The death of a Navy Chaplain sets a chain of events into motion, bringing up old wounds from over a decade ago. Ellie's big brothers are also in town for Thanksgiving, and are intent on discovering her new boyfriend.
- Advertised Extra: After being promoted to the opening credits, but not being featured at all save for a few scenes, Clayton Reeves finally makes a reappearance. This time it is established that he has begun working at the international desk on Joint Assignment between NCIS and MI6.
- The Atoner: One of the mercinaries who was working with the PMCs felt horrible about what he was involved in, so he copied evidence of the wrongdoing, left the company, and was working with the Muslim Navy Chaplain so they would expose the conspiracy and free the innocent inmates from Quantico.
- Big Brother Instinct: The three brothers are in town to vet Ellie's new boyfriend. (And to egg Jake's car...)
- Curb-Stomp Battle: Referenced by the Bishop brothers, as they note McGee, Torres and Reeves could all have taken the three of them out with one hand.
- The Conspiracy: PMCs were told to keep suspected terrorists detained by any means, even if it meant forging the transcripts of an innocent man to make it seem like he was guilty. One merc dropped out of the company ashamed of what he had been a part of, and contacted a Muslim chaplain in an attempt to set things right.
- Hesitation Equals Dishonesty: Reeves gets caught on this twice when he insists he and Bishop are "mates." He claims he only blinked one time, to everybody's disbelief.
- Minor Crime Reveals Major Plot: Man gets killed because a partner is stealing money meant for charity. Said dead man also had classified documents pertaining to Guantanamo Bay, and had connections with one of the inmates.
- Spotting the Thread: In 11 years, nobody thought to verify the translations independently, which is why it becomes so clear that the 'terrorist' is, in fact, innocent when Bishop and her fellow translator quickly discover the deception.