Emily transfers to the campaign. Hannah gets a scientist to help her investigate bioterrorism. Tom's transgender sister-in-law is dragged into politics hy Moss, and she agrees to move from France to Washington D.C. for Penny's sake.
- Central Theme: The high price of medications, such as insulin.
- First Period Panic: Averted with Penny, who knows what's going on. She is too embarrassed to tell her father, though.
- Mistaken for Racist: Lorraine announces to Kirkman's campaign that they have to choose a color, then clarifies that it's in the name of symbolism just like Democrats are blue and Republicans red.
- Outside-the-Box Tactic: Finding that their campaign can't get free airtime for a convention because Moss has made it so it only qualifies as a rally, Lorraine takes Dontae's advice and turns it into an "unconvention" and broadcast it themselves online.
- Remember the New Guy?: We learn of the existence of Alex's beloved sister, Sasha, for the first time.
- The Pollyanna: Lorraine accuses Emily of being this.
- Token Minority: Discussed. Aaron doesn't want to be one, but Lorraine insists that having a Latino VP would be very beneficial to Kirman's campaign.
- Too Much Information: Sasha tells Penny that childbirth is worse than menstruation, and that Alex told her that Leo's birth was way worse than hers. Penny's reaction is this trope.