Anyone who has ever wanted to see just what would happen if Raditz became a major DBZ character is in for a treat with Break Through The Limit
, a Dragon Ball
fanfiction written by Captain Space.
Shortly after a much more drastic defeat in the 23rd Tenkaichi Budoukai, Piccolo Jr. resolved to defeat Son Goku and trained far harder than he had done in DBZ canon. The results are felt 5 years later when Raditz comes to Earth only to find himself outmatched by Piccolo. The series of events that follow eventually lead to a Heel-Face Turn
by Raditz and a new take on the DBZ universe.
The tropes appearing in Break Through The Limit are
- A Day in the Limelight: Tien and Krillin have a couple chapters that focus on them
- Gohan, Videl, and Kuriza have a miniarc in the countdown saga
- Alternate Universe Fic
- Calling the Old Man Out: During the events of the Janemba arc, Kuriza has the opportunity to do this with his father Frieza and his grandfather Cold over their arrogance and cruelty
- Dropped a Bridge on Him: #17, who suddenly ended up minus one head in the future.
- Eldritch Abomination: Super Buu, described by Gohan as "the single greatest catastrophe to ever befall the planet Earth."
- Enemy Mine:
- Goku and Gohan with Vegeta and Broly (briefly) during the Countdown Saga.
- Raditz and Vegeta vs. Mecha Frieza.
- A nonreformed Piccolo joined the fight against the Saiyans.
- Cell joins the fight against Janemba.
- Majin Piccolo temporarily allies with the Z Fighters after being trounced by Super Buu.
- Even Evil Has Loved Ones: Vegeta and Tarble.
- Evil Versus Evil: Turles and Slug control two parts of a planet and the two constantly fight with each other. **Freeza and Cooler have plenty of this as well.
- Curb-Stomp Battle: Vegeta vs. Ginyu and Guldo, Gohan vs. Broly.
- Heel-Face Turn: Raditz, Zarbon, and Kuriza.
- Heroic Sacrifice:
- Trunks commits a kamikaze attack on the Androids in order to let Break escape with the time machine.
- Raditz sacrifices himself in the final battle with Cell to save Goku.
- Vegeta uses his life energy for the Final Flash that defeats Myuu!Broly.
- For Want of a Nail: Due to the events of the story, Piccolo and Vegeta are never reformed, Piccolo's personality is suppressed when Kami/Piccolo fuse with Nail, and Vegeta eventually dies in battle against Dr Raichi. As a result, Trunks is not a half-sayian, but rather the son of Bulma and Zarbon
- In Spite of a Nail: Despite the major changes, the heroes still go to Namek, the Androids are still created and Cell still becomes perfect.
- No-One Could Have Survived That: Broly, who survives getting shot into space by Gohan.
- Original Character: Break, the daughter of Raditz and Launch, who is this universe's equivalent of Future Trunks. Trunks still exists, but he is now the son of Bulma and Zarbon.
- Sibling Rivalry: Goku and Raditz develop a friendly one while training and Freeza and Cooler maintain their rivalry/hatred from canon. Their rivalry comes to a climax when Cooler defeats Frieza on Namek.
- Split Personality Merge: Piccolo and Kami merge per usual but form a combined personality rather than making Piccolo the dominant personality. The combined Namek fuses with Nail in order to suppress the Piccolo part of the personality.
- The two sides of Launch's personality merge.
- Super Mode: Raditz is the first to obtain Super Saiyan, followed shortly by Vegeta then Goku.
- Took a Level in Badass: Launch, who trains herself to about the same level as the other earthlings and learns the Kaioken.
- The Unfought: Though the Z Fighters do briefly fight Frieza in his first and second froms, Frieza is literally torn from the battle by Cooler. Raditz and Vegeta do later fight Meta Frieza however.
- Worf Had The Flu: Gohan, who had already achieved Super Saiyan 2 in the fight with Broly, contracts Goku's heart disease right before the final battle with Cell and is out of commission for the entire fight.