- Audience-Alienating Premise: A bet between two white-collar workers involving the emotional destruction of an innocent woman as Revenge by Proxy... and that woman is also deaf.
- Funny Moments: "SHOW ME YOUR BALLS!"
- Hollywood Homely: Deaf or not, it's hard to imagine any woman as good-looking as Christine being the insecure wallflower type she's made out to be. Then again, that's the entire point. She is good-looking, and she doesn't realize it because she is a Shrinking Violet.
- Jerkass Woobie: Howard. He has had a bad experience with women in the past, which causes him to agree with Chad's cruel plan. However, he eventually comes to love Christine and tries to call the plan off, only for Chad to double-cross him, drive him and Christine to depression, and get him demoted at work.
- Moral Event Horizon: Chad backstabbing Howard and getting him demoted, as well as him completely destroying Christine emotionally at the end of the film.
YMMV / In the Company of Men