Characters: I Know What You Did Last Summer
open/close all folders
Characters Introduced in the First Film
Portrayed by: Jennifer Love HewittThe main female protagonist of the first two films. One night, on the fourth of July, she and her friends accidently run over a man and leave him to die. They make an agreement not to talk about it. The next year she and her friends and aquiantences who had little to nothing do with the incident, are all stalked by a serial killer who knew what they did. It's revealed that the so called innocent man they ran over was the killer himself, and that he wasn't innocent to begin with.In the second film she wins a vacation to the Bahamas, and goes along with her friends, but is once again stalked by the killer. She ends up confessing the truth to her new friends, and one of them is revealed to be the killer's son.
- Action Survivor: She does shoot the Fisherman about eight times....
- Badass BoastJulie: Just. Fucking. Die!
- Brainy Brunette
- Fanservice: Jennifer Love Hewitt running around in a tanktop? And then there's her bikini scene in the second movie..
- Girl Next Door
- Happily Married: To Ray as of the end of the second film.
- Nice Girl
- My God, What Have I Done?: Her reaction to covering up the accident
- Official Couple: With Ray.
- What Happened to the Mouse?: We don't know if the end of the second movie was a dream, and the third movie doesn't really help. The third movie implies she was indeed killed by the Fisherman, who was a ghost by that point.
Portrayed by: Freddie Prinze JrThe main male protagonist of the first two films. He was one of the teenagers who run over a man on the fourth of July. While he promised not to speak of it, Ray decides to look into it for closure. He is breifly suspected to be the killer himself before Ben reveals himself. Together, Ray and Julie defeat the killer, but still don't confess of the incident.In the second film, he and Julie are in a relationship. When Ray discovers the killer is still alive, and when Julie heads to the Bahamas, he ends up having to go rescue her and her friends. They manage to kill Ben and his son for real in the final showdown. A year later, he and Julie move in together.
- Action Survivor
- Big Damn Heroes: Especially in the second movie.
- Determinator: In the second movie; having a broken arm, sailing alone through a huricane, and only form of medical treatment he had is pain killers, was not enough to stop him.
- Happily Married: As of the end of the second film, with Julie.
- The Hero: Had to save Julie twice.
- Official Couple: With Julie.
- Red Herring: In the first movie, he is breifly suspected of being the killer.
Portrayed by: Sarah Michelle GellarJulie's friend and Barry's girlfriend. She was one of the teenagers who hit the Fisherman in the first place. It all started when she one local beauty pagent, and her friends went celebrating. The Fisherman aparently knew this because the next year he broke into her house and shaved her head. She is killed shortly after her boyfriend. In the second movie, it's shown that Julie still misses her.
- Badass: The only one to give the Fisherman a run for his money.
- Break the Cutie: Her entire life more or less spiraled downwards since the teens hit Ben Willis.
- The Determinator: Puts up quite the chase when the Fisherman attacks, and even puts up the struggle when he attacks her one last time.
- Dumb Blonde: Averted. She put up more fight than anyone else during her chase scene. It didn't save her though.
- Fallen Princess: Helen's lifelong dream was to become a famous actress. A year later, her career failed horribly, she's more or less a joke, and is forced to work for her older sister, Elsa, who hates her.
- The Fashionista: Very much into her own looks, thus why the Fisherman cuts off her hair.
- Girly Girl: Very feminine in style and interests.
- Go-Getter Girl: She moved to New York to pursue an acting career. It didn't work out.
- Kill the Cutie: Poor Helen...
- Lovable Alpha Bitch: Fits the description.
- Nice Girl: Genuinely a nice person who treats everyone well.
- Ms. Fanservice: Thanks to the beauty pageant, which includes a bikini contest.
- Parental Abandonment: Implied. Helen's father only has one scene. In it, he's too focused on a football game to even acknowledge his daughter's existance.
- Sacrificial Lion: Raise your hand if you thought she might actually make it?
- Spoiled Sweet: Until her hopes and dreams came crashing down.
- Tragic Dream: All her life she dreams of being an actress only for it to come crashing down around her. Even then, she keeps hoping. And then she dies.
- Why Won't You Die?: She literally went down fighting off the Fisherman.
Barry Willaim Cox
Portrayed by: Ryan PhillippeHelen's boyfriend. He was one who made everyone promise not to talk about the accident. When the killer stalks them, he becomes paranoid that someone mouthed offed about the incident. The paranoia takes his Jerkass level Up to Eleven. He is killed during the second beauty pageant while Helen watches from the stage.
- Asshole Victim: Barry is the main reason they covered up the accident
- Berserk Button: He really didn't like being reminded of the hit and run.
- Hot-Blooded: Just about every douchebag moment is fueled by his short temper.
- Jerk Jock: Hyper-aggressive, douchey jock
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: He redeems himself late in the movie when he promises he won't let anything happen to Helen. He spends his last moments proudfully watching her at the next pageant.
The Fisherman/Ben WillisThe Big Bad of the movies - Starts off as a man who blamed his would be son in law for his daughter's death since he survived the car wreck that killed her. On the way home from killing him, he is run over and left to die by the main characters. He survived and stalked them the next summer, killing anyone who stood in his way. When it was down to Ray and Julie, he was defeated and left to die, again.In the second film he returns to exact vengence on Julie and Ray, this time working with his son. He stalks Julie to the Bahama's during storm season so they can't leave. He is finally defeated and killed in the final showdown.In the third film, he is made into an urban legend, and was the subject of a prank played by a new group of teenagers. Said prank ends up killing one of their friends. The next summer, someone is stalking them and they suspect a copycat killer. Turns out to be the original killer, who somehow was ressurected as a zombie/ghost like entity.
- Asshole Victim: From the very beginning.
- Badass Longcoat
- Big Bad: Of all three movies
- Back from the Dead: In the third movie.
- Even Evil Has Loved Ones: His motive for the first murder was because he blamed the victim for his daughter's death. In the second film, he goes berserk when his son is killed.
- Knight Templar: Heavily implied in the third film
- Luke, I Am Your Father: Is the father of Will Benson.
- Our Ghosts Are Different: His status in the third movie.
- Obviously Evil: The creepy guy with a hook and dark outfit is the killer? No way!
- Red Eyes, Take Warning: In the third movie after The Reveal.
- The Reveal: One per movie
- First, that he's the killer and has been one since they night he got run over.
- Second it's revealed he's still alive and his son is working with him.
- In the third film the "copycat" is none other then the orignal killer as a ghost or a zombie.
- Roaring Rampage of Revenge: His motivation in 1/2.
- Serial Killer: Goes with the slasher territory
- Walking Spoiler: Hard to explain ANYTHING about him without spoiling who he is
Characters introduced in the second film
Portrayed by: BrandyJulie's best friend and roommate. She encourages Julie to go on a trip to the Bahamas with her and their friends. She is aware of the killings in the first film but was unaware of the events that led up to them.
- Action Survivor: Was seemingly killed by Ben Willis, but later revealed to have survived.
- Determinator: Still puts up the chase even falling the roof of a greenhouse while dealing with an injured ankle afterwards.
- Black Best Friend: To Julie.
- No One Could Survive That: Falling through the roof of the greenhouse and still managed to escape the Fisherman.
- Shipper on Deck: Despite Julie and Ray dating, she constantly tries to set her up with Will.
- Token Minority Couple: With Tyrell.
Will BensonOne of Julie's new friends who joins her on the trip to the Bahama's. During the trip, he grows close to Julie. Later revealed to be the son of Ben Willis and his accomplice in his second murder spree. He is accidently killed by his father in the final fight.
Tyrell MartinKarla's boyfriend, who attends the trip to the Bahamas. He doesn't belive Julie's story about Ben at first, when he actually see's dead bodies, and finds someone tried to kill Julie, he got involved. He was later killed by Ben before the climax.
- Badass: His first instinct when he see's Julie locked in a tanning bed? Tries to pull it open with his bare hands.
Characters introduced in the third film
- Expy: Could be named Julie 2.0
- Final Girl: Subverted. Amber's the heroine for most the movie, but presumably dies moments after it ends.
- Flat Character: One of the blandest, most predictable, stereotypical final girls around.
- Girl Next Door
- Nice Girl
- Official Couple: With Lance.
- Expy: Of Ray.
- Final Boy: The only character to survive the movie.
- Official Couple: With Amber.
- Red Herring: First suspect of the messages.
- Expy: He pretty much makes the perfect Barry replacement.
- Jerkass: He is the Barry of this movie...
- Jerk Jock
- Hot-Blooded: Colby's short temper gets him into a lot of fights
- Teeth-Clenched Teamwork: The only reason Colby helps the others is to save himself
- Driven to Suicide: Subverted, he attempts suicide but falls victim to Ben Willis.
- My God, What Have I Done?: Having to keep the secret drove him to suicide.