is the weapon, which accessed power from the fabric between worlds, did explode, and shove Wufei and Nataku through the fabric of reality. Before Wufei could go mad in the nothingness between realities he is summoned; as a demon.
In Orfressa, where two factions of gods have been at war for millennia, things aren't going well for the good guys. The continent of Kontovar fell to the Dark and had to be wiped clean by a wizardly Kill Sat
, but the biggest victory Phrobus
pulled off is one no one remembers
. Without the Light Gods of War & Death, the others are trying to pick up the slack, but there are far more demon summoners and undead about.
Wufei now has to deal with this new, medieval, world. Learning languages, non humans, gods, a new link to his Gundam, and a Godly Stalker. His friends back home have to adapt to life without him, a new peace, and the fact that their friendship is one that will never
Original archive is here
. Another archive can be found here
. Updates will eventually appear there. For now new updates are found on Live Journal
Page is a serious
work in progress.
Tropes included are:
- Action Girl - Naiya. She's a Horse Stealer Hradani, one of the few tribes that teach their women to fight. She's probably about as tall as an average human man and supernatural stamina and strength. While she hasn't really 'fought' yet, she has looted the dead bodies of her kidnappers and tried to charge towards where an angry dark war god was because Wufei might need her.
- Actual Pacifist - Relena
- Affably Evil - The second priest of Sharna we meet
- All Crimes Are Equal - Rent and Taxes in the Purple Lord Lands.
"Defaulting on rent gets you evicted, you see, but tax evasion is treason. If you plead poverty, and they're feeling lenient, they just evict you, confiscate all your property, and put a lien on your future wages. If they're not feeling lenient, well... treason is a capital crime.".
- All Girls Want Demon Boys: See the Princess Charming Wannabe entry.
- All There in the Manual - Compare this list of the gods with the canon one.
- Alpha Bitch - Vaijon, as in canon. As in canon, he gets better, coming to practically worship Wufei.
- Always Chaotic Evil - Sharna's followers, averted with Krashnark.
- Aristocrats Are Evil - Purple Lords certainly are.
- Asskicking Equals Authority - Krashnark is above Sharna in both power and position in the dark pantheon, and his more powerful father, Phrobus, is above him.
- Authority Equals Asskicking - Champions of the light gods.
- Attack! Attack! Attack!: Demons and Champions, the first because they are magically bound, the second because they wouldn't be champions if they weren't willing to do that.
- Badass Normal: Champions don't have physical powerups, and the various knights and laypeople of an order keep up with them up to Demons.
- Hradani are not normal, especially not Horse Stealers.
- Bad Dreams: Wufei dreams of his people blowing themselves up.
- Bar Brawl: Defused into Bar Arm Wrestling.
- Bearer of Bad News: Brandark is in the unenviable position of having to tell Bahzell's family about his death.
- Better to Die Than Be Killed: If a priest of a god kills you in that god's temple your soul belongs to them. Some of them eat souls, most dark priests will torture you to death.
- Big Bad: Sharna
- Big Damn Heroes: Several instances
- Big Screwed-Up Family - The Dark Gods.
- Bigger Bad: most of Sharna's siblings and his parents, notably Phrobus.
- Boogie Knights: Mentioned. Duo left Wufei some dance music for his Gundam. Not even Wufei knows why a gundam would need dance music, and seems to be slightly afraid along with being mostly bemused.
- Breaking the Fellowship: Happens in the prologue, and is partially subverted. Wufei is having trouble in the new world, meanwhile back home, with the exception of a busted knee and some angst, things are going Very well.
- Break the Haughty: Vaijon, though he isn't directly tortured.
- Butt Monkey: Yithar.
- Can't Argue With ''Half'' Elves - The Purple Lords. Argue at your own risk.
- Calling Your Attacks: Averted.
- Catapult Nightmare: Gunnar yes. Wufei has to be woken up.
- Chekhov's Gun - What are a hradani father and daughter doing in a human village?
- Cold-Blooded Torture: Priests of Sharna do this.
- Colour-Coded for Your Convenience: In Universe example. Gold stitching (of a pick) on a brown field is the the sign of the Order of Torframos.
- Combat Pragmatist: Invoked, and then discarded.
- Combat Tentacles: An amorphous demon forms them with fanged mouths on the tips.
- Krashnark used thorny stone ones to block Sharna.
- Cosmic Retcon
- Crossover: Between Gundam Wing and The War Gods.
- Death by Adaptation: Bahzell himself, the main hero of the War Gods series. The authors like him, but couldn't keep him alive without him taking over the plot. So he dies after his final battle against Harnak.
- Destructive Saviour: Hard to avoid when one of the fighters is a giant robot in the fields of a medieval village, and the enemy is a amorphous screaming blob.
- Disproportionate Retribution - Yithar was seen wetting and shitting his pants in fear demands 'taxes' early so he can put the villagers out, because they laughed at him.
- Distressed Damsel - Vaijon's not completely wrong?
- Doomed by Canon - Averted for Yithar, who was killed by Bazhell shortly after his introduction in canon. Sadly. Averted in Chapter 32.
- Dying Moment of Awesome: Wufei knew full well he might die taking out the cannon. The amount of destruction the exploding cannon causes, however, is credited as to why OZ surrendered. Fortunately for the story, he didn't die.
- Eats Babies: Inferred.
- Even Evil Has Standards: Krashnark yes, he's considered something a disappointment to his parents.
- Everything Is Better With Princes
- Spear Counterpart
- Warrior Prince - Wufei technically is one.
- Royal Brat - Vaijon again, before he got it shamed out of him.
- Prince Charming - Vaijon again, though he's not so charming to the peasantry.
- Princess Charming Wannabe - Rami, invoked, played with, parodied, reconstructed, discussed, and conversed.
"Well, I know Wufei's not in love with me," Rami said frankly. "And, well, he is very handsome, in a scary demonic sort of way, but... I can't imagine him settling down and having children in a comfortable little cottage, doing repairs and things. I want the cottage and the children and the sort of husband who'll fit in there, so there was no point falling in love with him." She smiled up at Naiya. "It was fun pretending, though. Just like a ballad!"
- Rebel Prince - Wufei did not want to pilot Nataku, he much rather have been a scholar, or rather...
- The Wise Prince
- Evil Prince - Krashnark
- Evil Is One Big Happy Family - Averted. The Dark Gods quarrel with each other, especially twin brothers Krashnark and Sharna.
- Evil Sorcerer: Well, given that there's a goddess of dark magic, it's not surprising there are a lot of these...
- Face Doodling: Mentioned
- Fan Fic: This is a fanfic, and people have written fanfic based off of this fanfic.
- Fantastic Racism: What a hradani father and daughter doing living peacefully in a human village, given the canonical level of hatred for hradani outside their own lands?
- Fate Worse Than Death: Not only are they going to use your death to summon a demon that will kill all your friends and family, your soul is going to be devoured as well.
- Fire-Forged Friends: The Gundam pilots.
- Five-Man Band: The Pilots again.
- Flashback Nightmare
- For Want Of Two Gods: Things in Orfressa are subtly different than in canon. Bahzell's story particularly plays out differently.
- Genre Savvy: Wufei wishes Duo was with him, because Duo would be genre savvy, or at least having tons of fun.
- Gods Need Prayer Badly - even dark gods. Krashnark shouldn't have ignored his church.
- Writing this is literally psychologist-approved therapy for Mel.
- Good Thing You Can Heal - Exploited by Wufei when he busts his eardrums.
- Greed: One of Yithar's many unpleasant qualities.
- Heel Realization - Relena, used to avert the Character Bashing common in the Wing fandom.
- Heroic Sacrifice
- Honor Before Reason - Wufei and Krashnark. This is why Krashnark is still with his father despite getting along with some of the Light Gods.
- I Owe You My Life - Invoked by Vaijon. Averted by Wufei and Krashnark, since Krashnark doesn't expect Wufei to honor it, and he wouldn't anyway.
- Internal Retcon: Phrobus is powerful, and crazy enough, to make it a Cosmic Retcon.
- Infinite Supplies: Wufei prays that this won't happen.
- Killer Rabbit: If a bunny came to Orfressa from another dimension, it would be a demon, and possibly this.
- Kill It with Fire: First, kill it with your flamethrower, then purify it with fire, then finally, actually start trying to kill something with fire.
- Meaningful Name - Nataku means justice. Tomanak, one of the missing gods, was the god of just war & justice.
- Medieval Stasis: Averted in canon.
- The Mind Is a Plaything of the Body: Averted with Wufei.
- Mission from God - This is the Schtick of Champions
- Mooks - There are plenty of nameless evil minions in the Forces Of Evil, but it's not uncommon in Mel and Christy's words for for some of them to get a name and a line of characterization. Even if it's right before they get their throat sliced open.
- Morality Pet - Wufei for Krashnark
- Mundane Utility - Wufei using his strength to pull fire wood apart; not break it over his knee, but forcibly pull it apart. And channeling though his body Nataku's dragon fang to light the fire.
- My Friends...and Relena - starts this way, then she's adopted, and adopts them.
- The Napoleon - The Dwarfs, and Marfang Island Halflings. Played for laughs between each other, not an example of turning them into Butt Monkies.
- The Nicknamer - Duo.
- Nightmare Fuel Station Attendant - The priest of Sharna, actually almost friendly.
- Noble Demon - Krashnark and Wufei.
- Nominal Importance - Averted occasionally. One of the authors advocates changing names in a baby name book, the other angsts over it and won't do something so unimportant. However at least one character has been killed in the same scene that he's been named.
- Our Demons Are Different - Any being from another dimension under a certain power level qualifies as a demon, even a bunny. Discussed Trope - characters wonder if such a bunny would become Killer Rabbit.
- Our Half Elves Are Better - The Purple Lords, or so they say.
- Polar Opposite Twins - Krashnark & Sharna are identical twins. Within the Dark Pantheon Krashnark is second to only his Father in power, he is personally courageous and honorable. Sharna is a stupid mewling coward and substantially weaker than Krashnark.
- Poor Communication Kills: Averted. How do you explain gods and demons and revenge to someone who doesn't speak your language? "Sharna's people fight."
- Refusal of the Call - All champions do this at first, so presumably Wufei's initial refusal isn't that unusual, especially for a Dark God that prefers decent people.
- However, the person who tells us all champions do this at first is a Light God and only speaks of his own champions. Given that champions have to be somewhat similar to their Gods and the God chooses which of the people with potential become champions, it may only be His champions who hold themselves to such high ideals that they object on the grounds they are unworthy.
- Ripple-Effect-Proof Memory - Played with. Some characters are aware that they are missing something. Phrobus is cited as the reason why the number 7 is unlucky in Orfressa, though he is the fifth child now.
- Songfic - Songfic (sometimes has Wufei play music in-fic - is there a specific trope for that?) - Exploited Wufei blows his eardrums, rendering himself temporarily deaf, to shut up Krashnark.
- Sorting Algorithm of Evil: Debateable, there's the first priest, and then the better prepared priest.
- Stalker with a Crush - Relena although she gets better and Krashnark, although he'd deny it.
- Starts with a Suicide: A Heroic Sacrifice actually
- Stupid Evil: Sharna
- Taking You with Me: Assuming the worst this is what Wufei intended in the prologue.
- A Tankard of Moose Urine - Played with. Wufei likes the beer in the village, stating it was rather like Chinese beer with taste and low alcohol content. However, Yithar pours it out on the ground.
- Tempting Fate: Yithar.
- There Should Be a Law - There is amongst the militant orders' codes, but the Purple Lords don't accept it—nor do they reject it, leaving them in a political limbo where they can ignore it.
- The Purple Lords don't have exclusion clauses for acts of God or Demons.
- Token Non-Human: Averted, Wufei is a demon, and there are humans, Hrdani, and dwarves and humans, and Yithar.
- Torture Technician - Sharna's followers, especially his priests.
- True Companions - Time, space, dimensions: nothing can break the bonds the pilots formed with each other.
- The Unchosen One - Several people who were The Chosen One in the original books, such as Bazhell, Vaijon and presumably Kerry. By Word of God, Vaijon was essentially born with the knowledge that he was going to become a Champion, unfortunately.
- Virgin Sacrifice - the power from a sacrifice is equal to the unused potential energy of the victim: virgins have more. Wufei, as a demon, has lots.
- What Measure Is a Non-Human?
- With Friends Like These... - Krashnark is disgusted by his family and bored by his worshippers - the first potential champion he's seen in eons is a break from the monotony he'll go very far for.
- Wrong Genre Savvy - Vaijon, who, as in canon, thinks this is some normal Chivalric Romance or Knight in Shining Armor story.