- The prologue sequence with Trinity's escape. Absolutely the greatest introduction of a character ever.
- Neo's escape from the cubicle room, with Morpheus almost omnisciently telling Neo the exact instant in which to perform an action.
- Each instance where Bullet Time is used, most particularly the scene where Neo dodges the bullets on the rooftop.
- Neo and Trinity shooting up the lobby, a huge combination of awesome moments and Awesome Music.
Neo walks through the metal detector and it goes off.
Guard: Sir, could you please remove any metallic items you are carrying... Keys, loose change...
Neo opens his trenchcoat to reveal enough guns to kill a small city.
Guard: Holy shit!
- This doubles as hilarious.
- "Dodge this" was Trinity's true Crowning Moment. The character could not possibly do anything to come even remotely close to topping that...
- ...Until she stole the Ducati in Reloaded.
- Cypher, or Mr. Reagan, in his speech, "Ignorance is Bliss." He just perfectly illustrates the reason for the red pill/blue pill decision. Some people just aren't ready for the Matrix, and if you act without thinking, it's hella hard to get back in. Just awesome.
- No list of awesome moments from this film is complete without mentioning the sparring match between Morpheus and Neo in the dojo. "You think that's air you're breathing now?"
- What makes it better is the line that kicks it off: "Morpheus is fighting Neo!" Cue Trinity and Co. bolting out of the mess hall to see the fight.
- Even after downloading combat skills for ten hours, Neo still gets a Let's Get Dangerous moment on top of that: Compare his hey-this-is-fun expression early in the first round to his fatigue at the end, then his calm focus when they cut back for the rematch.
- The scene in the subway station where Neo decides not to run from Smith, turning and fighting him instead. And proceeds to take him down after a very nail biting fight.
- The best part of that fight was when Neo at one point starts head butting Smith almost like he was mocking him with his own style of fighting.
- Even Mouse gets his moment when he realizes his escape is cut off and he's doomed. What does he do? He decides to go out like a Badass. He waits until the entire SWAT team is there, hefts some heavily modified automatic shotguns, and unleashes MORE DAKKA, GUNS AKIMBO.
- He also notably throws in a final scream for good measure.
- Tank reveals he's Not Quite Dead and kills Cypher with a Lightning Gun.
- Trinity's helicopter is stricken. Neo picks up a rope. A rope? Is he mad — expecting to somehow stop a falling chopper? We soon realize that Neo, in a split second, has formulated the only plan that could possibly work, counts on Trinity to come up with the same plan, and successfully executes it. He not only acts faster than us, he thinks faster than us. This is Neo's Moment of Awesome. There can be no doubt: He is The One.
Tank: "I knew it! He's The One!"
- The chopper crashing into the building is one of the single most definitive examples of Visual Effects of Awesome in the movie. The chopper doesn't just crash, it molds into the building and sends a wave rippling through the side as if the building's made of gelatin. All topped off with a nice big explosion.
- Morpheus snapping his handcuffs to majorly heroic Awesome Music.
- "My name... Is NEO!"
- The scene where they save Morpheus with a helicopter and a mini gun was pretty damn awesome, especially how it played out in slow motion with Smith's Little "No".
- When Neo fully realizes that he's indeed The One.
- Just sticking his hand out making the bullets fired by the Agents stop mid-air.
- Neo's most awesome moment came after his resurrection, when he single-handedly fought off Agent Smith, with a look on his face suggesting he was even more bored (or distracted) than usual. It marked how Neo was now operating on a level so far above the Agents, he didn't even have to try.
- And, of course, when he destroys Agent Smith, forcing the other agents to run.
- A meta-example...the original Matrix was nominated for several visual and sound effects categories at The Oscars along with The Phantom Menace. AND SWEPT THEM ALL. AGAINST STAR F'N WARS. The cinematic equivalent of David curbstomping Goliath.