When TV star Mr. Wisdom, films an episode in Hill Valley, Verne goes to meet him in person — only to find out that his hero has some nasty skeletons hidden in his closet.
This episode includes examples of the following tropes:
- Broken Pedestal: Verne originally loves Mr. Wisdom's show to the point that he wants to meet the man personally. After the events of the episode, he changes his mind.
- Depraved Kids' Show Host: Mr. Wisdom, who seems happy-go-lucky on the surface, but has no trouble fleecing people out of their money, dropping kids through trapdoors, and stealing Doc Brown's inventions to sell as his own.
- Evil Former Friend: Wisdom and Doc Brown were frat brothers and roommates in college in the late fifties, and were close enough friends that Doc even told Walter about the concept for the flux capacitor. It wasn't until Walter stole and profited from Doc's perpetual motion hula hoop that he became evil and greedy.
- Floating Time Line: The episode flashes back to Doc's college days in the late 1950's (when hula hoops were popular). Walter Wisdom, who knew Doc back then, even recognizes the flux capacitor as Doc's "old college dream." If you assume that maybe Doc went back to school for another doctorate sometime after 1955, he still seems younger than he should have been.note
- Mysterious Middle Initial: The episode finally reveals what Doc's middle initial L means when Wisdom refers to him as "Emmett Lathrop Brown."Marty: Lathrop? So that's what the "L" stands for!