Yuya's battle with Kyuando continues, and he manages to make a comeback by using an attack to redirect effect damage in tandem with a wrongly answered quiz, dealing heavy damage to Kyuando, and then finds a way to out-think him and his quizzes to deal the final blow.
This episode provides examples of:
- Cutting the Knot: Yuya ultimately outsmarts Kyuando by remembering this isn't a quiz show, it's a duel; the negative effects of the quizzes are just card effects that can be negated or avoided, if he can figure out how.
- Hoist by His Own Petard: Yuya wins by using Kyuando's tricks against him, such as redirecting the damage taken from getting a Quiz wrong.
- Impossible Task: The 5000 Quiz question is to prove Fermat's Last Theorem. The first person to do so in real life took seven years of research after it had gone unproven for over 350 years. How the heck anyone could be expected to answer that question during a duel is a mystery, especially since the quiz cards have time limits. Nevermind that only math experts would know what Fermat's Last Theorem is in the first place. In the dub, this is changed to an equally difficult task, saying the first 100 digits of pi in five seconds.
- Insufferable Genius: Kyuando.
- Secret Test of Character: Nico reveals he's choosing Yuya's opponents in this mindset. Michio taught Yuya no strategy is perfect, and Kyuando taught Yuya to look at problems in different ways to find different solutions than are apparent. This is all to make him a smarter, better duelist.
- Xanatos Gambit: Kyuando's entire game plan is multiple uses of this gambit; his spells and traps allow him to alter a given answer, meaning he can cheat a question to his advantage. Take the effects of Quiz Monkey, Quiz Sphinx and Not So Fast; Monkey asks how many Quiz monsters will remain on the field after the battle, the penalty being one of Yuya's monsters gets destroyed if he is wrong; Sphinx asks which monster has the highest level (Correct and the monster is destroyed and controller takes damage, incorrect and the battle ends) and Not So Fast lets him negate battle damage and destruction once per turn. Yuya is able to break the gambit by negating all of Kyuando's card effects.