Characters: Kaze to Ki no Uta
The character sheet for the classic Boys Love / shojo manga Kaze to Ki no Uta.Please be aware that will obviously be SPOILERS for the entire series. And be warned that since readers/watchers have little familiarity with the series and scanlations are only in the first half of the manga, and readers who haven't read the manga in its entirety, it's best not to look at the spoilers in this character sheet.
Patricia "Pat" Biquet
Voiced by Noriko Ohara
- The Ace
- Broken Ace: After Gilbert's death.
- Adorably Precocious Child: When he's younger.
- Beware the Nice Ones
- Bi the Way: Assuming his feelings for Gilbert aren't a case of If It's You, It's Okay, anyway.
- Blue Blood: On his father's side.
- Chick Magnet
- Dark-Skinned Redhead: In some of the artwork from the later volumes (he's actually a brunet).
- Dull Eyes of Unhappiness: Most notably following Gilbert's death, but he has them on couple of occasions before then as well.
- Gentleman and a Scholar
- Hair-Trigger Temper
- Heartwarming Orphan
- Informed Attribute: Descriptions of his colouring are often at odds with his colour pictures and anime appearance. Early in the manga he is described as having black hair, 'the same grey eyes as his father' and dark skin (which is actually noted numerous times in the story), yet most of the artwork makes him brown-haired, brown-eyed and lightly tanned at most (see the picture on the main page for example). The anime and later artwork get the dark skin, but keep the brown hair and eyes.
- Lonely Rich Kid
- Naïve Newcomer
- New Transfer Student
- Nice Guy: Most of the time.
- Romani: On his mother's side, as he has dark skin.
- Slap-Slap-Kiss: With Gilbert.
- Son of a Whore
- Spell My Name with an "S": His surname has been given a ton of different transliterations. Battour, Battouille, Bateaure... the list goes on.
- Stepford Smiler: Has shades of this. He's every bit as sweet and friendly as he appears to be, but there is more to him than he lets on.
Voiced by Yuko Sasaki
- All Gays Are Promiscuous: This one is, at least.
- All of the Other Reindeer: Pretty much everyone in Laconblade Acedemy hates him.
- Bishōnen: So very much.
- Break the Cutie
- Closet Key: For Serge.
- Conditioned to Accept Horror
- Dark and Troubled Past: His life has sucked since literally the day he was born (his mother tried to kill him as an infant). Not that his present is much better.
- Death by Sex
- Defrosting Ice King
- Driven to Suicide: Makes a few attempts at this, though none are successful. It speaks volumes that he first tried to drown himself when he was nine.
- Drugs Are Bad
- Dull Eyes of Unhappiness: Has these a few times, particularly in volume 15.
- Expository Hairstyle Change: A few. The first was when his previously straight-cut bangs grew into the more familiar asymmetrical style (which, inexplicably, happened halfway through a party), the second was when Auguste cut it short before sending him Off to Boarding School (but notably leaving the bangs intact), and the third was when he grew it out around volume 15.
- Face of an Angel, Mind of a Demon: Frequently lampshaded..
- Friend to All Living Things: He was definitely one of these as a young child.
- Good Eyes, Evil Eyes: His eyes remain large and wide throughout his life, although during his childhood they became rather harsher, more angular and, bizarrely, square with his increasing jadedness and jerkass tendencies.
- Green Eyes: Rather striking ones.
- Lonely Rich Kid
- Loners Are Freaks: The boys at Laconblade all find him fascinating, but not in a good way.
- Gilbert, Auguste is your father.
- Manipulative Bastard
- Misunderstood Loner with a Heart of Gold: Gilbert had only Auguste as a companion his entire life before he gets dumped off at Laconblade, so given the childhood he had, his only real way of connecting with people that he understands is with sex. Otherwise, he purposely avoids other students, and in turn, they either completely ignore him or bully him.
- Named After Somebody Famous: Jean Cocteau.
- Rape as Backstory: Oh, dear... long story short, poor Gilbert originally got raped when he was just nine years old - first by the paedophile Bonnard, and then by Auguste (who had some twisted motivations, to say the least) not long after that. It's a very big part of what left the kid so messed up.
- Really Gets Around
- Sex for Services: One of the reasons he hasn't flunked out of school is because he sleeps with classmates in exchange for papers... or just goes straight to the teachers.
- Sex for Solace
- Slap-Slap-Kiss: With Serge.
- Sour Outside, Sad Inside
- Too Kinky to Torture: For the most part.
- Trauma Conga Line: Gilbert's life really, really sucks.
- Troubling Unchildlike Behaviour
- Used to Be a Sweet Kid: Arguably still is, on some level.
- Yandere: He's pretty possessive of Auguste.
Voiced by Kaneto Shiozawa
- Abusive Parents: Is one to Gilbert. And while his own adoptive parents were not quite actively abusive, they do appear to have wilfully overlooked the abuse he suffered at the hands of his brother.
- The Chessmaster
- Dark and Troubled Past / Freudian Excuse
- Evil Cannot Comprehend Good: Arguably a large part of his motivation.
- Evil Uncle: Well...
- Good Eyes, Evil Eyes: His eyes are very narrow and evil-looking.
- Good Scars, Evil Scars: The burn on his torso, which was the other result of his affair with Anne-Marie.
- The Hedonist: Doesn’t live by this philosophy himself, but strives to instill it in Gilbert.
- In-Series Nickname: Gilbert calls him "Augu", and the man himself later encourages Serge to use the nickname as well (which, needless to say, doesn't sit well with Gilbert).
- Kick the Dog: Just about everything he does, and then some.
- Manipulative Bastard: And how.
- Parental Incest: Is Gilbert's father. Even after revealing this fact to him, he continues to sexually abuse Gilbert until the boy eventually escapes Lacombrade with Serge.
- Sex Is Evil and I Am Horny
- Troubled Abuser: He was sexually abused by his brother when he was young, not that it excuses much of what he does.
- Villainous Incest
- Yandere: Even more so than Gilbert.
Arion "The White Prince" Rosemariné
Voiced by Yoshiko Sakakibara
- A Taste of the Lash: He's rather fond of those canes and riding crops; according to Takemiya's side notes, he owns seventeen different whips!
- Aristocrats Are Evil / Ambition Is Evil / Blond Guys Are Evil: You get the point. Subverted later on.
- Broken Ace
- Defrosting Ice Queen / Heel-Face Turn: Becomes a lot more sympathetic as we start seeing his more vulnerable side, and he befriends Serge after a certain point. He eventually proves to be one of Serge and Gilbert's greatest allies, aiding their escape from Lacombrade when virtually the entire school turns against the pair.
- The Dragon: Serves as Auguste's eyes and ears in the school, partly out of fear and partly out of self-interest.
- Gentleman Snarker
- Hates Being Touched: The only person he doesn't mind being touched by is Jules and Serge, later on.
- Jerkass: Especially towards Gilbert.
- Long-Haired Pretty Boy
- Manipulative Bastard
- Ojou Ringlets: Yes, even though he's male.
- Paralyzing Fear of Sexuality
- Purple Eyes: Super-sparkly and completely purple in the OVA (seriously, the guy has no sclerae). Despite dialogue in the epilogue confirming that they're purple in the manga as well, he appears on a single manga cover with eyes that appear to be green.
- Rape as Backstory: Specifically, he was raped by Auguste a few years before the story begins.
- Single-Issue Psychology: Just about all his issues can be traced back to a single event in his past. (See above.)
- Spell My Name with an "S": Is his first name Arion, Aryon or Ariona, and should his surname be Rosemariné (accent or no), Rosmariné (ditto), Rosemarinay...?
- Spoiled Brat: As a child.
- Student Council President: His actual title is Student Superintendent, but either way, he's pretty much an entire Absurdly Powerful Student Council in and of himself.
- Wine Is Classy
- Brilliant but Lazy
- Held Back In School: By three years! He finally moves up a grade in volume 12.
- Meganekko: Male version.
- Nerd Glasses
- Perma Stubble: Possibly to emphasize that he's a few years older than his classmates.
- Odd Friendship: With Karl.
- Red Oni, Blue Oni: Red.
- Shipper on Deck: He seems quite fond of the idea of Serge/Patricia, thus inverting My Sister Is Off-Limits!.
- Spell My Name with an "S": His first name has been spelt as Pascale (which is actually a girls' name, funnily enough) while his surname has been romanised as Biket.
- Teen Genius: Borders between this and Mad Scientist.
Patricia "Pat" Biquet
- Beautiful All Along: Although not only was she not really that bad-looking to begin with, but Pascal insists that she was plenty beautiful enough already.
- Expository Hairstyle Change: Has bobbed hair in her first appearance; it grows out later.
- Meganekko: In her first appearance.
- Ojou Ringlets: Sometimes has these when she dresses up.
- Romantic Runner-Up
- Tomboy and Girly Girl: Seems to be viewed by her family (particularly Pascal) as the tomboy to older sister May.
Voiced by Tsutomu Kashiwakura
- Class Representative: Well, Student Director, but it amounts to the same thing.
- Gayngst: He struggles with his attraction to Gilbert in the early volumes.
- Odd Friendship: With Pascal.
- Red Oni, Blue Oni: Blue.
- Spell My Name with an "S": Is it Karl or Carl? Meanwhile, his surname has been spelt as Meiser, Mise, and Misset.
- Adorably Precocious Child
- Demoted to Extra: He only showed up twice in the OVA and didn't get to do much.
- Sibling Yin-Yang: Unlike his big brother, he's very bold and outgoing. Karl himself notes that the two were raised very differently.
- Spell My Name with an "S": Sebastien or Sebastian? He also has the same surname trouble as Karl.
- Tagalong Kid
Jules de Ferrier
- Bi the Way
- Disappeared Dad: His father died from illness when he was quite young, which led to his family becoming much poorer.
- Fashionable Asymmetry: A chunk of his hair is shorter on one side. It's never explained why.
- Gang of Bullies: The leader of one several years back, or so rumors say. In reality, things were more complicated than that.
- Gold Digger: When it comes to his fiancée in Dove of Happiness. "What I don't have is money, what she doesn't have is pedigree... It's a good connection."
- Impoverished Patrician
- Long-Haired Pretty Boy
- Momma's Boy: Portrayed more or less in a positive light.
- Only in It for the Money - Claims to dislike Rosemariné and only be his friend for this reason.
- Parent with New Paramour: According to a flashback in the epilogue. Specifically, he found out that his mother and Rosemariné's father had a love affair going on. Awkward, to say the least...
- Spell My Name with an "S": Is it de Ferrier, of Pheli, or du Faye?
- Spot of Tea: He's always drinking the stuff, and he admits that it's very important to him.
- Teen Genius (and Brilliant but Lazy, to a degree)
- Blue Blood
- Girliness Upgrade
- Good Scars, Evil Scars: Has some noticeable scars on her face; she gained them following an unfortunate accident in which her hair caught fire when she was trying to save Serge from a punishment she thought he didn't deserve.
- Kissing Cousins: With Serge.
- The Ojou
- Regal Ringlets
- Temporary Blindness: Had this immediately following the incident where she got burned.
- Unlucky Childhood Friend: She's been in love with Serge for a while; sadly for her, though, not only does he think of her as more like a little sister, but he also still feels guilty about her burn-scarring.
- A Day in the Limelight: About 2 volumes worth of the manga are devoted to his life.
- Blue Blood
- Deceased Parents Are the Best
- Expository Hairstyle Change: A couple or times. When he was young his hair was shoulder-length, as he got older he started wearing it shorter and following a time skip (during which Serge was born) he has grown it out and wears it in a ponytail.
- Generation Xerox: He's essentially Serge with fairer skin and blond hair.
- Ill Boy
- Love at First Sight: Towards Paiva.
- Posthumous Character