Anime: The Wings of Rean
"The wings of Rean are with me!"A six episode, Original interNet Animation (ONA) spin-off of Aura Battler Dunbine, Yoshiyuki Tomino's The Wings of Rean (Rean no Tsubasa) revisits the world of Byston Well, as well as the original series' themes of "war is hell" and "hate only breeds more hate", while telling a tale of giant robot insects kicking the snot out of each other.The story kicks off with Ordinary College Student Asap Suzuki being called upon by a couple of his pals (who are STRONGLY opposed to America's military presence in Japan) to help them steal weaponry from a military base where Asap's father is stationed. Although reluctant, Asap is eventually coerced, and his pals proceed to steal a rocket-propelled grenade launcher, which they then fire upon the American naval fleet also stationed at the base. When all hell breaks loose, otherworldly battleships suddenly appear in Tokyo Bay, bringing with them a host of insectlike Humongous Mecha, and a girl wearing a pair of special boots which sprout the titular Wings of Rean.The girl, Lyukusu Sakomizu, is a princess from the kingdom of Hojo in the land of Byston Well, who, in an attempt to aid La Résistance against her father, king Shinjirou Sakomizu, stole the boots of the wings of Rean, which allow their chosen wearer to open up the Aura Road and travel between worlds. The second that she asks Asap for his help, however, Sakomizu's army arrives, chasing after La Résistance, and Asap and his friends are dragged along when both forces return to Byston Well.Trapped in Another World, Asap finds that the boots have chosen him as their new bearer, and is labeled a "Holy Warrior" by Sakomizu. Sakomizu himself was a World War II kamikaze pilot who witnessed the nuclear bombing of Hiroshima and was flung into Byston Well where he had become The Chosen One, fought a Humongous Mecha war, and wound up king of his very own country. However, Sakomizu is now obsessed with returning to the surface world, and upon doing so, is unable to bear the sight of Tokyo as it is today — covered in concrete and steel, and being influenced by the Americans who destroyed his hometown.Asap, having accquired the Aura Battler Nanajin by stealing it from Sakomizu's forces, must now find a way to prevent Sakomizu from nuking Tokyo to wash away its western influence, as well as stopping Sakomizu's treacherous wife, Codorre from joining up with the local General Ripper and attempting to Take Over the World.
The Wings of Rean provides examples of:
- Another Century's Episode - The Nanajin and Oukaou made an appearance in the second game as unlockable secret characters, and the third (loosely) adapts this series' plot as per Massive Multiplayer Crossover standards.
- Bittersweet Ending - Sakomizu redeems himself by preventing Tokyo from being nuked, the surface world and Byston Well are separated from each other once again, and Asap appears to have a future with Lyukusu... Until she fades into nothingness for seemingly no reason other than because True Art Is Angsty.
- Butterfly of Death and Rebirth - Sakomizu's personal Aura Battler is the Oukaou, whose resemblance to a giant butterfly (with katanas) foretells his Redemption Equals Death scene in the finale.
- But Not Too Foreign - Both Asap and Lyukusu have Japanese fathers. Asap's mother is American, while Lyukusu's is a natural-born resident of Byston Well.
- Cartwright Curse - See Bittersweet Ending.
- Conspicuous CG - The Aura Battlers.
- Everything's Better with Princesses - Rebellious Princess Lyukusu.
- Evil Matriarch - Codorre Sakomizu nearly outdoes her predecessor from Aura Battler Dunbine.
- Facial Markings - Sakomizu has large dark circles painted around his eyes for whatever reason.
- Humongous Mecha
- La Résistance
- Meaningful Name - Asap's name references the infamous acronym standing for "As Soon As Possible". The Nanajin's name references both the Seven Lucky Gods, as well as the Japanese name of the Carausius morosus (Walkingstick) insect it resembles. The Oukaou's name references the Ouka kamikaze plane Sakomizu flew during World War II.
- Sakomizu catches the Nanajin reference.
- Mythology Gag - The Nanajin changes colors inexplicably from green to red following the Time Travel sequence. This mirrors the fact that the previous series had the Billbine, which inexplicably changed colors from red to green amidst the Climactic Battle Resurrection at that series' climax.
- The Red Nanajin is also faster and more powerful, which is a reference to anything red being this, per by Char Aznable's legacy of the original Gundam.
- Nuke 'em - The Hiroshima bombing is shown via a bizarre sequence which may or may not have been actual Time Travel. Sakomizu tries to do this to Tokyo, but changes his mind.
- Phenotype Stereotype - Both Asap and his father have the expected blonde locks.
- Power Gives You Wings - Pretty much the whole point of the titular wings. Aside from sprouting from the boots which pick out The Chosen One, both Sakomizu's Oukaou and Asap's Nanajin sprout larger versions at the series' climax.
- Real Men Wear Pink - Asap is rockin' a set of pink and white body armor given to him by Sakomizu.
- Redemption Equals Death- Sakomizu pulls a Heroic Sacrifice to save Tokyo from a nuclear explosion he himself brought on while in Hyper Mode.
- Samurai - Sakomizu seems to fancy himself one. Many of the featured Aura Battlers have samurai-themed equipment, including flintlock aura guns and Katanas... Flaming katanas.
- Scenery Porn - The last scene of the show in particular is absolutely breathtaking.
- Spell My Name with an "S" - All over the place thanks to Tomino's esoteric naming. The best example is Lyukusu/Luxe/Luks/Ryukus/etc.
- Super Robot Wars - Makes its debut in Super Robot Wars UX, which also includes Dunbine (though Dunbine debuted much earlier).
- Tragic Keepsake - The little paper doll in Sakomizu's Ouka. It also serves a Chekhov's Gun as it causes Sakomizu to perform a last-minute Heel-Face Turn. It's never said who gave it to him but considering what it caused it's definitely someone close.
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair - Lyukusu.