open/close all folders
BezalielBezaliel holds the dubious honor of being possibly the most psychologically traumatized as well as the most physically attractive.
Tropes that apply to Bezaliel
- Angelic Beauty: Dude Looks Like a Lady, too.
- Beta Couple: Him and Veronica—disturbingly, they make quite a match for each other.
- The Cavalry: He performs a song that calls all remaining Downworlders and Nephilim to Alicante to help the Resistance during the final battle.
- Curtains Match The Windows
- Disappeared Dad: To Nicholas, through no fault of his own.
- The Empath: His defining characteristic: before descending to Earth, he was the Angel of Empathy. Bezaliel is unusual in being a male example of this trope.
- I Am Legion: The more Bezaliel spins out, the weaker his hold on his identity gets:
- Go away, we didn't do anything—
- And if he's really in the middle of a breakdown, will stop using pronouns entirely:
- —don't know you, don't know anything—
- Masculine Girl, Feminine Boy: The Feminine Boy to Veronica's Masculine Girl.
- Nervous Wreck: Let's put it this way: it's unusual to see him not twitching like a squirrel on speed.
- Shell-Shocked Veteran: Only survivor of completely unnecessary fallen-angel genocide.
"Nicholas"/NaouthaNicholas, who prefers to be called by his Etzel-bestowed human name, is the sweetest, most stereotypically angelic angel in the cast.
Tropes that apply to Nicholas
- Badass Adorable: A non-child version.
- Bishōnen Not as pretty as his daddy, but still classically androgynous. And technically more of a biseinen, since at physically early twenties he's a little older than the bishounen cutoff point.
- Comically Missing the Point: Nicholas is past master at doing this (unintentionally, of course), especially when it comes to anything involving sex.
- Crouching Moron, Hidden Badass: Not many people took notice of Nicholas after he was found, because then angels started popping up all over the place. Then Lilith's army attacked, and he obliterated half of it in one blow.
- Elemental Powers: Several, some overlapping. Nicholas is naturally good at Playing with Fire, although his assigned position in Heaven gives him the ability to Blow You Away with Wind From Beneath His Wings. He also can generate blinding light as a side effect of using.
- Healing Hands: Oddly enough, he discovered this power long before his own self-Healing Factor.
- "Hell, Yes!" Moment: Not long after his introduction, Nicholas takes out a horde of demons with a dragon-shaped blast of superheated wind and debris. After insisting he's no good at fighting.
- Official Couple: With Umbra.
- Slept Through the Apocalypse
- Sparkling Stream of Tears
PurielField Marshal of Heaven's army, Puriel is likely the eldest of all the angels who have yet appeared in Shadowhunter Peril. This isn't immediately apparent, however, because he's the heavenly equivalent of Ciel Phantomhive.
Tropes that apply to Puriel:
- Arch-Enemy: With Oblivion.
- Authority Equals Asskicking: And apparently near-indestructibility.
- Berserk Button: Do NOT mention Lucifer in his presence.
- Blood Knight
- Cute Bruiser: Could also be considered Badass Adorable.
- Defrosting Iceking: He's getting there.
- Fiery Redhead
- If You Kill Him, You Will Be Just Like Him: With Oblivion. Oblivion himself taunts Puriel with this, but Puriel silences him by ripping out his heart.
- Immortal Immaturity: Puriel is obnoxious, short-tempered and has a hard time believing that the views of anyone except himself matter.
- Leeroy Jenkins: Shows signs of this when he's fired up.
- More Expendable Than You: Puriel was on the receiving end of this—Oblivion had poisoned him with dark energy and Ethan decided to take the burden instead, because Puriel was an angel and therefore more powerful than him, he was more valuable to the Resistance.
- No Social Skills
- Older Than They Look: Vastly.
- Perpetual Frowner
- Pintsized Powerhouse
NurielA Principality angel who is just a shade younger than Puriel, although you wouldn't be able to tell it by watching the two of them interact with each other.
Tropes that apply to Nuriel
- An Ice Person: He IS the angel of hailstorms.
- Batman Gambit: He sacrificed himself in the hopes that his death would spark a rage in Puriel strong enough to defeat Oblivion. He was right.
- Heroic Sacrifice
- Impaled with Extreme Prejudice
- Long-Haired Pretty Boy
- More Expendable Than You: The reason for taking the spear for Puriel.
- Older Than They Look: Nuriel's face is described as ageless, but but he's still easily much older than any human could ever live to be.
- Only Sane Man: If Dieter isn't around.
- Red Oni, Blue Oni: The Blue Oni to Puriel's Red.
- Taking the Bullet: He lunged in front of a spear that was about to hit Puriel, thrown by Oblivion.
VerchielAn angel of the Powers like Puriel, although at a lower rank, Verchiel is one of the few people Puriel can genuinely call his friend.Due to Verchiel being a new character, his character hasn't been revealed as much.
Tropes that apply to Verchiel
- Bearer of Bad News: He joins the cast by being sent down from Heaven to tell everyone that the archangels are pissed at them.
- Blood Knight
- Fiery Redhead
- Flaming Sword
- Early-Bird Cameo
- No Social Skills
- Warrior Poet: Has a fascination and love for human poetry that both confuses and irriates Puriel.
- Virtirolic Best Buds: With Puriel.
MichaelThe Archangel Michael, who is only seen once in a flashback, is the one responsible for killing Sammael when Umbra was a child and sparking Lilith's hate for all living things. He is alluded to several times throughout the story.
Tropes that apply to Michael
- Creepy Good: He has a golden eye in every single feather on his wings. It's hinted that the other archangels have similar appearances.
- Hear Of Gold
- Just Following Orders: How he tries to justify his execution of Sammael.
- Nice Job Breaking It, Hero!: If Michael had never descended at the behest of God to slay Sammael, Lilith would probably have never created demons in the first place and the world would have been changed drastically—for the better.
- Power Tattoo: Has glowing blue sigils over every single inch of his body.
- The Stoic
GabrielThe Archangel Gabriel who, like Michael, is never seen in person. He is alluded to several times as well, and is responsible for creating the Soul Chalice.
Tropes that apply to Gabriel
SammaelThe fallen Angel who mated with Lilith and sired Asmodeus, Sammael remained her lover for a brief time before being killed by Michael.
Tropes that apply to Sammael
- Above Good and Evil: Word of God says this is how he considered himself.
- Face Death with Dignity: He refused to kneel before Michael before being beheaded.
- Posthumous Character
DokielAn angel from Heaven who was Puriel partner's in judging the souls who entered Heaven. Little is known about him except for the fact that Puriel dislikes him immensely because of his polar opposite personality.
Tropes that apply to Dokiel
ArthurA Fallen Angel who broke Umbra out of Hell when Umbra died for the first time in the story.
Tropes that apply to Arthur
- Disability Superpower: His blindness gives him an edge over many characters.
- What Happened to the Mouse?: He disappeared after rescuinig Umbra and hasn't been seen since.
MoraxA Fallen Angel bound to Bug, set to appear in the next arc. Not much is known about him at this time.
Tropes that apply to Morax
Angel of AnarchyThe final form of Valentine after he goes One-Winged Angel, the Angel of Anarchy is still Valentine, but the two are also so vastly different that Valentine's angel form gets its own section.
Tropes applying to the Angel of Anarchy
- A God Am I
- Badass Boast: "YES! HEAVEN! DO YOU HEAR ME? TREMBLE, FOR YOUR SATAN IS COMING!"
- Physical God
- Playing with Fire
- Blow You Away
- Light 'em Up
- Casting a Shadow
- Hand Blast
- Having a Blast
- Power of the Storm
- Sonic Scream
- Sealed Evil in a Can: His eventual fate.
- The End of the World as We Know It: Attempts a Class 6 on Heaven.
- Voice of the Legion