- The Control Voice: For the crew of the transport vessel Nestor, their moment has come. The eternal night of space has vanished and the night to come will be longer, and darker, than they can possibly imagine.
A cargo spaceship gets trapped in a starless void along with the ghosts of the crew of two other ships.
- The Control Voice: Within the human soul reside mysteries dark and deep; about our frailties, our fears, our shame. Today, or a hundred years from now, the darkest matter will still lie in the human heart.
- Extinct in the Future: In this episode, set at an indeterminate point in the future, dogs are seemingly an endangered species as one was included among the zoo animals being shipped by the commercial transport ship Nestor.
- Our Dark Matter Is Mysterious: The commercial transport ship Nestor is thrown out of hyperspace into a starless void. In this void, they find a huge quantity of dark matter and two ships, the UNS Slayton and an alien ship. Everyone aboard both of those ships is dead. An apparition of Captain John Owens of the Slayton appears to the crew of the Nestor and tells them that their "souls" are trapped in the pocket of space created by the dark matter. As such, they cannot move on to whatever comes next, whether that be Heaven, Hell or oblivion. The same fate has befallen the aliens.
- Tuckerization: The U.N.S. Slayton and the U.N.S. Gagarin are named after the Mercury Seven astronaut Deke Slayton and the Soviet cosmonaut Yuri Gagarin, the first person in space.