Darth Wiki: Treasure Hunter Rune
The (mis)adventures of three friends as they search for the legendary treassure of the Namra Kirana, a treassure so rich that ten thousand princes on ten thousand lifes wouldn't be able to gather enough gold and silver to match a ten thousandth of it, it's also told that the treassure would grant any wish to anybody who finds it. They are lucky enough to have special powers that aid them on their quest, however they are unlucky enough to have those powers backfire on the worst possible times, also they are pathetic fighters (mostly), have no sense of direction, no money, no resources, no allies, no training, and overall are Too Dumb to Live
. But not everything is lost (yet), as they soon make short enemies with Sarlas a powerfull and petty king of thieves who wants the treassure for himself.
Despite being a trio, the main characters aren't a proper Power Trio
but rather a three man-Five-Man Band
, they are:
- Rune.- The titular Treassure Hunter Rune, a simple village boy with no ambition in life and a benevolent attitude towards people, animals, and nature in general, but specially children, cute animals and those in need, on his bad side he is pessimistic, depressive and a little paranoid. He is only looking for the Treassure of Narma Kirana because Velan is. Rune has the power to break anything he hits, along with all bones on his hand and wrist. He is both The Hero and The Chick.
- Velan.- Rune's best and oldest friend, unlike his peer, he is cocky, arrogant, selfish and self centered, doesn't care about other people's suffering, has no qualms about using people and breaking the rules to get the job done, is very prone to anger, overestimates his own inteligence and constantly makes zany schemes that almost never succeed. He is also very girly looking and acts very jealously about Rune. On the bright side Velan is very idealistic and optimistic, has big dreams, dreams of glory, power and riches, never relents and is extremely loyal to those he cares for. Velan has the power to levitate things (and even himself) with his mind, but has to make an effort proportinal to the weight he is lifting, the stress of the situation and the height, time and distance of the levitation. In the band he serves the roles of The Lancer and The Smart Guy.
- Harshal.- Also known as Harsh. Tall and handsome, a very skillfull and experienced eskrima practicioner, a determinator who never loses his cool (being the only competent member of the team) and also a completely careless and apathetic guy. Half the time he serves as a reluctant mediator between Velan and Rune, the other half he doesn´t give a damn about it. Nobody knows why he follows and aids Rune and Velan, not even himself. He serves as The Big Guy of the team and, due to his prowess, a second hero. His power is Apathy.
Tropes found on this work:
- Adjective Noun Fred
- Asskicking Equals Authority:Sarlas
- Attention Deficit... Ooh, Shiny!: Murti
- Badass: Harshal, any time he decides he cares about something.
- Becoming the Mask: Happens to Murti, multiple times:
- Played straight the first time, after handing Rune, Velan and Harsh to Sarlas, Murti decides she likes Rune better and betrays her master.
- Played from laughs the following times each time Murti impersonates someone he ends up beleiving he is that person, even when that means hurting his comrades
- Later played for drama, while impersonating the missing princess Valli, Murti starts caring for her people at the point of putting her comrades in danger and, in the end, stops Lord Kiri from usurping the kratika throne.
- Big Bad: Sarlas
- The Bumbleebe: Murti
- Chronic Backstabbing Disorder: Mulgan, hell he would sell his own mother, and cheap.
- Complete Monster: Sarlas and later Lord Lotus
- Chaste Hero: Rune.
- Darkest Hour: The climax of the Egg Hunting storyline: Lord Lotus shows his true colors and steals not only the remaining relics, but the temple key and treassure map as well, the relics turn out to be the keys to a weapon of mass destruction, Rune is left to die alone in the desert severily wounded and with both arms broken, his depowered friends are held prisioner and hell will be unleashed on earth
- Deadpan Snarker: Harsh, Numbi (post-retool)
- Different for Girls: The main theme of the Quest Ressumed
- The Ditz: Murti near her debut.
- Dude Looks Like a Lady: Velan to his chagrin.
- Failure Is the Only Option: No matter how hard they try, each time it seems the main characters are going to find the Treassure, they get another plot coupon instead. No matter how hard they kick Sarlas' ass, they never get to do it for good, and when they do and finally reunite with Murti the Egg Hunting Plot Tumor kicks in, and after they resolve that Sarlas comes back from the Grave.
- First Law of Gender Bending: A very serious offender:Amshula and Saavi don't even try to reverse it, Post-retool Rune unsuccesfully tries many different things before learning it's impossible given her new position and Mulgan has the following exchange when they find the Treassure of Namra Kirana
Spirit: And what about you two? what is your wish?.
Numbi: I don't want to be short and cute, I want to be tall and manly all the time.
Mulgan:I wish to be comfortable being a girl.
Spirit: Very well, granted.\
Numbi: Why didn't you wish to be a man again?.
Mulgan:Oh damn!!I totally forgot I could!!.
- Gender Bender: Murti who easily shifts genders.Amshula and Saavi during the Egg Hunting storyline, Rune after the Egg Hunting storyline, and Mulgan during Final Quest
- Gone Horribly Right: Princess Valli's mean of escape was meant so nobody could find her, it turns out not even herself can
- Good Is Dumb: After joinning the group, this time for real, Murti goes from being naive with a small attention defficit yet reliable and competent to a full fledged Cloud Cuckolander with cero attention span.
- Go Seduce My Archnemesis: The reasson Sarlas planted Murti on the heroes team.
- Grand Finale
- Handsome Lech: Mulgan
- Jerkass: Mulgan
- Last Minute Hookup: Rune and Nash, also Numbi and Mulgan
- Malignant Plot Tumor: The Egg hunting storyline, not only it distracts the main characters from their quest, but also replaces the big bad, derails the plot into a fight to save the world, breaks the status quo beyond repair and is followed by a massive Re Tool, even when the main plot gets to move again and the original Big Bad comes back, it's sequels are lasting.
- Meaningful Name: Inverted, even though "Harsh" is a good descriptive of Harsh character, his full name "Harshal" means "Joyfull"
- Played straight with Murti as "murti" is Hindi for "shape"
- Messiah Creep: Rune
- The Mole: Murti, bonus points because he is a literal mole part time
- Mook-Face Turn: Murti
- One-Winged Angel: Lord Lotus after his return from the Assat.
- Plot Coupon: Many, the treassure map, the cave key, the shrine markings and the 52 egg relics.
- Pronoun Trouble: Since Murti can be of any gender at any time (and technically has no true gender), the other characters can't make a consensus on how to refer to him/her. Rune uses whatever is more suitable for his/her current form and when in doubt uses female pronouns, Velan uses male ones unless the situation calls for the opposite, Harsh uses pronouns at random and Sarlas alternates between female forms and "it".
- Replacement Scrappy: In universe example, Rune feels this way towards the bodyguards, specially Mulgan.
- Re Tool: After the Egg hunting storyline, since it is impossible to put the band together without destroying character development a new band is assembled to aid Rune on the quest. The old characters are still around though.
- The Reveal: Many of them, in order:
- Murti is The Mole and a servant of Sarlas
- Murti didn't became the mask when impersonating princess Valli, she is princess Valli
- Velan is not going to turn into a girl, it has already happened.
- Lord Lotus never had all the 52 relics, he used Rune and his friends to collect them, oh and they are cosmic keystones that can unleash the Assath on earth
- Rune can't get back to her old form and powers, because she has become the embodiment of the Sat
- Shapeshifter: Murti.
- Shapeshifter Default Form: Whenever hurt or when loosing conscience Murti reverts to one out of five forms: a nightingale, a mole, a cute fluffy dragon, a young (and slutty) woman and a ten year old boy, this causes issues as as no one even him/her knows which one (if any) is his/her true form.
- Second Law of Gender Bending
- Sixth Ranger: Murti
- Sixth Ranger Traitor: Murti.
- Tag Along Kid: Murti after his Mook-Face Turn
- Team Pet: Murti on her Rakumari draggon, mole and nightingale forms.
- Token Evil Teammate: Mulgan
- Took a Level in Badass: Nesh, during the Final Quest storyline
- Third Law of Gender Bending
- The Woobie: Rune, specially during Final Quest