Shinobu was born in the mountain regions of Japan. Shinobu was a cadet of the Australian Space Military Academy before the invasion on the Muge Empire forces. After the school was closed due to destruction, he was transferred to the Far East's Special armoured unit, the Bestial Fighter Troop or Jyusenki Tai (Known in the English version as the Cyber Beast Force). His hobby is hang gliding. Shinobu is an extremely talented pilot
, but his rash temper
and over confidence
tends to land him into situations over his head. Nevertheless he is a straightforward character. His blood type is A.
- Ace Pilot: While the rest of Juusenkitai counts, he's the only one who rides a fighter jet (the Eagle Fighter actually uses the same cockpit as the type he and Sara trained in) and his outrageous flying skills are commented upon several times.
- Badass Adorable: He is a Hot-Blooded Bad Ass Ace Pilot... who occasionally acts like a little child. (A particularly notable moment is where he jumped, hugged Sara and kissed her on the cheek, after his wish to give the titular mecha the ability to fly is granted.)
- Belligerent Sexual Tension: With Sara.
- Big Damn Heroes: Saves To Dancougar Nova and its pilots in Super Robot Wars Z2: Hakai-hen.
- Brutal Honesty: To a one shot character. (Being trapped inside a Lotus-Eater Machine situation is NOT better than facing reality.)
- Catch Phrase: "Yatte yaru ze!"translation In the Super Robot Wars series, he gets vocal if others say it.
- Combination Attack: Dankuu Sougaken with Aoi.
- Dumbass Has a Point: Despite how he usually acts, he is the most battle-ready of the Jyusenkitai, which is part of why he was chosen to be its leader. Masato is immature and unskilled, Ryo hesitates to kill fellow humans, and Sara is still unable to accept Shapiro's Face-Heel Turn, even after making the decision that she is the one who will bring him to an end; Shinobu has none of that.
- Flanderization: That case where he gets vocal if others say his Catch Phrase? Only happened ONCE in the series, invoked by Ryo.
- Get Ahold Of Yourself Man: He gives one to Ryo later.
- The Hero
- Heroes Want Redheads: For Sara.
- Hidden Depths: He is the most straightforward character in the show. Until you realize that he is the ONLY character who actually thinks about the effect of war. It's rather jarring since the reason that Igor punched him for his lack of discipline is because he is showing his concern toward his teammates and the civilians. Heck - once Ryo punched him for not showing up in time for a mission, but he was late because he was getting a kid to safety.
- Hot-Blooded: All the Dancougar pilots are like this, but Shinobu was the patron saint of this trope before Domon Kasshu and Kamina came along, along the lines of Kouji Kabuto.
- Idiot Hero: His antics sometimes caused problems early on. (Example: getting out of Eagle Fighter during their mission in Peru lead directly to him and Sara getting captured.)
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold
- Man Child: Ryo described him as a little child with a toy (the Eagle Fighter) once. This is also lampshaded by Laura. Borders on being an Informed Attribute, as he's perfectly mature and realistic on the battlefield.
- Never Tell Me the Odds: Will ignore or disbelieve data if it limits his freedom to act. And it shows, to Alan's embarrassment.
- Running Gag: He's constantly getting his ass kicked in fistfights.
- Second Love: For Sara.
- Sempai Kouhai: In Super Robot Wars Z2, Team-D refers to him as "Sempai." (Masato did too, initially - and having graduated in a later class than the others actually has reason to - but dropped it after they point out how they're on the same team.)
- Smarter Than You Look: Despite being an Idiot Hero, he's still a military graduate, and is relatively well-educated.
- Talking to Himself: Whenever Judau Ashta shows up in the Super Robot Wars series.
- What the Hell, Hero?: Gets called out quite a few times for his lack of discipline.
- Performed one to General Igor, and for good reason. He is punished for his effort though.
Sara Yuuki hails from the Izu peninsula. She was assigned to the Far East Armoured Unit a few days later than Shinobu due to several circumstances. During her days at the Australian Military Academy, she had fallen in love with her Commander Shapiro Keats
, before he defected to the Muge Empire. Ever since then she's been torn between her old love and new hatred towards Shapiro
. Sara is known for her fiery temper
and enjoys swimming and music. Her blood type is AB.
- Action Girl: Is surprisingly capable in hand-to-hand combat.
- Armor-Piercing Slap: And Shinobu is the most common victim of it.
- Badass: THE most Badass member of the Juusenkitai, as she doesn't have Ryo's hesitance towards attacking fellow humans.
- Belligerent Sexual Tension: With Shinobu.
- Cry Cute: A tough-ass lady usually, but when she cries in Shinobu's embrace, she's... different.
- Fiery Redhead: Part of the reason she was chosen to be in the Juusenkitai was for her temperament. The fact that she's a redhead is coincidental.
- The Lancer
- No Pronunciation Guide: Her name is Japanese and 'Sara' is in Romaji - the actual pronunciation is 'Sah-Rah' with short vowels, not the English-spelled 'Sarah'.note
- Rapunzel Hair: Reaches her belt line. You'd think it would be impractical in a cockpit...
- Red-Headed Heroine: Leans more towards pink.
- Spotlight-Stealing Squad: Hoo boy, if not for her position you would think she is the main character. Towards the end of the show, she has even more focus than before.
- Tsundere: Type A.
- Woman Scorned: Towards Shapiro, later in the series.
Masato was born in the Iwate Prefecture. Masato's father was the President of an arms manufacturing plant, and his family is quite wealthy. Going against his father's wishes
, Masato entered the academy (6th team trainee). He is the youngest member of the Jyusenki Tai
. An active lad, though somewhat immature, Masato's emotional strength makes up for his lack in combat experience. Later Masato's father is killed in an engagement involving a Muge survivor, in "God Bless Dancouga"
. Masato also is the best friend of Laura Sullivan, and her dog Becky. His blood type is B.
After graduating from the Military Academy, he decided to roam about, practicing his Kenpou martial arts
. When the Jyusenki Tai was formed and General Igor asked him to join, he met up with his companions in Kansas City after a major battle. An orphan, Ryo is a quiet man who practices spirituality according to his Chinese Kenpou disciplines
. Ryo's blood type is O.
Shapiro was a former commander of the Australian Military Academy, before he defected to the Muge Zorbados Imperial forces. Stubborn
and intelligent Shapiro is obsessed with becoming the ruler of the Universe and has delusions of Godhood
. Unlike most anime villains, he is extremely competent
, and has actually come within a hair's breadth of defeating the Jyusenki Tai
by exploiting his tactical knowledge of Earth and the human condition. His greatest weakness is his own arrogance
, which eventually estranges him from his own allies and leads to his downfall. He is shot by Sara in the series. In the SRW series
, Shapiro often makes his last stand by piloting a robot.
Emperor Muge Zorbados
General Death Gaia