First Duke Selen Esrah
- Archnemesis Dad: His Evil Plan drives a wedge between him and Siron and they ultimately come to blows. Despite subduing and imprisoning his son, he still feels it necessary to give him girl advice.
- Evil Plan: He orchestrated Kasile's kidnapping and then the coup at the climax of A Mage's Power in order to become king.
- Manipulative Bastard: When Kasile investigated her own kidnapping, he pretended to be her greatest aid when he was truly the one she was looking for. He twisted her conclusion to frame her for treason.
- Man Behind the Man: The Big Bad of A Mage's Power is not the mysterious and powerful gang leader that orcastrates Kasile's kidnapping. He's just The Brute for the real Big Bad. His end goal was to become this for the country of Ataidar. The goal of his first plan was to become the queen's most trusted advisor and the prince consort's father, and thereby rule Ataidar from behind the scenes.
- Well-Intentioned Extremist: During his Motive Rant he calls Kasile a poor excuse for a queen because of her arrogance and paranoia. He believes that taking the throne from her is for the good of Ataidar.
Second Duke Siron Esrah
- The Atoner: Starting in Looming Shadow he becomes Kasile's servant and guard dog to make up for what he did in A Mage's Power.
- Calling the Old Man Out: Confronts his evil dad on his treachery at the point of a sword.
- Distressed Dude: He was one of the Black Cloak's captives in A Mage's Power.
- Honor Before Reason: He himself points out that the only thing he has to gain from exposing his father's plan is staining his family's reputation and exposing himself to charges of treason. He explains that he couldn't live with himself otherwise.
- Knight in Shining Armor: A chivalrous nobleman who insists on propriety and protecting the Crown Princess.
- Not So Stoic: His first scene is when he's clad in armor, complete with helmet, and acting out courtly rules. When the Joust turns into a monstrous blood bath, he quickly turns into a teenager worried about his dad.
- Rescue Romance: He plays along when his dad wants to invoke this for him and Kasile. He later does it for real when his dad springs his coup and Kasile warms up to him as a result.
- The Stoic: He tries to give the impression that he's this unflappably polite gentleman but he is unable to fully hide emotions like anger, disappointment or worry.
- Technology Marches On: He can move easily and quickly in full plate mail; even respectfully kneeling to the crown princess without difficulty. When Dengel, who only knows of armor from two thousand years into the past, mentions this, Siron replies that metalurgy has advanced and his own suit is state of the art. It is both lighter and stronger than what Dengel is familiar with.
First Baron Darwoss the Elder
Second Baron Norej Darwoss
Second Duchess Hailey Heleti
- Beauty Is Never Tarnished: She is a reconstruction of the trope. Yes, she does get bruised during a fist fight, cut by blades etc. but she has a spell for that. She's so skilled with it that she doesn't need words or a staff. Give her a minute and she won't look like she was ever in a fight.
- Dude Magnet: According to Nolien, he himself and their younger brother, Dosh, are the only boys in Heleti that are not crushing on her. When she attends the Festival of Arin's Ascension in Dnnac Ledo, she quickly attracts admirers there as well.
- Early-Bird Cameo: She is fully introduced in Mana Mutation Menace but her first appearance is actually in A Mage's Power. That girl at the head of a girl posse in Roalt castle with the Heleti crest? That's her.
- Girly Bruiser: She is an elegant noble who is fond of dancing, flirting and fashion. The dancing influences her fighting style and she has special hunting outfits for spearing plague wolves. In a fist-fight she and Tiza are evenly matched.