Characters: Haikara San Ga Tooru
- Arranged Marriage: With Benio.
- But Not Too Foreign: Half-Japanese, half-German.
- Heroic Bastard: He was born of an affair between a high-ranking Colonel in the military and a German noblewoman, but his parents couldn't marry.
- Masculine Girl, Feminine Boy: He and Benio, somewhat. And while not that girly, he is more patient and sensible than she is.
- Military Brat
- Nice Guy
- Parental Abandonment: His mother is dead and his father is a high ranked Colonel who works abroad in the military. What's more, his mother was a German noblewoman who never was accepted by Japanese society, so she had to leave baby!Shinobu with the Iijyuin clan, which leads to him being...
- Raised by Grandparents
- Star-Crossed Lovers: He and Benio, after he loses his memories. They get better, though. Also, his parents were those as well, since his mom was a German noblewoman, and they were in love, but didn't marry due to her heritage and social standings.
- Trauma-Induced Amnesia: During the fight in Manchuria, which causes a lot of trouble in his relationship with Benio.
- Uriah Gambit: He subjects to this by an army major who holds a grudge against him, which is the reason why he's sent to Machuria to fight.
- Badass Grandpa: Shinobu's grandfather, Played for Laughs.
- Star-Crossed Lovers: Shinobu's grandmother and Benio's grandfather. They were in a Perfectly Arranged Marriage, but were torn apart by political/social standings (One family was pro-Shogunate, another supported the Meiji Restoration), which is the reason why the arranged marriage to Benio and Shinobu happened, so his grandmother would this as a sort-of solace.
- Beta Couple: With Tamaki.
- Eye Scream: In the past, he lost his left eye very messily. He explains to Tamaki that this happened when he was a child, when trying to protect the girl who was his first love.
- I Owe You My Life: Towards Shinobu.
- Red Baron: "The Black Wolf of the Manchurian Steppe"
- X Marks the Hero: He has one his left cheek.
Voiced by: Makio Inoue
- He-Man Woman Hater: Due to his mother, who abandoned him, so he has serious issues towards women. He falls for Benio later, because she's the only woman he trusts.
- Romantic Runner-Up: Oh, Tousei, even though you fall for Benio, you really don't stand a chance against Shinobu...
- Second Love: For Benio, until towards the end.
- Broken Bird: In the past.
- Driven to Suicide: Also in the past, when her lover, an army officer, was killed during World War I.
- Second Love: She and Benio's father.
- Yamato Nadeshiko: The most straight-up case for this trope. This is justified: She's a geisha, so either being or making herself look like one is how she makes a living.
Countess Larissa Mikhailovna
- Broken Bird
- Fallen Princess: After the Russian Revolution, where she lost everything, including her husband.
- Hair of Gold, Heart of Gold: Blond, young, pretty, girly and very sympathetic. And ultimately... so, so tragic.
- Heroic Sacrifice / Diving Save: She dies while saving Shinobu from a Falling Chandelier of Doom. In her dying words, she tells Shinobu to marry Benio and be happy.
- Ill Girl: She's got tuberculosis and has a pretty short lifespan because of that.
- Loving a Shadow: She falls for the amnesiac Shinobu because she looks like her dead husband Sasha. And even more: Sasha is Shinobu's half-brother, which is why she sees the very strong resemblance between Shinobu and Sasha.
- Regal Ringlets
- Romantic Runner-Up: In regards to Shinobu, which is further complicated by the situation mentioned above. It ends...tragically.
- Tomboy and Girly Girl: Girly girl to Benio's tomboy.
- Widow Woman
Count Sasha Mikhailov
Voiced by: Hiroshi Masuoka