- Alternative Character Interpretation: On the DVD commentary, Zhang Yimou and Zhang Ziyi offer different interpretations on a certain action from the climax. To clarify, Zhang Ziyi believes that Mei doesn't kill Leo because she still cares about him on some level, while the director states that she doesn't care at all and only wants to save Jin.
- Awesome Music: The Beauty Dance, enhanced by Zhang Ziyi's beautiful singing voice. Accompanied by a pretty awesome dance too.
- Ending Fatigue: With all the plot twists and revelations that happen in the film's last moments, it's a bit of a surprise when the credits finally do roll. As noted below, Mei appears to die several times at least before it actually happens.
- Moral Event Horizon: First, Leo attempts to rape Mei because he knows she doesn't love him. Then he kills her because she chose Jin over him.
- Narm: Mei appears to die at least four different times in the film's climax.
- Rewatch Bonus:
- Mei knowing Jin has been watching her bathe since she's not actually blind, and could easily have seen his reflection and caught a glimpse of him.
- Mei's rather great hit record with all the knives she throws is more believable once it's revealed she isn't blind.
- Visual Effects of Awesome: The fight scenes are expertly directed and accompanied by stunning visuals. The film got a nomination for its cinematography.
YMMV / House of Flying Daggers