- Angst? What Angst?: When she climbs out of the wreckage of the city for which she was partly responsible Gharta basically says "Well that was awful. Now moving on."
- Designated Hero: Learoyd reeaallly straddles the line between this and Anti-Hero. It has been noted multiple times that Learoyd has almost no emotional connection to the animal people and that he only helped to rescue Keneil because he was also in danger. If he could have weaseled out of the situation without rescuing them he probably would have. He took advantage of the hospitality of a Dying Town and later suggested leaving a wounded Aelbert to die.
- Ugly Cute: Gharta is very cute for a warthog.
- The Un-Twist: The Great Champion whose species has been a topic of debate for centuries... is human!!!
- The Woobie: Poor Dunstan loses his father in the first issue and then has to come to terms with the shady political happenings in the Keneil wreckage. When Learoyd is blown into a raging river by Sandorst he instantly blames himself for not preventing it.
YMMV / The Autumnlands: Tooth & Claw