open/close all folders
The Time Travelers
- Bully Hunter: She befriended Eri via driving away the older girls who subjected her to Stock Shoujo Bullying Tactics.
- Identical Stranger: To Shiro aka Amakusa
- Diving Save: Almost died when protecting Natsuki during the Kobe earthquake
- Good Scars, Evil Scars: A big one on his back coming from the earthquake.
- Star-Crossed Lovers: Him and Natsuki.
Naozumi "Kotaka" Yatsuka
- Ambiguously Bi: Yearns for Natsuki and Shirou. In fact, when he ravished a prisioner Shirou, he was thinking nonstop of Natsuki.... Could also fall into either Depraved Bisexual or Situational Sexuality.
- Expository Hairstyle Change: His hair has grown very long after spending more years in the past than the others.
- Face–Heel Turn: He arrived to the past years before Natsuki, was taken in by the nobleman Terazawa Katataka and became their retainer - as well as a prosecutor of Christians, and the one who killed Shirou. Therefore, when Natsuki finds him, his mental/emotional state is... not pretty.
- Heel–Face Turn: Returns to the side of good gradually, after Natsuki has a chance to get to him.
- Kill the Ones You Love: In a rather twisted example, he killed Shirou because after years of abusing him he was beginning to become attracted to him, and not necessarily because of his resemblance to Natsuki.
- Red Baron: "Falcon Lord"
- That Man Is Dead: "The boy named Yatsuka... he doesn't exist anymore!"
- Unrequited Tragic Maiden: Very, VERY Rare Male Example.
- Yandere: The motivation behind his repeated raping of Shirou is that he bares a more than passing resemblance to Naozumi's Unrequited Love, Natsuki.
- Girlish Pigtails: Originally had short hair, then let it grow into braids.
- Romantic Two-Girl Friendship: With Natsuki. She even says she'd be head-over-heels in love with a boy!Natsuki.
- Shrinking Violet: At first
- Tomboy and Girly Girl: The girly girl to Natsuki's Tomboy
- Big Damn Heroes: In the Unzen valley, when a bunch of Christians were going to be tortured to death with boiling water, he uses a trick to make their captors believe that a red dragon had risen from the water.
- Heroic B.S.O.D.: Almost suffers one when he learns that word of his and Kichou's relationship has leaked and that's why she was imprisoned.
- Sempai Kouhai: He's one year younger than Natsuki and the others.
- He Is All Grown Up: Since he landed in the past five years earlier than Natsuki and Eri, when they find each other again he is taller and older than them. Natsuki invokes the trope word by word!
Seika "Mariana" Akishima
- Elegant Classical Musician: More exactly, she was a member of the school chorus and a talented singer. Not to mention she had planned to go study music abroads after graduation.
- Hair Decorations: Wore a hairclip with her school uniform
- I Broke a Nail: She says this before she and the other kids start working with Natsuki to help out people after the Kobe Earthquake.
- Japanese Christian: While all of the kids are Raised Catholic, Seika is the one that takes it more seriously. She's sure that this is a Mission from God pretty much from the start.
- Lovable Alpha Bitch: Slightly. She comes off as more flighty and spoiled than the others, but has a kind heart and does her best to help.
- Pimped-Out Dress: Her trademark outfit is a white gown. (Justified Trope: she was about to perform on-board right before being Trapped in the Past, thus she had just changed into the gown when Hell broke loose.) Though she later changes to more simple and practical kimonos.
- Defeat Means Friendship: Is jealous of Natsuki at first, but once she defeats him he defers to her.
- Dogged Nice Guy: To Seika, though she says "He's not my type".
The Tokugawas and their associates
The Tokugawa and their associates
- Historical Beauty Update: He's made into a Tall, Dark, and Handsome Bishōnen here. Understandable, as he was in his early-to-mid 30's when the Shimabara rebellion took place.
- Scars Are Forever: Even when his eyepatch covers his lost eye, we can still see parts of a rather stylish scar.
- Worthy Opponent: Seemt ot be this to Miyamoto and Natsuki.
- Face–Heel Turn: He once was a Christian, but when told that "Christianity would bring the ruin to Japan" he apostacized and started openly oppressing Christians. Natsuki is rather depressed when she finds out from Eri.
- Klingon Promotion: At the receiving end, when Naozumi kills him to capture Tomioka Castle and become its lord.
- Knight in Sour Armor: As he speaks to Natsuki, we learn that he has become horribly jaded after years of fighting.
People from the Shimabara area
Masuda Shirou, aka Amakusa Shiro
- Famous Last Words: Of blessing and forgiveness towards his killer, Naozumi. "Yatsuka-sama.. God's guidance is with you..."
- Identical Stranger: Natsuki is this for him.
- Incorruptible Pure Pureness: And HOW.
- Posthumous Character: And we all know what happened with him.
- Sex Slave: Became this to Naozumi, after being captured. According to Naozumi, Shirou never yielded to him: he first attempted to understand his "lord"'s broken psyche and then to use this to try helping both Naozumi and his fellow Christians... but when Naozumi realized that he was falling for Shirou, he was so shaken that he strangled the poor dude to death, and then threw his lifeless body into the sea.
- If I Can't Have You...: When the imprisoned Kichou stands her ground and refuses to tell him what he wants to hear, he leaves her in the water prison.
- Unwitting Instigator of Doom: Historically speaking, he was the lord whose evil behavior started the Shimabara Rebellion in itself. And from what we see, his in-story role won't be much different.
- Broken Bird: Despite being the mistress of Matsukura and with all the riches she wanted, she always felt lonely and empty. Seeing one of "Shirou"'s miracles made her start to regain hope.
- Death Trap - Kill It with Water: In chapter 29, Kichou and a woman named Yone were placed in a water prison. In Kichou's specific case, it's because Matsukura believes that she has slept with other men despite being his mistress — with said man being Eiji (The most she did was kissing him and giving food to peasants behind Matsukura's back.)
- Defiant Captive: When Matsukura confronts her in the water prison, Kichou refuses the "adultery" accusations against her and tells him not to abuse the villagers anymore.
- High-Class Call Girl - The Mistress: She's referred to as "the prostitute of the castle" as despite her great beauty Kichou actually was an "aishou", a lord's lover in a lower rank than legal wives and prostitutes.
- Hooker with a Heart of Gold: She's actually a Nice Girl, when you get to know her.
- The Ojou: Sorta; looks and acts the part but her status is quite low indeed.
- White Shirt of Death: Barely averted! Kichou is wearing a white robe when in the Drowning Pit, but both she and her companion Yone are saved by Natsuki and her group.
- Unkempt Beauty: She still looks quite pretty after she and Yone are rescued from the Drowning Pit Matsukura threw them in.
- Bi the Way: Has felings for both Shirou and Eri.
- Heroic Self-Deprecation: Sees the time travelers in a borderline gold-like way.
- Unlucky Childhood Friend: Shirou's
- Distress Ball: Natsuki saves her from two samurais who were planning to kill her for being a...
- Team Dad: hen again, he is Shirou's father
- Rescue Romance: Genderflipped: she's the one who saved the amnesiac Miyamoto
- Defiant Captive: She's heavily pregnant and gets tossed in a water prison for being a Christian. She refuses to give in, and when Kichou hesitates due to her worry for her, Yone tells her not to rat out Natsuki and Co.
- Expy: She plays the in-story role of the real life pregnant peasant whose imprisonment kicked off the whole Shimabara rebellion. Only that, in the story itself, Yone wasn't alone in there: Kichou was thrown in as well.