TV Tropes Needs Your Help
View Kickstarter Project
Big things are happening on TV Tropes! New admins, new designs, fewer ads, mobile versions, beta testing opportunities, thematic discovery engine, fun trope tools and toys, and much more - Learn how to help here
and discuss here
Fan Fic: Break Through The Limit
Anyone who has ever wanted to see just what would happen if Raditz became a major DBZ character is in for a treat with Break Through The Limit
, a Dragon Ball
fanfiction written by Captain Space.
Shortly after a much more drastic defeat in the 23rd Tenkaichi Budoukai, Piccolo Jr. resolved to defeat Son Goku and trained far harder than he had done in DBZ canon. The results are felt 5 years later when Raditz comes to Earth only to find himself outmatched by Piccolo. The series of events that follow eventually lead to a Heel-Face Turn
by Raditz and a new take on the DBZ universe.
The tropes appearing in Break Through The Limit are
- A Fate Worse Than Death: Nail, who's been completely absorbed into the Majin Piccolo psyche.
- Absurdly Sharp Blade: Raditz's Katchin Sword and Tapion's Blade
- A Day in the Limelight: Tien and Krillin have a couple chapters that focus on them
- Gohan, Videl, and Kuriza have a miniarc in the Countdown Saga
- Action Girl: As in canon, Android 18 and Videl, but also Break, her mother Launch, Chi-Chi, Pan and Marron.
- Action Mom: Though not a fighter persay, Chi-Chi is shown to have trained and learned how to fly in the Buu Saga and transfers her energy to Gohan along with the rest of her family during the God of Destruction Saga. Also, Launch.
- Alternate Universe Fic
- Amazonian Beauty: Break takes after her mother in appearance, and in her ascended forms has been described as amazonian.
- The Atoner: One of the reasons Raditz doesn't wish to be revived.
- Calling the Old Man Out: During the events of the Janemba arc, Kuriza has the opportunity to do this with his father Frieza and his grandfather Cold over their arrogance and cruelty
- The Cavalry: The Gods of Destruction, alongside Gohan, during the Shadow Dragon Saga in Even Further Beyond.
- Curb-Stomp Battle: Vegeta vs. Ginyu and Guldo, Gohan vs. Broly.
- Dead Guy Junior: Vegeta Jr., the son of Tarble who was named after his uncanny resemblance to his dead uncle.
- Door Stopper: Clocking at over 100 chapters and 600,000 words, and it is still continuing.
- Dropped a Bridge on Him: #17, who suddenly ended up minus one head in the future.
- Eldritch Abomination: Super Buu, described by Gohan as "the single greatest catastrophe to ever befall the planet Earth."
- The Shadow Dragon Saga has the Eternal, a being that consumes entire universe.
- Enemy Mine:
- A nonreformed Piccolo joined the fight against the Saiyans.
- Raditz and Vegeta vs. Mecha Frieza.
- Goku and Gohan with Vegeta and Broly (briefly) during the Countdown Saga.
- Cell joins the fight against Janemba.
- Majin Piccolo temporarily allies with the Z Fighters after being trounced by Super Buu.
- Even Evil Has Loved Ones: Vegeta and Tarble.
- Evil Versus Evil: Turles and Slug constantly feud over two sides of the same planet.
- Heel-Face Turn: Raditz, Zarbon, Kuriza and Dr.Myuu.
- Heroic Sacrifice:
- Trunks commits a kamikaze attack on the Androids in order to let Break escape with the time machine.
- Raditz sacrifices himself in the final battle with Cell to save Goku.
- Vegeta uses his life energy for the Final Flash that defeats Myuu!Broly.
- How Do I Shot Web?: Gohan when attempting to figure out his new Super Saiyan God powers.
- For Want of a Nail: Due to the events of the story, Piccolo and Vegeta are never reformed, Piccolo's personality is suppressed when Kami/Piccolo fuse with Nail, and Vegeta eventually dies in battle against Dr Raichi. As a result, Trunks is not a half-sayian, but rather the son of Bulma and Zarbon
- In Spite of a Nail: Despite the major changes, the heroes still go to Namek, the Androids are still created and Cell still becomes perfect.
- Interspecies Romance: Launch and Raditz.
- Little Stowaway: Kuriza stows away on Paragus' ship during the Broly Arc.
- Missing Mom: Kuriza's mother has only been mentioned once, but there's no word if she's alive or dead.
- Nice Job Breaking It, Hero: Break, in her Ascended Super Saiyan form, does this when she holds off on killing Cell to allow him to absorb Android 18 and become Perfect Cell.
- No-One Could Have Survived That: Broly, who survives getting shot into space by Gohan.
- Original Character: Break, the daughter of Raditz and Launch, who is this universe's equivalent of Future Trunks. Trunks still exists, but he is now the son of Bulma and Zarbon.
- Ship Tease: Between Break and future Broly. The attraction is at least hinted on Break's side.
- Sibling Rivalry: Goku and Raditz develop a friendly one while training and Freeza and Cooler maintain their rivalry/hatred from canon. Their rivalry comes to a climax when Cooler defeats Frieza on Namek.
- Split Personality Merge: Piccolo and Kami merge per usual but form a combined personality rather than making Piccolo the dominant personality. The combined Namek fuses with Nail in order to suppress the Piccolo part of the personality.
- The two sides of Launch's personality merge.
- Super Mode: Raditz is the first to obtain Super Saiyan, followed shortly by Vegeta then Goku.
- Teeth-Clenched Teamwork: Most Enemy Mine situations result in this.
- Took a Level in Badass: Launch, who trains herself to about the same level as the other earthlings and learns the Kaioken.
- As well as pretty much most of the human characters.
- The Unfought: Though the Z Fighters do briefly fight Frieza in his first and second forms, Frieza is literally torn from the battle by Cooler. Raditz and Vegeta do later fight Meta Frieza however.
- Worf Had the Flu: Gohan, who had already achieved Super Saiyan 2 in the fight with Broly, contracts Goku's heart disease right before the final battle with Cell and is out of commission for the entire fight.