open/close all folders
Vetch/Kiron, AvatreThe main character of the series. In the beginning, he was a "Serf", basically a step down from a slave. His father was murdered when he was very young and he was taken from his home to serve his new "master". He was basically the kid who did everything nobody else wants and still got beat up every day.He didn't have any real friends, until he met Ari, a Tian Jouster, he befriend Vetch after he stood up for him to "Khefti the Fat". Claiming he needs a strong able bodied lad, Ari takes Vetch to the Jousters Compound to serve as his 'Dragon Boy". Basically a Stable Boy for a Dragon instead of a horse. After that, things get complicated...Vetch quickly manages to out preform every other boy in the compound with his diligence. And he and Ari eventually become friends. Then one night he gets very lucky. He witnesses the Tian dragons in a mating flight. After the business is over, Vetch forms a brilliant and daring plan. He decides to take care of the mother dragon long enough to take one of her eggs! He'll hatch the egg and use the baby dragon as a means to escape!Vetch manages to pull off every part of his plan perfectly. His egg hatches into a female dragon he names Avatre. Unfortunately, he and Avatre are eventually caught at flight training. Avatre takes off and the pair try to make their way to Vetch's home country of Alta. In the end, Ari manages to catch up with them. But instead of trying to take them back to Tia, he helps them to escape! After that Vetch now Kiron returns to Alta, then things get really complicated...
- Badass Normal
- Bash Brothers: With Ari and Orest.
- Big Damn Heroes
- Disappeared Dad: Dead dad... it was rather tear jerking actually.
- The Hero: He is the main character after all.
- Made a Slave: Made a Serf (which is pretty much the same thing, but explicitly worse) when he was only a child.
- Pintsized Powerhouse: Granted he wasn't the Hulk when he was a kid but, he was surprisingly strong for someone his size.
Ari-en-anethet, KashetAri is a Tian Jouster. He was trained as a scribe as a boy, and it was in this capacity that he first entered the Compound of the Tian Jousters. He is a very honorable and decent man. At the end of the first book he helps Vetch to escape from Tia, after seeing how Vetch would rather die than return.After the pair are reunited, It's revealed he is the son of the Tian King's brother. Kashet, Ari's dragon is the first tame dragon in history.
- Anti-Hero: In appearances only, it's complicated.
- Bash Brothers: With Haraket and later Kiron.
- Big Brother Instinct: To Vetch.
- Deadpan Snarker
- Fighting Your Friend: He and Kiron faced off near the end of the second book. Much to both their displeasure.
- Foreshadowing: In Joust, Haraket comments that Ari treats the Gold of Honor like an unwanted gift from a relative. Two books later, it turns out that Ari is indeed related to the Great King of Tia.
- Heroic B.S.O.D.: He'd get these a lot after having to participate in some nasty battle tactics.
- Morality Pet: He figured being nice to Vetch would make him feel better about all the people he was causing to suffer.
- Papa Wolf
- Reasonable Authority Figure
Orest, WastetThe brother of Aket-Ten and youngest son of a wealthly yet recluse landlord, Orest was a kind yet spoiled yong man.While Orest is lazy, Wastet is picky, everything in his life must be in order or he is not a happy dragon.
- Dork Knight
- Plucky Comic Relief: Basically his major role in all of the books.
- Spoiled Sweet
- Unfazed Everyman: When you grow up alongside a little sister with magical powers, you get used to it pretty quick.
Menet-ka, BethlanMenet-ka was shy, he's the kind of person hangs at the back of any group, and who seldom makes eye contact. He could be so successful at self-effacement that most people who knew him would have a hard time describing him, and if there were three other people in a room, would forget he was there.While Menet-Ka dislikes drawing attention to himself, Bethlan practically demands to be the center of attention, especially when she's hungry.
Ka-lenthet, Se-atmenThe falconer, Kalen (as he liked to be called) has immense store of patience. Kalen was the smallest of the boys, thin, wiry, and clever.Where Kalen is petiant and understanding, Se-atmen is firey and temperamental. Despite her temper, Se-atmen is extremly loyal to her rider.
- Beware the Nice Ones
- Friend to All Living Things: As a former Falconer, Kalen has a small soft spot for animals.
Pe-atep, DeothThe cat keeper, Pe-atep is Kalen's match in patience, and his exact opposite physically. He has a flat face and a booming voice.While Pe-atep is good at being heard, Deoth would much rather crawl into a hole and hide until he was certain it was safe to come out. Deoth is an oddity among dragons in that he is extremely shy and jumpy.
Ganek-at-kel-te-ronet, KhalephGanek-at-kel-te-ronet (or Gan for short) is tall, lanky, and has a languid air about him that might give the impression that he didn't care a great deal for anything except, perhaps, food and gossip. Nothing could be further from the truth. His airs conceal a passion as fervent as Orest's.While Gan is vain, Khaleph will do just about anything to please those around him. He is as modest as any dragon could get.
Oset-re, ApetmaThe peacock of the group, and a friend of Orest's. He is, to put it bluntly, the most handsome of the group. Women would often flirt with him covertly and openly. Beneath the seeming vanity was a hard purpose, honed to razor sharpness.Like Se-atmen, Apetma had a bad temper. But she can always be counted upon when the time calls for her to follow her riders instructions.
Huras, TathulanHuras is the son of a baker, he was the lowest-born of the lot. But was second to no one in his intelligence. Anything Huras ever reads stays in his memory forever. Otherwise, he was average-looking in appearance.While Huras is a hard worker, Tathulan is the easiest-going dragon alive. She much prefers to relax around and enjoy the admiration her gorgeous appearance regularly attracts.
- Beware the Nice Ones
- Genius Bruiser
- The Team Normal: Of the original wing, he is the only rider with no powers, connetions to influencial people, or talent with animals (even Orest is a great animal trainer).
Toreth, Re-eth-katenToreth was always a man divided. Then again, he had to be; as one of the likeliest heirs to the thrones, and a dragon rider, his life was certainly a busy one.In truth, Toreth had become wary of a group of royal advisors calling themselves the Magi. The young prince even went so far as to try and recruit Kirons wing as a means to stand up agains't them. Sadly the Magi had know all along what Toreth had been up to and assasinated him to try and stop a rebellion before it could start. Fortunatly Toreth's life was not lost in vein, thanks to his clever habit of thinking ahead his friends managed to finish the plan he had come up with to remove the old Jousters from both armies. A move that would later help put an end to the long war.Interstingly Re-eth-katen is very much like her rider. She is both cautious and calm, and never rushes into anything without thinking things through first.
Jouster Compound Tia/Alta
Haraket - TiaOverseer of the Jousters Compound in the land of Tia, basically he's a clerk. Haraket is initially distant towards Vetch, not certain if a Serf can handle the job. However, he soon becomes quite protective of him as well as Ari.
- Badass Grandpa
- A Father to His Men: All those who serve under him respect him, whether they're servant, slave, or serf.
- Knight in Sour Armor
- Jerkass Fašade: He comes across as grumpy but once you prove yourself to him, he's as tame as a kitten.
Baken - TiaHe is a quiet serious young man who works well with animals. He used to work with Falcons until he decided to try his hand at Dragon training. He begins the series as a slave, but is given his freedom for his services with the dragons. This puts him at odds with Kiron in the first book.
- Friend to All Living Things: Always good with the dragons in training.
- Not Good with People: Baken actively despises people who abuse animals and claim to be masters at working with said animals.
Lord Khumun - AltaLord of the Jousters Compound in the land of Alta. Unlike his Tian counterpart, he also acts as his own overseer, and is much more aware of what occurs in his compound than Haraket.
- Big Good
- A Father to His Men
- Da Chief
- Drill Sergeant Nasty: Once in a while.
- Suspiciously Similar Substitute: For Haraket.
Heklatis - AltaHeklatis is a doctor and a sorcerer from the land of Akkadia. Heklatis is a very practical and direct man, which sometimes leads to confrontation. He's also a homosexual.
- Agent Peacock
- Ancient Grome: Where he's from
- Camp Gay: He played a rather hammy performance to irritate and frighten a Magus once.
- Healing Hands: He may have the "healing by touch power".
- The Medic
- Straight Gay: except for the above mentioned scene with the Magus, its very easy to forget that Heklatis prefers the company of his own gender
Khefti-the-fatMaster brick layer, Khefti-the-fat, is a cruel Tian, he was the Vetch's master for some time and treated the boy terribly while he was under his care. Until one day, when a Jouster happened to observe Khefti's cruelty and confiscated Vetch to tend his dragon right under his nose.
- Acrofatic: Despite his girth, he's about as agile as any avarage man.
- Chronic Backstabbing Disorder: He's been accused of it.
- Dirty Coward
- Fat Bastard: It's in the name after all.
- Kick the Dog: One of Khefti's favorite activites was to wake Vetch in the moring with a good swift kick to the gut.
- Not-So-Harmless Villain: Subverted, once he's out of the way their second encounter Vetch never has to indure the man's prescence again.
The MagiPrimary villains of the series, though they're not "formally" introduced until the second book. An organization of powerful magicians. Almost nothing is known about them, except for the fanaticism to their self interest.
- Frickin' Laser Beams: Their "Eye of Light" fires a laser beam.
- Kick the Dog: They once used the magical device they call "The Eye" as a Wave Motion Gun to "keep the people in line". It was not pretty.
- Names to Run Away from Really Fast
- The Unfettered
- Utopia Justifies the Means: A utopia for them anyway.
- Would Hit a Girl: Or drag one from her home if they believed it help their cause.
Aket-tenAket-ten is Orest's little sister and a "Winged One" of Alta. A powerful young girl with the ability to speak with animals. Unfortunately the Magi start to come after her for that very power. She faked losing her gifts as a way to hide from the Magi. She eventually took over Toreth's dragon after his murder.
- Action Girl: Sure, she may a bit of a spoiled crybaby at times, but she'll still be the first to charge into enemy teritory.
- Annoying Younger Sibling: Orest certainly thinks so.
- Beware the Nice Ones
- Blessed with Suck: In the beginning many people didn't think her "Animal Speech" powers would amount to much; that quickly changed.
- Cute Witch
- Hair-Trigger Temper
- Intelligence Equals Isolation: She's very smart, but not as good at making friends as Orest.
- Plucky Girl
- Speaks Fluent Animal
- Badass Bookworm
- High Priest: Essentially acts as this for all the priests of Sanctuary in the third book, by virtue of being the Mouth of the Gods for both Alta and Tia. At the end of the fourth book, he becomes the Chosen of Seft, essentially Seft's high priest.
- Lonely Rich Kid: Not as good at making friends as his more "out-going" brother Toreth.
- Seers: After his twin's death, he becomes a Winged One with the ability to see the future, as well as a "Mouth of the Gods", basically a vehicle for prophecy.
- Shrinking Violet: He's very shy and insecure during the second book.