open/close all folders
An elf from Dnnac Ledo on a Study Abroad program. She befriends Eric shortly after his arrival.
- Attack Its Weak Point: One of the functions of her Death Killer bow is to grant the arrows it shoots whatever properties will hurt the target most. Then she buries the arrows in the location they will hurt the most. For example, a monster with crystals in its body? Plunge the arrow into the center one and then radiate sound that shatters the rest.
- Action Girl: She starts out as an archer, and The Stinger at the end of Mana Mutation Menace shows that she picked up use of the Simple Staff at some point.
- Badass Bookworm: She's not a professional warrior like other Action Girls in this verse but her vast knowledge of monsters and magic, combined with a special bow that she created herself, enables her to be a terror in battle.
- Bookworm: Her study abroad home is in a library and she takes full advantage of this fact.
- Character Tic: Annala tugs on her ear when she's nervous or embarrassed. It's a trait unique to her for more than just her Pointy Ears. Other elves don't do this.
- Cute Bookworm: In the words of Tasio, Annala is a "cute and sweet nerd".
- Hidden Depths: Would you believe that she is/was a daredevil? Her Mad Scientist mom made her self-mending clothes because of it. It relates to her Crisis of Faith. Taking extreme risks and allowing her Healing Factor to repair her body when the risks fail was how she reassured herself that she wasn't forsaken by her race's patron goddess.
- Magi Babble: Annala tries to explain magic theory or monster behavior to her friends, Revas and Oito, but because she always uses technical terms, they don't get it. Instead they rely on Eric for the Layman's Terms.
- Mayfly–December Romance: Annala refuses to consider a relationship with Eric because she is immortal and he is not. "I could blink you'll be a rotting corpse". This very thing happened to her aunt, Triste. Despite all kinds of magical aid to prolong his life, Mori just heeled over one day and it drove her insane. Eric solves this problem by asking Annala's deity, who happens to fancy himself Eric's "bestest friend", to make him immortal like her. He does and Relationship Upgrade ensues.
- Touched by Vorlons: During the events of Transcending Limitations, Annala is possessed by the Top God, Lady Chaos, which fundamentally alters her mind, body and soul. One result of this is acquiring many new abilities and divine-level power.
- Weapon of X-Slaying: She created a bow that makes the arrows nocked to it capable of doing great harm to reapers. She calls it a "Deathkiller bow". While it can "kill them" in terms of destroying their physical body, it cannot (as of Mana Mutation Menace) truly destroy them.
Revas and Oito
A cat and lizard beastfolk who are two of Eric's school friends.
- Those Two Guys: They are minor characters who are never seen apart, friends of The Protagonist, and provide comedy.
- Red Oni, Blue Oni: Revas is a hotblooded cat beastfolk who is quick to extend his claws, whether metaphorically or literally. Oito is a cool headed lizard beastfolk who is reasonable and remains calm in high stress situations. The former has red hair and the latter has blue scales.
- Bald of Evil: He is an exception to the general Bald of Awesome listing for orcs. He is gluttonous, unlawful, and a rapist.
- Fat Bastard: He's so "heavily muscled" that he can't bend over and clip his own toenails. He's not Nice to the Waiter, or anyone else for that matter. In fact, he attempts to rape his temporary maid and then bribe her rescuer into looking the other way. When Eric refuses, Tahart decides to eat him instead.
- Insistent Terminology: He is not "fat". He's "heavily muscled".
A formerly human girl mutated in the Siduban Chaos Explosion, she now researches a cure for mana mutation. She works for the International Community Dedicated to Mana Mutation as a field agent.
- Badass Bookworm: She is a field agent for the International Community Dedicated to Mana Mutation. This means she hunts monsters for a living so she can study them to advance medical knowledge.
- Berserk Button: Don't call her a "lab rat". She insists that she was a "patient of experimental therapy".
- Dark and Troubled Past: She is a survivor of the Siduban Chaos Explosion and her parents were not. She was adopted by her mom's business partner because her remaining blood family was afraid of her mutation. Since then she has faced discrimination for being a demon and a "labrat".
- Insistent Terminology: What the ICDMM did to her were not "lab rat" style testing; it was "experimental therapy".
- Flashback Echo: She will occasionally flashback to her mana mutation and that of her sister when seeing someone else mutate.
- Freakiness Shame: Kallen dislikes transforming into her true form, a chimera, because she is ashamed of it. When she does a partial transformation to help Eric come to terms with his own mutation, he is fascinated by it instead of horrified.
- The Gadfly: As can be expected of Tasio's "favorite follower", she loves speaking cryptically to annoy people, challenging their points of view, and heralding change in their lives.
- Happily Adopted: She has no trouble calling Nunnal, her adoptive mother, "mom" and is looked up to by her adoptive younger sister.
- Kill the God: Kallen Selios' airship, Albatros IX, has a "smite gods" button. It channels divine power that she received from various events such as the Siduban Chaos Explosion. It only took two direct hits for this thing to kill a low-rung Grim Reaper. Emily points out the Bullying a Dragon aspect of this but Kallen does no care.
- Morality Chain: After Eric mana mutates and then recovers, she becomes his handler so he doesn't hurt anyone and also his teacher in re-learning sapient society.
- Multiple Head Case: Her true form is that of a four-headed chimera. Three of them (goat, lion and dragon) emerge from her neck and the fourth one (snake) comes out of her posterior as a tail. All of them represent different aspects of her personality and so they present different viewpoints. Thus they argue.
- Pink Means Feminine: Kallen implies that she dropped out of the Royal Academy of Magical Learning because she didn't like wearing the girl's uniform, which was very pink.
- Ride the Lightning: When Kallen receives a blessing from Ligol, the lightning goddess, one of the abilities this grants her is teleporting via this method. Her body, and that of anyone touching her, transforms into lightning and then strikes where she wants to land. This means she can't use to go anywhere lightning wouldn't be able to reach, such as, a room deep underground.
- Taught by Experience: She schools all the academy mages at the New Scepter competition because of her vast degree of experience fighting monsters in the wild in addition to all the research she has done. When one lives or dies by their magical ability (power, technique, knowledge, etc.) then one is simply better than another who has only done classroom demonstrations.
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: Her green hair is indicative of the fact that she was born in Mithra.
- Weapon of Choice: Like the vast majority of mages, she uses a Magic Staff but with the addition of a crystal spearhead because of all the monster hunting she does.