- Crosses the Line Twice: The series' treatment of rape and suicide (specially from volume 10 onwards) is quite agressive and may result uncomfortable for many readers.
- How the author deals with John Cross' character.
- Darkness-Induced Audience Apathy: The series is rather interesting and original on its first volumes, but as the story progresses the characters get involved in so much drama it becomes hard to keep rooting for them. Mostly because no matter how much pain a character brings, they're never really punished.
- Heartwarming Moments: Near the end of chapter 23, Meguro casually kisses Maria, reassuring her that she should just be herself.
- Ho Yay: Maria and Anna.
- Nightmare Fuel: Little Maria. And you thought this would be just a cute, coming-of-age, Love Triangle shoujo manga.
- Values Dissonance: How the series handles bullying in some instances. This is most notable with Anna. Anna is mute and was being bullied and made fun of at Maria's old school. Maria stuck up for her, leading to the pair of them being ostracised. However, the series later plays it as though Maria was in the wrong for having done so, as Anna felt driven out by her former friends and hated herself. Later on, Maria thinks she did the same to her mother, as her calling out the people who gossiped about her mother being raped led to her mother being friendless. In Japan there is a much greater emphasis on fitting in and getting along with others, even if they're being cruel to you over things that aren't your fault (Anna's disability in the former case, Maria's mother's rape in the latter). As a result the storyline comes off as presenting Maria being in the wrong for coming to Anna's defence even though she was her only real friend, and Maria being in the wrong for defending her mother from malicious gossip (when she was only a young child, no less).
- The Woobie: Maria. Where to start? She's the daughter of a teenager who was raped, and despite doing her best to raise her, she's Driven to Suicide (at first she wanted to kill her daughter but couldn't bring herself to do it), leaving Maria amnesiac and alone. At Saint Katria, her only friend is actually a manipulator who doesn't defend her when she's expulsed. And at Tatsuoka, she's bullied when she first arrives.
YMMV / A Devil and Her Love Song