Hiding in the bathroom, Marshall and Lily wait for Ted and Victoria to consummate their relationship. Meanwhile, Barney gets the wrong idea from Robin.
This episode provides examples of:
- Birds of a Feather/The Lad-ette: When Barney invites Robin to hang out with him doing "Bro stuff", Robin appears "suited up", enjoying strong scotch, cigars and laser tag, just like Barney.
- Foreshadowing: Barney and Robin's Ship Tease will become important in later seasons.
- Jail Bait Wait: Discussed by Barney. He states that the only reason to wait a month to have sex with a girl is if she's 17 years 11 months old.
- Like an Old Married Couple: After cancelling their St. Valentines romantic trip to stay at home, Marshall and Lily start to worry that maybe their flame is gone and they're becoming an Old Married Couple.
- Master of the Mixed Message: Barney got it wrong when Robin suggested they could "play Battleship at her apartment". Once Barney understands it wasn't about sex, he immediately realizes Robin is in love with Ted.
- Ship Tease: Barney and Robin spend much time together.
- Shout-Out: Robin and invited Barney to play Battleship at her apartment.
- Tastes Like Diabetes: Invoked when Marshall and Lily try to refrain themselves from laughing at all the cheesy padding Ted and Victoria are exchanging before actually having sex.