Characters / Tales of Flame
A list of the many, many characters of Tales of Flame
. Still heavily under construction
The main protagonist, a bitter and sarcastic Charmander caught in Viridian Forest. Not the most social of people, he prefers to be left to his own devices, but will still help out any allies in a scrap.
- Anti-Hero: Varies from a Type II to a Type VI
- Big Eater: He certainly has his moments.
- Cluster F-Bomb: Dropped with gusto whenever a fight turns sour.
- Combat Pragmatist: Is more than happy to fight dirty if he has to.
- Determinator: The sheer amount of punishment he can take before going down and staying down is insane.
- Fire-Breathing Diner: Those innocent looking Cheri berries? He calls them Boom Berries. There is a good reason for that.
- Good Old Fisticuffs: His first solution to any problem is using Metal Claw to pound its face in.
- Playing with Fire: Fire is pretty much his second response to any problem.
- Running Gag: Throwing apples in people's faces to blind them (Apple Attack), falling out of trees, the middle claw salute and biting Moron's ankles - to name a few.
- Soul Power: Gained ghost powers along with Fervo during the Sevii arc; although Flame tends to use it more as a desperation attack.
- Trademark Favorite Food: Apples.
- Why Did It Have to Be Snakes?: Terrified of snakes ever since one attacked him as a kit. Develops a hatred of Psychics over the course of the story.
Moron's starter Pokemon, a generally friendly Squirtle/Wartortle who tries to keep the others on the straight and narrow. Has been the second POV narrator since Vermillion.
- Accidental Misnaming:
- Protested being called Squirt when Flame first started using it, but eventually gave up and the nickname stuck even after evolving.
- Possibly deliberate on his part, Squirt is certainly a better alternative than Wart.
- Barrier Warrior: Uses Protect to compensate for his lesser firepower.
- Making a Splash: His main means of attack. Recently gained ice abilities as well.
- Mr. Exposition: Being raised by Humans, it usually falls down to Squirt to explain things to the clueless Flame and Fervo.
- Out of Focus: Get's a lot less screen time than the rest of the main characters.
- The Lancer: Served as this until Fervo came along; now the two share the roll.
- Wholesome Crossdresser: Conned into doing this on multiple occasions.
Moron's third Pokemon. Joined after being rescued from Team Rocket; prone to talking in the third person and being badass.
Moron's fourth Pokemon, one of two Eevee siblings that Flame effectively adopted after finding their mother who had died protecting them from a Persian attack. Now an Umbreon and generally happy-go-lucky, much to annoyance of his sister Spiral, but heaven help you if you do make him angry.
Moron's fifth Pokemon and the third POV narrator, joining the group after being escaping from a group of Ax-Crazy
cultists along with Flame, Tate, Cray and Roco. Always ready with a sarcastic remark and very prone to commenting on some of the crazier things that happen.
- Amusing Injuries: Gets these frequently, when he isn't taking the not-amusing kind of beatings.
- Bi the Way: Is fine with admiring either Pika or Squirt's tail. Or anyone elses at that.
- Determinator: Equals Flame and Scyther in the sheer amount of punishment he can take before staying down.
- Deadpan Snarker: Oddly enough, even Fervo himself is a target of his snarky remarks when he's narrating.
- Large Ham: Becomes spectacularly hammy whenever he's showing off.
- Life Drain: Uses Absorb and Mega Drain
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: Seems to have made it his life goal to annoy Pika and Squirt as much as possible but will usually to the right thing when someone is in trouble or upset.
- Mushroom Samba: Combined with massive amounts of Ship Tease when he was put on painkillers after an attack. Resulted in a BSOD and spawning the Treechu Running Gag
- Ship Tease: Mainly with Pika and Cray. Occasionally Squirt and Flame too.
- Soul Power: Shadow Ball is pretty much his signature move.
The Human who caught Flame and was promptly nicknamed Moron. Real name unknown. Not the brightest of kids but generally means well and can come up with some genuinely impressive plans.
- Badass Normal: Perfectly normal Human. Who has taken out a Kadabra with a chair.
- No Name Given: Squirt's made it quite clear that he knows what it is, but no one else seems to care. Even Scyther calls him Moron.
- Rummage Sale Reject: Regularly commented on is that his clothes make him look like a Christmas tree.
A Pikachu that was with Joanne when they first started travelling with Flame & Co. While quick to resort to violence, she still tries to keep the others out of trouble.
- Broken Bird: She eventually breaks down in Saffron, having a Cry Cute moment, before Fervo manages to snap her out of it.
- Game-Breaking Injury: Was mauled by the Persian at the start of the second Cerulean arc; severely damaging her electrical sacks and leaving her unable to recharge naturally and limiting how many Thunderbolts she can throw around.
- Shock and Awe
- Tsundere: Grade A. Her main target was Flame, but has largely switched to Fervo.
A Pidgey that Flame beats at the start of the story, they meet again a little later to fight a Nido gang. Joined the team properly during Mt Moon.
A Totodile that, along with Fervo, was being used as slave labour during the Rock Tunnel arc after being separated from his original trainer. Functions as the level-headed leader of Joanne's group.
A Nidoran/Nidorina that was with Tate and Fervo during the Rock Tunnel arc.
- Bad Powers, Good People: Rarely uses her poison abilities for this very reason.
- Rolling Attack: Rollout which, combined with her spines, effectively turns her into a buzzsaw/Battering Ram.
- Plucky Girl: Was regularly beaten by the Shadowstone Cult for being a poison type, doesn't let it bother her in the slightest.
- The Big Guy: Physically the strongest of Joanne's group, able to throw around a fighting type with ease just moments after evolving.
A Zigzagoon that Fervo was looking after during the Rock Tunnel arc. Inquisitive by nature, he tends to find things that others would have missed. And can always be counted on to know where to get some Cheri Berries.
A teenage girl Moron befriended after a Pokemon battle and the two have travelled together ever since. Friendly and a lot more careful than Moron, she's one of very few humans that Flame admits to liking.
- Break the Cutie: Witnessing almost all her Pokemon getting beaten and hospitalised in a brutal No-Holds-Barred Beatdown while she could do nothing but watch left her a crying, unsure mess.
- Deadpan Snarker: Always, always comments whenever Moron does something reckless or stupid.
A Vulpix Flame encountered during Mt Moon after being captured by Team Rocket. When they were trapped in a cave in during their escape attempt, Alpha managed to evolve and was able to blast a way free using a very, very powerful Hyper Beam.
Alpha's second in command, a living supercomputer that masterminded the escape from Mt Moon and proves very helpful in Alpha's fight against Team Rocket
- The Smart Guy: Comes with being a living supercomputer.
- The Stoic: Was originally completely emotionless, has since been upgraded and gained them.