Characters: Kaze no Stigma
A character sheet for the manga/anime Kaze no Stigma.
open/close all folders
A former member of the Kannagi household. He was banished from the family by his father and changed his name to Kazuma Yagami after being defeated by Ayano during the successor ceremony for "Enraiha", his family's sacred sword, due to his inability to use Enjutsu. Four years later, he returns to Japan as a skilled master of Fūjutsu.
- Anti-Hero: Especially in the novels. He is very violent and tends to kill most of the antagonists (and severely injure many others along the way).
- Battle Couple: With Ayano.
- Because You Were Nice to Me: The reason Kazuma saves Misao: She saved him from bullies when he was younger.
- Belligerent Sexual Tension: Again, with Ayano.
- Berserk Button: It's recommended that you don't perform Human Sacrifice, especially with his little brother Ren. It reminds him of his greatest failure.
- Big Brother Instinct: Towards Ren.
- Blow You Away: He couldn't master Fire Magic, so he mastered Wind Magic instead. He has a pact/contract with the spirit king of air, so he has a few more feats and tricks up his sleeve than other Wind Mages.
- Bodyguard Crush: Ayano's father uses the excuse of hiring Kazuma as Ayano's bodyguard to keep the two together in hopes of pairing them off, but Kazuma is actually smart enough to realize.
- The Comically Serious
- Cynicism Catalyst: Kazuma's failure to protect Cui-Ling in the backstory led him to undergo Training from Hell and becoming a pretty brutal Anti-Hero.
- Deadpan Snarker
- Declaration of Protection: He promised Cui-Ling to protect her, only to fail. He now has decided to protect his present; Ayano.
- Face-Heel Turn: For a few episodes near the end.
- Flight: Can use his wind powers as transportation.
- The Gadfly: Loves causing Ayano trouble.
- Glowing Eyes of Doom: When he reaches his full power, his eyes become "blue as the azure sky".
- Heroes Want Redheads
- I Let Gwen Stacy Die: His failure to protect Cui-Ling motivates him to awaken his true powers to protect those around him.
- Intimate Healing: Early on, he gives Ayano medicine via a kiss.
- Jerkass/Jerk with a Heart of Gold: Goes back and forth.
- Kids Are Cruel: He was regularly beaten up as a child due to his lack of fire magic.
- Kissing Cousins: Him and Ayano are second cousins.
- Love Makes You Crazy And Evil: In the last arc of the anime. He gets better.
- Manipulative Bastard: Especially in regard to Ayano.
- Mind Probe: Used by his evil side.
- Mistaken for Murderer: He's lured back to Japan to set one of these up. A powerful Wind Mage is killing Kunnagis, and he's a powerful Wind Mage with a motive to do just that.
- My Greatest Failure: Being unable to stop Cui-Ling's sacrifice.
- Nigh Invulnerable: Kazuma uses a magical shield that can block or deflect most attacks. Conventional weapons especially can't even scratch him.
- Noble Demon: He plays the part of mercenary, extorts gold out of fairies, and likes to mess with Ayano, but beneath it all, Kazuma's a good guy.
- Only in It for the Money: Of the "don't-want-to-act-like-I-care" sort.
- Opposites Attract: With Ayano.
- Parental Abandonment: A subversion. He was disinherited and cast away by his parents, but that was to make him able pave a way for himself and succeed at life. Had he stayed a Kunnagi, he wouldn't have been in a very good position at all.
- Pet the Dog: He visits his father at the hospital and tells him to take care of himself.
- Pummel Duel: Has several with his father in one episode.
- Rapidfire Fisticuffs: Kazuma usually fights using his powerful long-range magic but proves himself exceptionally capable in this tactic as well during his Pummel Duel with Genma at the resort.
- Red Eyes, Take Warning: When he turns evil.
- Red Oni, Blue Oni: Blue Oni to Ayano's Red Oni.
- Shoot the Dog: More so in the novels of course, but it still stands.
- The Spock: To Ayano's McCoy and Ren's Kirk.
- The Stoic
- Sugar and Ice Personality
- Super-Powered Evil Side: Subverted. If Ayano is correct in her analysis, he's actually less powerful in this state; a claim backed up by his attacks lacking their usual precision, has a lot more trouble with opponents he had previously Curb-Stomped, and an inability to access his full powers. Played straight in that he's basically a loose cannon and a danger to everyone around him like this.
- Take a Third Option: His guiding philosophy, it would seem.
- Tall, Dark and Handsome
- Tall, Dark and Snarky
- The Tease: In a rare male example.
- Took a Level in Badass
- Training from Hell: After Cui Ling's death.
- Troubled, but Cute
- Worf Had the Flu: A justified version with Kazuma vs. Ayano late in the series. Kazuma's evil persona is sufficiently less powerful than his norm that Ayano (who usually cn't hold a candle to him) is finally able to win a bout. Kazuma even lampshades this when he begins returning to his senses.
- You Taste Delicious: While Kazuma was pouring some fine wine, some of it splashed onto Ayano's face. The powerful wind mage decides not to let it go to waste and licks it off his partner's face.
The successor to the Kannagi family's head. She holds Enraiha, the Kannagi's sacred sword, which she won by defeating Kazuma at the successor ceremony four years before the start of the story.
- Action Girl
- All Girls Want Bad Boys
- Ancestral Weapon: Enraiha has been passed down to members of the Kannagis' for generations.
- Arrogant Kung Fu Chick
- Badass Adorable
- Battle Couple: With Kazuma.
- Belligerent Sexual Tension: With Kazuma.
- Cannot Spit It Out
- Clingy Jealous Girl: Ayano claims she doesn't like Kazuma, but she sure seems a bit too interested anytime he's hanging out with another woman.
- Clothing Damage: Twice: In the fight with the first Big Bad, and again in the first fight against Katherine.
- Cool Big Sis: To Ren.
- Curtains Match the Window
- Cute Little Fangs
- Daddy's Girl: Called one in the light novels by her friends. Apparently Ayano doesn't find the attractive qualities of her father in many men her own age.
- Dangerously Short Skirt
- Fiery Redhead: Literally.
- Flaming Sword: Enraiha, a wooden sword passed down the family line from the Spirit King of Fire
- Get A Hold Of Yourself Man: To Kazuma in the last arc of the anime.
- Hair-Trigger Temper
- Heir to the Dojo
- He Is Not My Boyfriend: To Kazuma.
- Hellish Pupils
- Heroic BSOD: In the novels, after her friends shrink back from her in terror when she first demonstrates her power in front of them. She then gets enveloped by a puny slime monster that shouldn't have had a chance, and Kazuma has to bail her out and restore her confidence.
- Hime Cut: Signifying her status as the successor of the Kannagi family.
- Hold the Line: In the first arc's Big Bad boss fight, she has to keep him back while Kazuma charges up for an attack. He lets her get knocked around a little before releasing it, of course.
- Humble Pie: Gets knocked down a couple pegs in the first arc by Kazuma, who she could barely remember as "Guy I easily trounced during the successor ceremony."
- Idiot Hair: In one scene you can see Ayano putting a great deal of work into making sure she has one of these, including combing her hair a certain way and liberal amounts of hairspray.
- "I Know You're in There Somewhere" Fight: With Kazuma in the last arc of the anime.
- Indirect Kiss: She drinks Kazuma's coffee while he's battling a Pandemonium player.
- Indy Ploy: A huge fan of these.
- Intimate Healing: When Kazuma gives her medicine via a kiss.
- Kissing Cousins: She and Kazuma are second cousins.
- The McCoy: To Kazuma's Spock and Ren's Kirk.
- Ms. Fanservice: Has tons of Panty Shots, two Furo Scenes and suffers constant Clothing Damage.
- Opposites Attract: With Kazuma.
- Panty Shot: And lots of them.
- Playing with Fire: Part and parcel of being a member of the Kannagi Family.
- Red-Headed Heroine
- Red Oni, Blue Oni: Red Oni to Kazuma's Blue Oni.
- School Uniforms are the New Black: Ayano wears her school uniform at all times. Lampshaded when she takes her time picking between three identical outfits in the amusement park episode.
- Its actually a very expensively made uniform that is immune to her powers.
- Second Love: For Kazuma.
- Tomboy with a Girly Streak
- Town Girls: The Neither to Yukari's Femme and Nanase's Butch.
- Tsundere: And a textbook example at that.
- Tsurime Eyes
- Zettai Ryouiki: Grade C.
Kazuma's younger brother. He looks up to Ayano and practically worships Kazuma, stating that one day he hopes to be as strong as him so he can protect everyone.
Ren and Kazuma's strict father. Though he is responsible for banishing Kazuma from the Kannagi family, he only wanted his son to find his own path in life.
Though Kazuma defeats him in their first battle in years, Genma is the strongest En-Jutsushi of the Kannagi's, and wields the blue Divine Flame, Sōen, which only eleven others have wielded since the founding of the clan.
Ayano's father and Genma's cousin. He is the current head of the Kannagi family.
Older daughter of the Tsuwabuki family, who are skilled "Chijutsushi
", however she was born without the ability to control earth magic. During her father's absence due to "illness", she becomes the head of the Tsuwabuki family. Like Kazuma, she was ostracized for her lack of power by her family.
Younger daughter of the Tsuwabuki family. She was supposed to be sacrificed in Taisai, the ritual of taming the behemoth within Mt. Fuji every 30 years preventing the volcano from erupting, but decided to make a clone in order to replace her.
A mysterious girl Ren meets in the park in the middle of the night and he immediately falls for her. Later she is revealed to be the clone of Mayumi Tsuwabuki created in order to replace Mayumi in the sacrifice ritual. Using the treasure of the Pixies, which is an egg that will hatch into the tribal leader of the Pixies, Ayumi's growth is accelerated, so that within one month, she grew twelve years.
Mayumi's servant who is determined to protect her.
A detective working for the Tokyo MPD's Special Investigation Unit, in charge of investigating crimes related to jutsu.
One of Ayano's best friends and classmates. She and Yukari know about the existence of jutsushi. She is a very athletic student and is admired by many of the female students.
One of Ayano's best friends and classmates. Yukari, along with Nanase, often teases Ayano about her apparent crush on Kazuma. She is well-connected to the information network of the student body and often knows what is happening around the school.
The girl Kazuma could not protect. She was sacrificed by the head member of the Armagest Erwin Leszaar to summon a demon.
Not as gentle as she looks.
A member of the secondary part of the Kannagi family. Her brother was the only person kind to her, but was killed by Ryuuya when he, alongside another Kannagi relative, were on a mission for capturing Kazuma. That's the reason why she believes Kazuma was the responsible for his death. After Ryuuya's defeat, she makes killing Kazuma her goal.
- The Atoner: After Michael Harley is finally destroyed she asks Kazuma to leave her to die, but Kazuma convinces her to atone for her sins by living on. She´s currently trying to pay her sins as a nun in some abbey near by Tokyo.
- Broken Bird
- Brown Eyes
- Eerie Pale-Skinned Brunette
- Hair Decorations: Sports a headband.
- My God, What Have I Done?: After attempting to kill Kazuma twice, with no success, Michael Harley takes his chance and seduces her with the false promise of granting her enough power to get her revenge. She gathers inside her body the souls of many innocent victims, and even kills her own family in order to obtain that power. Michael Harley tells that their deaths were not a sin if the goal she was seeking was honorable, but when she finally confronts Kazuma and loses her battle, she realizes that those were nothing but lies and faints in horror.
- Playing with Fire
- Revenge Before Reason
- Stepford Smiler
- Yamato Nadeshiko: Subversion. She looks and acts the part but her train of thoughts and actions are very different, specifically killing her family for power.
A member of an American family of Enjutsushi, specially skilled in creating and controlling spirit beasts to harness flames.
- The Rival: Considers herself this for Ayano in both fire magic and love.
- Verbal Tic: "...desu wa"
One of Ren's best friends. Always butting heads with Kanon Suzuhara, Tatsuya is always trying to keep Ren to himself in order to help him pursue more manly things in life.
- Ambiguously Gay: Though outwardly he appears to like Ren in a romantic way, he's really only concerned that Ren will be too feminine if he hangs around Kanon.
- Lightning Glare: With Kanon.
A classmate of Ren Kannagi and Tatsuya Serizawa. She has a crush on Ren and tries her best to get his attention, though she gets into a fight with Tatsuya over Ren, since he wants to be with Ren.
A mischievous fairy who played scared people at Ayano's school, causing everyone at the school to think that a ghost was haunting the place. Tiana later approaches Kazuma about a treasure that was stolen from the king of the fairies, and hires him to retrieve it.
Son of Hyoue Kazamaki, leader of the Fūga Clan, which served the Kannagi for the last 300 years.
A young boy from the Stars of Sagacity, an organization related to Kazuma's past and Tsui-Ling's death. He uses Misao's anger at Kazuma and promised to grant her wishes. In truth, he only uses her as a medium, in order to obtain enough yoki, or life energy, to kill Kazuma.
The chairman of Armagest, a powerful organization of modern magic users. He holds a grudge against Kazuma for killing his master. He is also the man who sacrificed Cui-Ling.
The entity that was made in Cui-Ling's image by Wernharde.