open/close all folders
Lisa WilliamsThe main protagonist of Sunstone and its primary narrator. She plays the "sub" in her and Ally's relationship, and initially met her face-to-face after months of interaction via the Internet to meet those desires. What follows is a blossoming romance between the two, which she is seen chronicling post-Time Skip.
- Aggressive Submissive: Outside the bedroom, Lisa tends to be the more active one in her and Ally's relationship. Inside, she is a complete sub.
- Character Tic: Her lip-biting has become fairly iconic amongst the fans.
- Clingy Jealous Girl: Not immediately obvious, her anger at her brothers hitting on Ally have a lot of reasons beside jealousy, but once she introduces Anne to Ally, Lisa begins to regret the decision and it very nearly drives her and Ally apart near the end of Chapter 4.
- Friends with Benefits: Started out as this to Ally.
- Heroic Self-Deprecation: Narrator Lisa is quick to call Story Lisa an idiot, particularly when calling Story Lisa out on being mean to Valerie for petty reasons, I.E. she's blond.
- Hidden Depths: Despite being a complete sub in the bedroom, Lisa everywhere else is a confident, level-headed and assertive person, which leads to...
- Fiery Redhead: She can get pretty emotionally excited, though this does lead to Foot-in-Mouth disease. And you DON'T want to mess with her when she gets angry!
- Iconic Outfit: She has two: a red and black latex corset/gloves/leggings combo is quite common but what may be her true signature is the red/black breast-exposing straitjacket that Ally had custom made just for her.
- Knuckle Cracking: Lisa's habit of cracking her knuckles and her neck is one of the few things about her that annoy the crap out of Ally.
- Most Writers Are Writers: She's a budding writer and narrating her life's story.
- No Sense of Personal Space: While all the characters have a habit of being very touchy and close, Lisa is by far the worst offender. It even gets brought up occasionally like when Valerie thought Cassie was Lisa's girlfriend or when Ally thought Lisa wanted an intimate relationship with Anne as well.
- Raised by Dudes: The only girl among two brothers.
- Unreliable Narrator: Is called out on this by Ally and even admits this herself.
Allison 'Ally' CarterLisa's best friend/lover and the secondary protagonist of Sunstone. She works as a software programmer during the day and displays geeky tendencies, which contrasts sharply with her "domme" persona in her and Lisa's relationship. Over time, she too starts realizing her attraction towards Lisa.
- Adorkable: Especially her Out of Character moments during sex when she becomes nervous or geeks out over pierced nipples. And when she gets excited, she can be utterly adorable.
- Affectionate Nickname: "Allycat," which is actually her forum screen name.
- Berserk Button: Needing on a drop that Ally's got her eye on when she's MMOing is a good way to get her pissed enough to challenge you to Cluster F-Bomb-laden PVP.
- Brains and Bondage: Highly intelligent programmer? Check. Sexy Spectacles? Check. Crazy amount of BDSM gear? CHECK.
- Friends with Benefits: Started out as this to Lisa.
- Gamer Chick: Given her job, it's to be expected.
- Heavy Sleeper: Her snoring could wake the dead.
- Hidden Depths: Ally, at first, seems like a confident and successful person, but it becomes clear that she is terribly lonely and has some regrets she can't manage to overcome.
- Hime Cut: Stumbled onto this by chance, and was key to unlocking her Domme Look.
- My Greatest Failure: Ally regards what happened with Marion as this. She blames herself for showing Marion "too much, too fast" during Harper's class on Shibari, and the following development of the obsession that ultimately led Marion to tie herself to Alan's bed. It especially hurt for her because she had to physically restrain Marion from trying to undo the ropes around her clotted wrists for the sake of her safety, even when Marion, in agonized desperation, started using her safeword in a panicked bid to get Ally to let her go. The traumatic experience led to an aversion to using ropes that Ally eventually overcomes.
- One of Us: On top of being a Gamer Chick she's also a Whovian, the bed in her own room has a T.A.R.D.I.S duvet cover and at one point she scares Lisa while out shopping by donning a gas mask and asking "Are you my mommy"?
- Safe Word: Ally's safeword, which she gives to her subs, is "sunstone."
- Sexy Spectacles: Ally wears a pair of these when in her domme persona.
- Where Does She Get All Those Wonderful Toys?: Ally has a staggeringly impressive collection of toys, including an entire wardrobe of custom-made outfits for both of her subs and herself, cuffs, chains, restraints and suspension rigs, a custom-made mermaid outfit, the infamous "see-saw," a made-to-order bed just for sex and, last but certainly not least, an actual chariot. We are shown that Alan and Chris make a living out of making these things for people and that Ally is really quite well-off, but Word of God states that Ally has spent forty grand on this collection. Lampshaded somewhat in a strip:Lisa: Okay, I tried avoiding this question...but, yeah...How much did you spend on all this stuff?Ally: Yeahhh...um, quite a bit...so...really...don't ask.
- Collecting BDSM equipment and outfits turns out to be Ally's only recreational spending outlet, and she spent so much on this stuff that Alan had to intervene and refuse to sell her any more (at least until Lisa arrived and the two of them started putting these numerous outfits to use).
Alan BensonAlly's ex-boyfriend turned best friend. He designs BDSM gear and paraphernalia for clubs and clients, and is Ally's primary supplier. Oh yeah—he's also a quite skilled dominant, comparable to Ally herself.
- Amicable Exes / Better as Friends: He and Ally.
- Badass Beard: Rocks that goatee like nobody's business.
- Deadpan Snarker: Stands out particularly in a World of Snark.
- Dude Looks Like a Lady: Or at least according to Anne.
- I'll Be in My Bunk: Becomes inevitable when he's dealing with his friends' sexual encounters.
- Impossibly Cool Clothes: Is responsible for practically all of Ally's BDSM wardrobe.
- Mistaken for Gay: Played for Drama. Back in college, a couple of Jerkass peers got it into their head that Alan was gay and they messed with him any chance they got. Things escalated when Alan's sketchbook full of BDSM artwork was stolen, and its drawings were photocopied and posted all over the campus, which got Alan in trouble with the school authorities. It took significant effort from Ally for him to trust anybody after that.
- Platonic Life Partners: With Ally.
- Safe Word: Alan's safeword is a three-note hum that can be used through a gag, though his safeword back when he was with Marion was "mercy."
- Unspoken Plan Guarantee: Despite being one of the wittiest characters in the series, if he has time to stop and think about a wisecrack it's never particularly funny.
AnneA tattoo artist and long-time friend of Cassie whose curiosity about BDSM leads her headfirst into Lisa and Ally's alternative lifestyle.
- Bi the Way: Despite stating in-current-universe that she doesn't swing that way, she is shown to be attracted to Lisa and a future strip shows her married to Alan.
- Closet Key: Is the catalyst that causes Ally and Lisa to admit their feelings for each other.
- Hair of Gold, Heart of Gold: Despite being a tattoo artist, she is relatively innocent and naive compared to the rest of the cast.
- Head-Tiltingly Kinky: Her initial reaction to BDSM, which only gets her more curious.
- Kaleidoscope Hair: Has had both black AND brown hair in the past, in addition to blonde!
- Naïve Newcomer: To the world of BDSM.
- Platonic Life Partners: With Cassie, though the two sometimes flirt with each other, neither one notices until it's brought to their attention.
- Unwitting Instigator of Doom: As she becomes friendly with Lisa and Ally, the two are forced to deal with emotions they have been denying for a long time.
CassieChris' sister and Anne's best friend and a fellow BDSM fan. Happily Married to Tom.
- Afraid of Needles: Ever since the time she got her shots as a kid, Cassie has never liked needles.
- Deadpan Snarker: One of the bigger ones in the series.
- Happily Married: To Tom.
- Hello, Attorney!: Her day job.
- The Matchmaker: Is always trying to set Alan up with her friends, much to his annoyance.
- Platonic Life Partners: With Anne, though the two sometimes flirt with each other, neither one notices until it's brought to their attention.
- Shipper on Deck: She is the most vocal about Ally and Lisa's relationship being more than friendship.
- Snark-to-Snark Combat: Happily engages in this with Tom, and anyone else willing to do it.
- Vitriolic Best Buds: Seems to have this relationship with everyone she knows, including her husband and people she just met.
ChrisAlan's work colleague and Cassie's brother; notably not at all interested in BDSM.
- Muggle: One of the few recurring characters not into BDSM.
- Unfazed Everyman: Takes everything that happens at the club with an almost bored expression.
TomCassie's husband, a metalhead and a quite talented snarker.
- Affectionate Nickname: Anne calls him "Metalboy."
- Bad Liar: As much as he would try to claim he does, Tom has no poker face and, as Alan bluntly points out, he "can't lie for shit."
- Deadpan Snarker: Right up there with Cassie.
- Happily Married: To Cassie.
- Snark-to-Snark Combat: Tom and Cassie engage in quite a bit of this.
Harper ThomasThe owner of the BDSM club that the cast frequents.
Tanya WilkinsHarper's girlfriend and accountant.
MarionAn ex-girlfriend of Alan who had a bad experience with BDSM which continues to haunt Ally.
- Body Horror: Played in disturbingly realistic fashion when we're shown the dangers of careless rope work. Marion uses the wrong sort of knots on her wrists combined with improper positioning of the ropes on the bed out of obsession with trying to prove Alan wrong about 24/7 submission (which Alan isn't into for a variety of reasons, chiefest among them being that it is highly stressful for the dom), and finds herself trapped and alone while the blood circulation to her hands is cut off. Her hands go lifeless and visibly dark grey in color. It gets worse when we're told this had caused blood clots and Marion could have lost her hands, if not her life.
- Idiot Ball: Keen to convince Alan to try 24/7 dominance and submission, Marion did something everyone (including herself) agrees was stupid; unfortunately for Marion, she realized this only at the moment she slipped the knots about her wrists tight without a way to undo them.
- Love Makes You Dumb: This hit Marion hard; being new to the type of relationship she was sharing with Alan caused her to discard her better judgement in favor of doing everything she could to take things further, leading to a very bad situation.
- Multicolored Hair: Black on one side, white on the other.
- Skunk Stripe: When she's first introduced it's mentioned her hair has a natural large white patch which caused Marion to decide to dye her hair.