- Alternate Character Interpretation: There are generally two ways to interpret the Mayor: Either he is legitimately remorseful, and wanted the Exceptional Woman to give a fresh perspective, to maybe forgive him for his crimes and help him find a better way, or he was manipulating the Exceptional Woman into becoming Hive and help him continue the Vicious Cycle. David himself admits that he's not totally sure which one it is, and it may well be both.
- Catharsis Factor: The baby Freak escaping Autodale with the little girl at the end of "Friendly Shadow" counts as this.
- Growing the Beard: The animation has improved with each short. When we first see Hive in "No Monsters", there are only half a dozen, their lungs and heart on a tray. When Hive appears in "Friendly Shadow", they have grown to a massive size, a lair full of bones, flesh and wire.
- Inferred Holocaust:
- Overlaps with Fridge Horror; everyone in Autodale seems to be white. It's already known that LGBT and disabled people are considered "ugly", which leads one to wonder if Autodale exterminated all non-white people who lived in the city?
- The boy from "Don't Feed the Freaks" mentions he came from a place called Town, but is The Last of His Kind, unable to find anybody. Word of God states other towns like Autodale exist with the motif of conforming, but all failed for one reason or another.
- Iron Woobie: Friendly Shadow counts as this. Word of God states he was originally part of Hive, but was given Handyman parts and a robotic body, as his detective work made him qualified to be Autodale's Shady Protector. His machine half and human half are in constant war with one another, and he uses substances to deal with it. He is the star of a propaganda campaign Hive created, but is incredibly disillusioned with Autodale.
- Moral Event Horizon: Hive harshly tells Shadow that because the little girl is associated with the Freaks, she'll be branded Ugly and he has to break his promise.
YMMV / Autodale