- The Control Voice: Human beings naturally fear that which is unknown or different. But unless we strive to conquer those fears, they may exact a price far greater than we can bear.
Twelve years after a tragedy wiped out most of a town's children, a surviving girl begins to display strange abilities.
- The Control Voice: It is said the human capacity for language is the quality which separates us from all other species on Earth. Perhaps it is also the same quality which can link us to those beyond... but only if we are willing to listen.
- Despair Event Horizon: Every child in the small town of Tolemy (with the exception of Cassie and Louis Boussard) died of a rare form of brain cancer due to contamination from the town's mill. This resulted in the townspeople losing all hope for the future.
- Dying Town: The small town of Tolemy is on its last legs after a brain cancer outbreak killed most of the town's children.
- Magic Antidote: Cassie Boussard is able to revive her brother Louis from his 12 year coma after being infused with energy from the alien probe and giving him a special liquid.
- Trauma-Induced Amnesia: The six-year-old Cassie Boussard came into contact with an alien probe which protected her and her elder brother Louis from the brain cancer outbreak that later killed all of the other children of her hometown of Tolemy. However, Louis entering a coma and the death of every other child in town caused Cassie to block out her memories of the alien probe until Tom Young hypnotized her and brought them to the surface.