Page-bottom layout change on the way. Details here.
Causes no change to editing/formatting of articles. This is just FYI.
Blog: The Black Legion of the Dark Lord Sketch Melkor
The Black Legion of the Dark Lord Sketch Melkor
is centered around tumblr user freshprinceofbeleriand
, who has started a parody mixture of a cult
and a religion of evil
. Commonly called Sketch, the runner of the blog is recognized by her followers
from The Silmarillion
and exercises her power in various ways, including getting her followers to write the word 'mayonnaise' in sharpie on themselves
The Black Legion of the Dark Lord Sketch Melkor contains examples of the following tropes:
- Affably Evil: While they seem to generally promote the use of curses, torture and other such questionable activities, Sketch also uses her cult to get her followers to do good deeds, and has made it clear that the sacrifices and general violence condoned in some posts is not to be taken seriously. It is, after all, a work of parody and not an actual cult.
- Amazon Brigade: Like, everyone. The majority of the Legion are girls, with the exceptions being Colm, Allen, Wilf and Jay, who is genderqueer. Excluding the latter, they all seem to be somewhere between Non-Action Guy and The Smart Guy, which just accentuates the fact that most of the girls are either unholy warlords or a variant of Femme Fatale.
- Bait-and-Switch Lesbians: While there's a bit of this with Sketch and almost everyone involved, Heather in particular seems to play with followers' heads. They tag one another in posts complimenting each other, say that they want each others' babies and can be very protective of each other. In the Legion, Heather has the title of Heir to the Dark Throne. While sometimes it's made pretty clear that they're simply friends, there are also posts like this one.
- Dark Mistress: Dakota, AKA tumblr user princess-dakota and creator of this blog holds the title of Official Lap Candy, and can be described as Eerie Pale-Skinned Brunette. She is known to be somewhat possessive of her title, and this has led to some confusion as to whether the runners of the blogs are actually dating or not.
- Demon Lords And Arch Devils: Jay, tumblr user haradrimdrow, who serves as Gothmog, the balrog lieutenant of Melkor in The Silmarillion. They are in charge of foreign affairs, and therefore invaded Canada. Avoids being The Brute by also being able to speak French and supposedly deal with things in a peaceful manner - except that they just don't want to.
- Even Nerds Have Standards: While obviously, as it's based on Tolkien's works, the entire Legion is at least somewhat nerdy, Colm, or tumblr user sherlocksmyth, in particular has frequently been referred to as a nerd. His title is Super High-School Level Detective, and as he is sometimes called 'Sherlock', this may add to his being more of a nerd than everyone else.
- Evil Minions: This blog was created pretty much to honour Sketch.
- Fan-Art: For the most part, in-universe fanart is covered by tumblr user melkory, Elma, and she therefore holds the title of Official Artist and Complimenter. However, art surrounding the Legion is not limited to Elma - for example, Dakota is in charge of the cult logo, and Sketch herself has been known to sketch.
- The Intern: Allen, tumblr user dzannan is apparently studying under Sketch to learn her ways, and has a few times reported to her about how well he's doing. Strangely enough, he is listed as being the Official Husband of the Dark Lord. It's pretty clear, though, that the title of husband is relative.
- Little Miss Badass: Sketch herself. She's recognized as being a manifestation of Melkor, is the leader of a cult, and often has complaints about the high school she goes to.
- Mook Lieutenant: Feanor-the-christmas-elf, AKA Wilf, is the Chief Lieutanant of the armies of orcs, balrogs, dragons and other such creatures under the command of the Dark Lord Sketch. He came up with a latin inscription for the money used within the ranks, and contributed to the Legion's naming.
- Mordor: Or, at least, the internet equivalent. If it's to be taken seriously, it's literal - except that they're based somewhere in Utah.
- Mouth of Sauron: Ace, the PA of Sketch, who ironically holds the title of Sauron. She and Sketch seem to go to school together and often complain about one another. Sketch also claims, frequently, that Ace has died and will accept prayers in the form of $10 bills.
- Non-Action Snarker: Cup, at first glance, appears to fit this trope perfectly. However, she also punched someone out for degrading feminism, and seems perfectly fine with opposing some of the weirder aspects of the Legion. Cup also holds the title of Official Dad Joke feat. Cookies. It Makes Just as Much Sense in Context.
- Noodle Incident: The memos.
- Obviously Evil: They're on the internet and openly refer to themselves as minions of the Dark Lord Sketch. Granted, that's part of the charm.
- Only Sane Man: Mac, who is tumblr user youreavulcannotavulcant, and is arguably The Watson to Sketch. Mac seems to be the only member of the Legion who has attempted to talk Sketch out of any of her dastardly plans for world domination.
- Rule of Cute: Dakota, in particular, likes cute things. She has stated that her room is the prettiest, and "will fight anyone who opposes [her] to the death".
- Running Gag: Sketch is most certainly not cute, and any suggestion that she might be will be met with threats of unimaginable pain and curses upon your entire family, friends, and pets.
- Unusual Euphemism: Actual swears or explicit references to more 'mature' subjects, except, of course, violence and violent uses of magic, are rarely seen on the blog. Instead, 'doing the frick-frack' and other such euphemisms are generally used by Sketch and her minions.
Other members of the cult not mentioned above include tumblr user legolasagna
, who is the Mouth of Sketch; and tumblr user i-fell-in-the-river-styx
, the Cuddle Puddle Master.