- Inspiration for the Work: Wes Anderson said that the film was partly inspired by The River. He also said he owes a debt of gratitude to Martin Scorsese for screening the film personally for him. Anderson also drew inspiration from Satyajit Ray's films and Louis Malle's Indian documentaries.
- Reality Subtext: Francis's suicide attempt mirrors Owen Wilson's attempt, seeing how they both intentionally crashed their vehicles, minus Francis cutting his wrists.
- Vacation, Dear Boy: Natalie Portman travelled to Jodhpur, India, for thirty minutes of shooting, then spent ten days exploring India.
- Written by Cast Member: Schwartzman co-wrote the film with Anderson and Roman Coppola.
- Written-In Infirmity: Wes Anderson wrote in Francis' facial bandages after Owen Wilson intentionally crashed his car in a suicide attempt.
Trivia / The Darjeeling Limited